Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Refund Cheque

Options
  • 14-01-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

I got a tax refund from revenue in the form of a cheque today. Only trouble was it was a Bank of Ireland cheque and my account's with AIB so instead of the cheque being cleared in three working days I was told it will take five.

Now I'm in no urgent need of the money but am I the only one who thinks it's a bit odd that a cheque from a state body is is drawn from one particular bank and when someone has to lodge the cheque with another bank it takes longer.

Should there not be/is there not some dispensation when it comes to these kind of cheques?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's too late now (and may be irrelevant) but the Med1 form allows you to nominate a bank account for the lodgement so the ability to do EFT is there.

In relation to the dealy - well the banks are archaic and like the system where they get to hold onto your cheque for a while. I doubt that they would like to idea to speed through cheques from State bodies.

Its strange about AIB taking three days to clear an AIB cheque - cheques that I draw on an aib account are debited on the day of presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

A irish euro chq will take 6 full days to clear. You should be able to get it out after 3 days. Thats as fast as its going to be.

Normally if you ldg a XYZBank chq into an XYZBank account it would be cleared funds asap, but it will still not be fully clear for 6 days.

Advertisement