Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Didier Deschamps for manager

• 14-01-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭

Well it looks likes it's gonna be Didier Deschamps as the next Irish Manager. Word is spredding like wild fire in the last hour. Paddy Power now have him at 6-5 favorite! It's only a matter of time before they suspend the book I'd say

EDIT: Sorry if this should have gone in the mega thread on the Irish Manager. Thought it might deserve it's own. Merge if need be. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I shall rejoice on the streets if this is the case.

Final of Champions League with an averege/decent Monaco team.

Brought Juve back to Serie A despite the turmoil that existed.

He is young, fresh and has a degree experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah wow, that'd be really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

It's from mate of a mate who works a certain governing body! You heard it here!

EDIT: Actually it's a mate of a mate of a mate come to think of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I cannot see it but would be over the moon if true.

flanzer wrote: »

Flanzer I will make you my bitch if this does not happen....

• Advertisement

Believe you me, someone else is gonna be my bitch if it does not happen!! It'll be like a daisy chain with John Delaney up the front!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Believe you me, someone else is gonna be my bitch if it does not happen!! It'll be like a daisy chain with John Delaney up the front!!

shudder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite a coup if they er pull it off.

Mike.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Obviously great if they pull it off. It makes a certain amount of sense for him too. If he does in any way well, he'll be set up for a job in the premiership, considering how they have been hiring international managers in the bucket loads. I don't think it's a hugely difficult job to get Ireland to a playoff spot with a bit of decent management. If he got to a playoff, even if he lost, he'd defo get a premiership job the following year, and it would really raise his profile.

My worry would be he would start off really well, even get a result against Italy, then once the premiership came calling, he'd be off. As such, I think he should get a 4 year contract so at least we get money out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I hereby put forward the motion that any poster who gets our hopes up with what turns out to be nonsense be permanently banned from the soccer forum

...so, if Venables ends up getting the job, the forum should be about 100 people lighter at this stage!!:D

I support that proposal Nunu. All in favour say I..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

He would be a great appointment. Not holding my breath TBH.

PHB wrote: »
    Obviously great if they pull it off. It makes a certain amount of sense for him too. If he does in any way well, he'll be set up for a job in the premiership, considering how they have been hiring international managers in the bucket loads. I don't think it's a hugely difficult job to get Ireland to a playoff spot with a bit of decent management. If he got to a playoff, even if he lost, he'd defo get a premiership job the following year, and it would really raise his profile.

My worry would be he would start off really well, even get a result against Italy, then once the premiership came calling, he'd be off. As such, I think he should get a 4 year contract so at least we get money out of it.

No, I totally disagree with your line of thinking.

No manager at international level, no matter who he is, should get more than a 2 year contract - it's madness to offer anything more...take each campaign as it comes.

4 year contracts don't keep managers on their toes - recent examples McClaren/Staunton:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Didn't see this one coming at all. Bit dubious imo...

I support that proposal Nunu. All in favour say I..

I was relunctant to post the breaking news in the first place.......but I said I'd put my neck on the line. If it true may you worship me as your God for the length of Didiers tenure, if not, I'll fade into obscurity............... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

got an inside tip on this about 2 hours ago while he was 7/2

didnt back it tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

would be great but have seen this said before about el tel

He's odds on now......10/11! Stuck a tonne on him at 6/4 earlier....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL :D

Flanzer *runs to get large tub of KY Jelly* :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

4-6 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've a tenner on him at 25-1 :D

This means he won't get the job though because me and Paddy Power don't get on.

Sorry lads... It wont be Didier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Helix wrote: »
    4-6 now

Are you surprised? Everyone's lumping on him after reading this thread!

flanzer if a Paddy Power plant.

;)

Kill em'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Are you surprised? Everyone's lumping on him after reading this thread!

flanzer if a Paddy Power plant.

;)
    Bookies would never do something so cynical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

PHB wrote: »
    Obviously great if they pull it off. It makes a certain amount of sense for him too. If he does in any way well, he'll be set up for a job in the premiership, considering how they have been hiring international managers in the bucket loads.

deschamps could easily get a job in the premier league if he wanted - he doesn't need to spend 2 years managing Ireland for that... He was a frontrunner for the Chelsea job when Mourinho went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If Flanzer works for a well known bookies then his hoop is going to look like the Japanese flag once estebancambiaso gets a hold of him LOL

I have located that IP address who entered that and I can confirm that the ip address is assoicated with Abbotstown.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    If Flanzer works for a well known bookies then his hoop is going to look like the Japanese flag once estebancambiaso gets a hold of him LOL

I think your the first one who has ever actually finished off my username. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Helix wrote: »
    got an inside tip on this about 2 hours ago while he was 7/2

lol

This is why I never gamble. Unless Ive had a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

just got word he has been hired and it will be announed in the next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

believe it when I see it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    beat me to it

If I recall correctly that link was posted in another thread here yesterday.

That was the FAI's response yesterday....

As Des said, believe it when I see it. This is at least the 5th imminent about to be confirmed my mate has an inside knowledge type stuff Ive seen in the past few months.

Still, down the pub, Autumn 2009, we are qualified, everyone pissed singing "we`re all part of Diddies army" :eek: :D

Ah Im sure we will get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

dc69 wrote: »

Source?

