Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been knocked down?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Most cyclists that I know (in Dublin) have been knocked down at some point, and usually it's not their fault either.

Interesting to see if many people have never had the experience of it! Myself, I've been knocked down twice, but luckily have never required a hospital visit!

Have you ever been knocked down? 63 votes

No, not once!
    0% 0 votes
    Once
    47% 30 votes
    Several times!
    52% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Never been knocked down, but I generally avoid cycling on the road and in traffic so thats to be expected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Never been knocked down, I have run into the back of a car once but I was about 13 at the time and was going far to fast at the time with very bad breaks,

Long long time ago so I don't think it counts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fallen down? Many, many times- just after I got clipless pedals.
    My knees and arms hurt but my pride was hurt more at falling at 0mph.:o
    A few times on black ice too

Knocked down, just once
    Coming down a big, clear cycle lane and a queue of traffic beside me to my right.

Young lad in the front passenger seat of an SUV obviously decided he’d hop off while the traffic was not moving and left me less than a second to avoid the door.
    Down I went, buckled my wheel, my knee and hand cut and medium term, I had tendonitis in my finger for the next 6 weeks which made typing in work very painful.
    Settled through insurance (for feck all realy)but my confidence is still wrecked and I haven’t cycled around the city since then. I walk to work these days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

Both of the times I was knocked down i was in the cycle lane too, wasn't a door though, car(s) zipped through a gap in the traffic super fast without looking (first time was into a garage) and splat! strange experience
    Both times got all the damage paid for no problem though

Doors are what I'm most afraid of though because there is absolutely nothing you can do, and most people just don't think when they do things like that. I know a bunch of people that have been taken down this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Been door-ed, done that. (Ho ho.)
    bassman22 wrote: »
    Both of the times I was knocked down i was in the cycle lane too, wasn't a door though, car(s) zipped through a gap in the traffic super fast without looking (first time was into a garage) and splat! strange experience
    Both times got all the damage paid for no problem though

Doors are what I'm most afraid of though because there is absolutely nothing you can do, and most people just don't think when they do things like that. I know a bunch of people that have been taken down this way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

micmclo wrote: »
    Fallen down? Many, many times- just after I got clipless pedals.
    My knees and arms hurt but my pride was hurt more at falling at 0mph.:o
    A few times on black ice too

Knocked down, just once
    Coming down a big, clear cycle lane and a queue of traffic beside me to my right.

Young lad in the front passenger seat of an SUV obviously decided he’d hop off while the traffic was not moving and left me less than a second to avoid the door.
    Down I went, buckled my wheel, my knee and hand cut and medium term, I had tendonitis in my finger for the next 6 weeks which made typing in work very painful.
    Settled through insurance (for feck all realy)but my confidence is still wrecked and I haven’t cycled around the city since then. I walk to work these days. :(

my sympathies dude. think about giving it another go though, ay? i've come to really enjoy navigating my way across town, i like the concentration and bike handling skills it requires compared to endless road miles.

i've come a cropper several times but i was only konocked down once. by a pole of about 20, in blanchardstown village. he turned hard left without indicating or looking and my front wheel hit his wheel-arch and i went over the bonnet starsky-and-hutch-stylie, but landed badly. sprained ankle and considerable skin loss. i went ape-poopy. adrenaline is a powerful thing. next thing i knew i was dragging him out of the car window (it was left hand drive, polish reg.) . he apologized profusely. i calmed the fúck down. i wanted his insurance details, his name etc. etc. which he was ok with that but he was so shaken that he wanted to give me cash instead, there and then. we were right next to a bank machine and he went over to it and came back with €300. i took it, and off he went. the bike was ok, couple of broken spokes in the front wheel and a few more scrapes. the ankle was sore for a good month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Knocked at slow speed when an idiot on a bike crossed the road in front of me, he was on a path and had a clear view of me, and just went out crossing direct like on foot. Was a slow safe fall.

next was on the most stormy day there was last year, with flash floods in sandyford. I was on the N11, some gob****e had pulled into a bus lane/cycleway, then took off as I passed, and then stopped. I was going really slow due to wind, and was forced up on a kerb and fell, again slow & safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I stupidly filtered between a bus and a lorry one time in static traffic. Then the lights went green but I was only a quarter way through the two of them. Off they went and the gap got smaller and smaller until the handlebar got pinned by the bus and over the bars I went. Right between both sets of wheels. I was very lucky that time. Both vehicles missed me somehow and the oncoming traffic too. Dragged the bike to the side of the road and licked my wounds. That would've been the end of me if I'd landed differently.

The luas tracks have claimed my dignity twice too-the second time ruined my, er, typing wrist for a few months. It still clicks sometimes!

Coming off the bike's never fun, micmclo ya should try to get going again, your confidence'll return eventually.

Edit: now that I remember, when I was on holidays in greece a foreign lad managed to lodge my handlebar in his passenger window and dragged me down the street for about 10 yards. Fúcker even tried to drive off! That one hurt, a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Coming down from Ranelagh and over the bridge across the the canal. As I came down the bridge a BMW accelerated past me and just as he got past me be braked and turned left into the cycle lane.

Jammed on the brakes and glanced of the side of the car and went down like a sack of spuds.

Beamer driver hops out apologising profusely, taxi driver pulls to a halt behind me and drops down the window and shouts "I seen everything bud" and waves his business card out the window in case I wanted to put a claim in. :D

At this stage I got back on my feet, inspected the bike and felt I could continue on my way as I was late for work.

I didn't consider the possibility of unseen strucutural damage to the bike and now some years latter regret not lodging some kind of claim or a complaint to the Gardai. Hopefully the chap in question has improved his ways.

Speaking of which I had to bang on the back of a passat today - they were in a cycle lane, I couldn't get past and the 17 bus was looming large behind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Trampas

2 car doors. when people jumping out at lights a few cars back.

several other accidents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Never knocked down but I once rear ended a car. The car pulled in abruptly going down a steep hill on a wet day. I was in single file behind another cyclist. I should have had just about enough time to stop but my front brakes failed. My friend stopped in time and I was left with a choice between ploughing into the back of him or the much smoother looking car so I picked the car. I landed on the back windscreen but luckily the only damage done was to my front wheel.

Thankfully being in Galway and not Dublin means that my daily commute is far safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Never been actually knocked down as such. But I was 'doored' once at St. Patricks Cathedrael. Usual story- Door opened into cycle lane in static traffic. I bought a good bit of the kerb and the door wrecked my knee. Being the (idiot) man that I am I let the apologetic foreign woman away with it.
    Also I rear ended a Mercedes on Lord Edward Street. A combination of bad brakes and the guy swerving into my path. Still, I managed to remain on my steed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

2 falls (my own fault, grease the first time, alcohol the second).

1 time knocked down, heading west on leeson street and at the junction with stephen's green i was overtaken by a car which then turned left onto earlsfort terrace and swiped me out of it. i landed on my knee, rolled, the bike flipped into the air and landed on her car. not happy, i reckon the woman in the car hadn't heard expletives like that in a long time. the scabs heal but the damage to your confidence in city centre cycling takes much longer to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Coming form Kevin St. thru the Aungier street crossraods, got to the T junction where Cuffe Street joins. No other vehicle on the road on a Saturday lunchtime, green volvo comes formthe side street to my left, I slow down, to give the car more time to see me and arc out wide to make sure the car see's me and give me some space to take evasive action.
    The car slows down to an almost stop and then revs up and ploughs into the side if me.

I looked down as it was happening in disbelief as the drivers side front bumper hit my back wheel. In my head I'm thinking "SH1T, I'm actually being hit by a car here....how's this going to go!?".

Next thing I know I'm on the bonnet, then very quickly I'm on the windscreen and all of a sudden I'm flying through the air landing about 12 feet away in the middle of the road. Luckily there were still no cars coming as the lights were red at the crossroads.

Got away with a grazed/bruised elbow which was very very lucky considering the violent impact. It turns out the lady driver didn't even see me, despite me slowing down and moving out wide to the centre of the road to make myself more visible to her as she approached the T Junction. She just glanced, so no cars and didn't bother to stop.

I think the only thing that prevented me being more hurt is the fact I realised at the last second she didn't see me and braced myself for the impact a little. I was riding my BMX at the time too so my centre of gravity was alot lower and I was able to jump off the bike easily. Taking slams and crashes riding BMX ocer the years definitely helped me roll out of the fall on the ground too.

I was very nervous for the next months to come when I saw cars pulling out from side roads on my left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I'm afraid I've been knocked down twice.
    #1 was by a car who accelerated from behind me, then turned left clipping my front wheel. He (or she) stopped, had a look in the mirror, and pissed off.

#2 was when I was cycling up Stradbrook road, a woman was driving from an apartment block on one side of the road to the rugby club on the other (100m distance!). It was at night, and despite lights and reflectors, she clipped the front wheel.

Both times wrecked the front wheel, although the woman in the second instance paid for it, which was nice of her, although he couldn't see how she was in the wrong!

I don't know if this counts a being "knocked down", but a range rover once started veering into the cycle lane on the Blackrock road out of town, and pushed me off. I was alright that time, just angry.

From reading this thread, the amount of accidents and near misses is frightful. It's a wonder there are so few fatalities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Trice.

1st time by a car,

2nd time doored along the canal

3rd time by a kid (10ish) legging it across the road. just lept out straight into my front-wheel - very bizare incident as it was a stright road with no cars parked alongside the road. they just started running took a 90 degree turn, and voila :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

twice by car door opening in front of me, once driver side , once passenger on O'Connell bridge

car turned left in front of me , new set of forks
    bus mounted the pavement on a bus/bike lane, bike totalled

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

fallen many times, usally when ridding my mountain bike on the edge or beyond my limits, couple of times on my road bike with my cleats

knocked off once,

in a hospital car park :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

cunnins4 wrote: »
    I stupidly filtered between a bus and a lorry one time in static traffic. Then the lights went green but I was only a quarter way through the two of them. Off they went and the gap got smaller and smaller until the handlebar got pinned by the bus and over the bars I went.

