Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hijacked near M1 (but it wasn't a Hilux) - be careful!

Options
  • 14-01-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭

Gardaí investigating the hijacking of a vehicle in Co Louth last week have appealed for information.

The incident occurred on the Castlebellingham to Dunleer Road at around 3am last Tuesday, 8 January.

A white car, believed to be a Nissan Almera, hit the rear of a black BMW X5. The driver of the BMW stopped and got out of his vehicle.

A man who got out of the white car then took the BMW and drove off in the direction of the M1 motorway. The white car, which had two other male occupants, followed behind.

Anybody who can assist in tracing the black BMW X5, with the registration number 07 D 6676, or who saw any unusual or suspicious activity in the Dunleer or Kilsaran areas in the early hours of 8 January is asked to contact gardaí.

Ring the Dunleer Garda Station on 041 6851202, or Drogheda Garda Station on 041 9874200, or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0114/hijacking.html?rss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Headed for the M1 and doubled back across the border in 10 mins i guess.

They will think of anything now to steal a car.

Driver should always lock the doors at the sence of an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

kluivert wrote: »
    Driver should always lock the doors at the sence of an accident.

I dont think this would stop someone if they really wanted the car, they could always just smash the window if the doors where locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not much use if you are going to get out of your own car though! :)

On idrive you can set the doors to lock over a certain speed, I'd suggest if you have a BMW with idrive, that you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Or smash him and take the keys off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

MarkN wrote: »
    Not much use if you are going to get out of your own car though! :)

On idrive you can set the doors to lock over a certain speed, I'd suggest if you have a BMW with idrive, that you do it.

What would that achieve?

• Advertisement

It stops someone from opening the car door and pulling you out of it kicking and screaming last time I checked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The area around the Carlingford exit is like something out of The Hills Have Eyes. I've heard several stories like this up there. Maybe they're moving south. Carlingford and Omeath are lovely but I wouldn't go driving around the quieter roads at night.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

similar enough story - Incident on Knockmaroon Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Jeez, this forum really is becoming BMW-Central.. if it had been say a Toyota Hilux that was robbed would the OP have posted about it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the important issue is the fact that people blatantly try and do steal cars!

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Jeez, this forum really is becoming BMW-Central.. if it had been say a Toyota Hilux that was robbed would the OP have posted about it?

Here here... The X5 is probably stripped by now. Sadly....

My boss drives a BMX Black X5 and lives out that way, I wonder :p

What I dont understand is people can spends thousands on a car like this and not install a tracking device on the car. Sorry but if I was so lucky as to be able to afford a X5 I would spend an extra 1500e on getting a tracking system.

That is the most ridiculous statement JHMEG.

Car hijackings are not exactly everyday occurrences in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

if I was so lucky as to be able to afford a X5 I would spend an extra 1500e on getting a tracking system.

If I were the insurance company comprehensively covering a popular expensive car, I'd make the premium cheap for people that fit a tracker and expensive for people that don't

They are in Louth.

last year some idiots went on the rampage and hi jacked a number of cars from Armagh to Louth and then disappeared. Hi-jacked two cars in Dundalk I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps JHMEG meant that the post should have been titled "Vehicle hijacked near M1".

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if it had been would they have bothered trying to steal it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

copacetic wrote: »
    if it had been would they have bothered trying to steal it?

Well, they are indestructable, and they are the best for turning into a boat...

Biro wrote: »
    Well, they are indestructable, and they are the best for turning into a boat...

PMSL :D

Right, I'll change the topic title ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Here here...

My boss drives a BMX Black X5 and lives out that way, I wonder :p

Jaysus, does he?! I've got a Raleigh Chopper!!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The same tactics are common in some of the Spanish Airports. Tourists in rental cars with digicams etc in their luggage are the targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Wow. Bit like a solar eclipse, in that it doesn't happen too often, but we actually have a Page 1 without "BMW" in any thread titles.

EDIT: Aarrgh.. that did't last long.. "BMW 535d Sport" is back..

Advertisement