John Delaney and the kingmakers, if you make this appointment I will buy ya coke.

Oh oh just watching RTE, no news on Didier.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Source?

one of my mates dads has a source he relayed it to me,said it was defo!all i know is my mate went down to paddy power to put 2 or 3 hundred quid on it,so hes sure

DSB wrote: »
    Source?

A mate.

Someone whos brother does courier deliveries to FAI HQ and overheard it while he was using the jacks.

A taxi man told a mate of his he brought Didier from the airport to FAI.

Some oul gobsh1te down the pub.

Any of the above really. Im not saying there isnt a chance, but there isnt a shred of evidence it is him. And, as said, Tel, Souness, O`Leary and possibl even Houllier have been mentioned as the imminent to be announced manager at some point over the last two odd months. At the moment the most half reliable word is still that it is Tels, and that is not for certain. How come people who have connections, Giles or Dunphy for example, have not mentioned it? They are more likely to have inside knowledge than the mate of someone off the internet.

Granted, some day there will be a rumour started about a candidate and then said candidate gets the job, but jesus lads this has now happened 4 or 5 times already. And the Deschamps rumour is the one with the least substance. Calm down.

shane86 wrote: »
    A mate.

Someone whos brother does courier deliveries to FAI HQ and overheard it while he was using the jacks.

A taxi man told a mate of his he brought Didier from the airport to FAI.

Some oul gobsh1te down the pub.

Any of the above really. Im not saying there isnt a chance, but there isnt a shred of evidence it is him. And, as said, Tel, Souness, O`Leary and possibl even Houllier have been mentioned as the imminent to be announced manager at some point over the last two odd months. At the moment the most half reliable word is still that it is Tels, and that is not for certain.

Granted, some day there will be a rumour started about a candidate and then said candidate gets the job, but jesus lads this has now happened 4 or 5 times already. And the Deschamps rumour is the one with the least substance. Calm down.

hes not just some randomer,he is involved with irish football,wait and see eh,do you think i would have posted it if i thought it was untrue and heard it from some taxi driver or something

one of my mates dads has a source he relayed it to me,said it was defo!all i know is my mate went down to paddy power to put 2 or 3 hundred quid on it,so hes sure enough about it.i probably shouldnt have said it,becuase the source sounds like a bit of a joke and i got a bit caught up but i reckon its true

dc69 if you're not putting money on it how credible are you really taking it yourself?

I won't be lumping on it myself...terrible market to be betting in.

I will bow at your alter if it's true, otherwise you're on my blacklist because i'm completely pissed off at this stage with all this 'mate of a mate' stuff:(

ps: I resigned myself to Venables weeks ago (it all points in that direction), so pretty much anyone else will be a bonus

hes not just some randomer,he is involved with irish football,wait and see eh,do you think i would have posted it if i thought it was untrue and heard it from some taxi driver or something

Im not putting it to you as an insult or anything, what I am saying is that there have been quite a few posts here pretty much starting after the Croker Cyprus match where people who claimed to (and may well have had) have heard from friends or relatives in the media or the FAI that there were news conferences imminent, decisions coming, etc etc etc. IIRC there was a "Stan will be gone by 6pm" thread citing well placed sources posted 3 or 4 days before he actually got the boot. You cant blame us for being cynical.

And given the way they gave the media the runaround across half of north Dublin the night of Stans last meeting, one thing the FAI actually do quite well is stealthy secrecy.

Has any international media mentioned this? French or British? Was it in any papers today?

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=didier+deschamps+ireland&meta=

Certainly no google links to foreign news sources, its mainly message board chat. And you should know better than to listen to how bookies tinker the odds. Look what they did with Mourhino- they know full well he wouldnt take the job and so made the odds look like he could well do it. End result- tonnes of people threw a few quid on, Capello came out of relatively nowhere in the race and the bookies cleaned up.

The only thing that has me worried (and my ass worried!) is that PP haven't suspended betting yet considering what has been wagered on Deschamps in the last few hours alone :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This has been discussed for a few days when some guy in here gave a tip he'll be announced as manager a week later, well it's about a week later

hmmmmmm

Nunu wrote: »
    dc69 if you're not putting money on it how credible are you really taking it yourself?

I won't be lumping on it myself...terrible market to be betting in.

I will bow at your alter if it's true, otherwise you're on my blacklist because i'm completely pissed off at this stage with all this 'mate of a mate' stuff:(

ps: I resigned myself to Venables weeks ago (it all points in that direction), so pretty much anyone else will be a bonus

im not in a position to be putting money on anything at the mo,i dont see a point the odds are to bad,say for instance he is selected and then gets a better offer before the contract is signed and pulls out,the 300 euro to win 30 quid isnt looking so handy then,managers markets is the one thing i would touch

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

This is all a ploy by the bookies, cut the odds on someone and spread a few rumours... and the bets flood in as people believe the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

surely deschamps,given his pedigree,would be in line for something better?it would take serious bucks to get him,cos theres clubs all over europe looking for managers and he would be a great candidate. ill hold my breath,but this is the FAI after all. lets hope for once,they do something that has us all shocked and say well done to them.

this would be a great appointment,BUT,until the man is sitting beside delaney in some hotel in Dublin, ill be expecting venables. what a kick up the a** this would be for the media.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement