Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL are useless

Options
  • 14-01-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi All, Just looking for a bit of advice here with my NTL broadband service, iIm just not sure what the next step is.

Basically moved into a new apartment in Rathfarnham in August, signed up with NTL start of September for the 9.99 broadband/digi tv (for the first 6 months) package. Was fine at the start but after a couple of weeks the broadband stopped working, just a blinking light on our modem. Called up and they eventually sent a guy out (complete ignoramus), he says its a problem with the signal coming into the whole building and somebody else will need to take a look. That was that.

Didn't hear anything for weeks, kept ringing, they kept saying somebody is on it, they'll call me bla bla bla usual crap from NTL. One day I came back to find it was working again, great, but of course this was short lived, only lasted a week. So for november/dec I was out of the country, so my flatmate kept hassling them, with same old responsed. For some reason they sent another technician out again?? he said the same bloody thing, its the signal coming into the apartment, I mean how incompetent are they, there seems to be absolutely no or little communication between the helpdesk and the engineers in the company.

Sorry for the length of this post, but basically we're still back where we started, no broadband and we're paying for it. They say we'll be credited when it's fixed but frankly thats not good enough, we've had 3 weeks of working broadband since September that we're being billed for. I keep ringing and asking what can be done, but the people on the end of the line are clueless and there's no point jumping down their throats, they're not the ones at fault. They just keep telling me there's a service log open for it, and they're working on it.

Does anybody have any advice, or has anybody been in a similar situation, its beyond a joke now!

Thanks for reading!

(another quick one, they called to our apartment while I was in the states, my flatmate had specifically said to ring his own mobile since I was away. The NTL moron tried to ring me anyway, didn't get through so he left!!! Then when my flatmate rang asking why nobody called, she saw a note on the computer from the technician 'couldn't get in the black gate' - muppets)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can't really help with the problems, but stop paying would be my first advise. Cancel any direct debit to NTL. Then, see if you can get the bank to reverse all the direct debits since the problem started. You're paying for a service that NTL can't provide and they are not refunding you, so basically they're stealing your money.

Taking the money back from them might spur them into action. Continuing to pay them for doing nothing is little incentive for them to make it any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Appreciate the advice jor, but the thing is we're paying for the tv/internet package and don't want to be left without any TV service. It's still only 9.99 a month for another 2 months, then it goes onto the full whack price. If it's not fixed by then I will be cancelling the DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Maybe cancel the existing DD and set up a new one for the TV only price. Also, ask NTL to refund your money, you don't have to accept credit here if you don't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

www.smallclaims.ie

Start a small claim. You'll most likely get your money back (plus the small expense of raising the claim) or it will get them moving and you'll get a working connection on top of getting your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

tell them you want to cancel the service.
    tell them you have had enough.
    tell them you want to cancel the whole lot but are prepared to keep the tv if they will refund the money youve paid so far, extend the 3 month introductory period and take out the bb.
    tell them you will accpet no less.

dont even get into this with the person on the phone, their supervior, the call centre manager or anyone else.

tell them you want to cancel, they will pass you to "retentions" who actually have the super magic power to dispatch engineers next day and offer all sorts of financial incentives to stay with ntl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

subway wrote: »
    tell them you want to cancel the service.
    tell them you have had enough.
    tell them you want to cancel the whole lot but are prepared to keep the tv if they will refund the money youve paid so far, extend the 3 month introductory period and take out the bb.
    tell them you will accpet no less.

dont even get into this with the person on the phone, their supervior, the call centre manager or anyone else.

tell them you want to cancel, they will pass you to "retentions" who actually have the super magic power to dispatch engineers next day and offer all sorts of financial incentives to stay with ntl

Thanks subway this seems like the best advice at the moment, I'll give them a call. I don't think a small claims would be worthwhile at the moment, especially if i've only been paying 9.99 a month, it's not so much about getting my money back, it about having a working broadband service and no more excuses. Appreciate all your replies folks.

Advertisement