:eek: That's my nightmare. That and this:p
    brando wrote:
    I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, swiftly, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving ....

Not gonna tempt fate here, feel rattled just reading these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A friend cycling along the LUAS tracks and ends up between 2 passing LUAS trams...brushing off his shoulders. He was on a fixed gear to make it more scary so he couldn't stop. Another friend just after getting knee surgery and back on his bike for the first time had a pigeon fly into his front wheel and he went OTB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Unfortunately, I've had the unsettling experience of being knocked down 'in slow motion' as my cousin so aptly put it - it was an ordinary Saturday afternoon in July three years ago and little did I think that not 2 minutes into my leisurely cycle to the local gym, I would be lying on the side of the minor road I travelled, glaring at the ignoramous of a bus driver who had left me no room to work with, hence, my ungainly fall from grace. As the cretin squeeshed past me, my handlebars caught the side of the CIE advertising sticker around the letter 'E' if I recall correctly and off I went like a angry badger down a rabbit burrow. Thankfully I was grand and my only worry at the time was whether anyone had seen my embarrassing episode+whether I would miss the 4pm Workout. I was lucky but my lifelong aversion to bus drivers was merely reinforced on that sorry day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Going through Fairview, there was a van indicating to park. He had been indicating for a good 200 yards. The cycle track there runs between the car lane and parking spots.
    Anyway, as it was taking him so long to turn in to park, I somehow assumed he’d seen me and was waiting for me go past him on the cycle track to his left.
    So when I went to shoot down the inside, he of course chose that moment to swing left and park. We didn’t collide but he forced me to the kerb, which I hit, and over I flipped.
    Owey. I got up, looked at the driver. He had a look somewhere between fear and utter confusion on him.
    I got into work ok, there was blood all over one of the handlebars but I felt fine. Then when I sat at my desk I pulled a whitey and almost passed out.

Legally I think it’d be a tough one to call. I don’t think I did anything wrong. But in reality, I was very naïve to try such a manoeuvre. Definitely a learning experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

This is off the point a bit but my brother Francie fell out of a taxi going down O connell st,he rolled about 20 metres before he hit a curb and eventually stopped, somehow he only managed to break his wrist and he said the worst part of the whole episode was the taxi driver kept asking him for the fare,what an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Twice, once hit-and-run from behind on Parkgate St; once t-boned from the side by an elderly gent coming onto the Naas Rd who just plain didn't see me until my bike was at 90 degrees to my direction of travel. Both ended with hospital visits but no damage thank god. I land like a rag-doll it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Once.
    A driver overtook me, pulled into a lay by on the left of the road, then as I was continuing on the road, decided to execute a u-turn in the lay by just as I reached it and they pulled back out into the road. I tried to avoid it but couldn't so I hit the front wheel on the drivers side and took flight over the bonnet. I must have done a complete tumble in the air because I had cuts and bruises on my shoulders. My face came of worst though, huge road rash on the left side of it. I was wearing a woolly hat at the time, so I think that took some sting out of the fall, so it could have been much worse. Thankfully the rash has pretty much faded now. My knees and shin also had cuts and bruises. My hands were saved by my gloves.

I was lying on the road for a few minutes and I could hear people shouting "CALL AN AMBULANCE". Then I tried to move and I was told to stay still. Eventually I managed to get up and stumble to the side of the road where I sat on the kerb and waited for...well for nothing really because I was totally out of it. I just sat there.

A policeman on a motorbike came to the scene and the fire brigade arrived also and checked me out. Then an ambulance came and took me to hospital. Nothing was broken thankfully, but I was in a daze for about 3 or 4 days. For about a week I woke up feeling nauseous and with the most awful headaches.

I got on the bike after about a month and now I am much more vigilant on the roads, but I have not let the experience hold me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

what an arsehole

That's not a nice way to talk about your brother :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bloody hell Raam that sounds like an awful way to spend a week,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Never been knocked down as such. All my incidents have involved stationary vehicles. All due to a mix of distraction and poor/no brakes. Been 'doored' a couple of times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Taken out once alright, by a car on a main road.
    Cycling along, a car nosed out of the drive.
    Saw him, and saw him stop, so continued to cycle past.
    Idiot then pulled out straight on top of me.
    This was about ten years ago, as far as I remember, the down bar ended up being bent.

I was heading for college, but he forked out for a new bike that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

My biggest fear is hitting the business-end of a half-open door at speed. Always leave lots of room and attain a state of cat-like vigilance, and so far so good.

Advertisement