Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo

Options
  • 14-01-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a VW polo 1.2 comfortline, do you guys think they are good cars. 14k for an 07.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a VW polo 1.2 comfortline, do you guys think they are good cars. 14k for an 07.

im driving a 1.2 comfortline at the moment ('04).its a lovely car in my opinion!!never gives much hassle and its got plenty of nice bits!
    14k is good for a 07!!
    im trading in mine at the moment(€9750) for a 08 polo sportsline plus in candy white!
    would def recommend a polo!what colour are u going for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Silver! Torn between the polo and Ibiza. Lots more toys in the ibiza.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Silver! Torn between the polo and Ibiza. Lots more toys in the ibiza.
    what kinda toys u interested in??ibiza's are nice cars too!tuff decision if u ask me!:confused:

Radio controls are on the steering wheel, air con, sun-roof. 07 for 12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how long do you intend to keep the car?

• Advertisement

Hi Colm, keep it about 3 years.

I'd say the Ibiza will hold the 2k margin over 3 years. i.e it won't cost you any more to own than the Polo. The days of the Polo holding massive residuals are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'd try and get a 1.4l if possible. I've a 00 1.4l Polo Saloon and it's a grand car. Very little has gone wrong with it (touch wood) and it's very peppy for overtaking. Only downside is the clutch cable which wears down faster as the car ages.

The new 1.2 3 cylinder should be more powerful than the 1.4 in the 00 Polo. it's certainly torquier anyway. presuming it's the 65bhp version the OP is looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I would have thought the Polo was due for replacement soon? I mean it came out about 2 years before the Golf, and we all reckon the MkV Golf will be replaced next year?

Plus there is a new Seat Ibiza on the way, and the new Skoda Fabia is out too, which is using the next generation Polo's chassis.

All 2008 MY 1.2 Polos have the 65 bhp version of the 1.2.

• Advertisement

some older ones have the 65bhp engine too. my friends 02 comfortline has.

It was offered in both states of tune originally, but I remember when I made a thread about the fact that the new ones have aircon as standard a month ago or whenever it was looking at VWs website and noticing that the 55 bhp version had disappeared. I don't know when VW withdrew it though.

apparently most of the newer polo's are 70bhp??thats wat i was told in the dealer anyway!1.2 12valve versions anyway!!the 55bhp is defo gone!

is the 65 bhp the HTP engine that the Fabia got a few years back? or did the Polo's engine in 02 differ from the HTP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I have a '04 1.2L Polo 9n. Lovely car. But, in your position, I'd go for the Ibiza. It's a Polo in disguise. You get more for less. Use the €2k for insurance and tax. The Ibiza will hold its value as well as the Polo.

Wasn't there a 6 valve version and a 12 valve version of the 1.2? IIRC this is how it was available in two different power outputs

ya thats it!!pretty sure they have gotten rid of the 6valve version now in the newer cars!!

Took the polo for a long drive along the n11 and then down some back roads and although it nippy, it dosent half drink the petrol there was a about a quater of a tank in and its totally gone now, havent bought it yet would the 1.4 be more economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could also pick up one of these for similar money as the 07 Polo:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=878743
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=878909

It is based on new Polo platform which goes on sale in the next 6 to 8 months.

Personally myself I don't think even standard air con is enough to convince me to buy a 2007 Polo which has been around since 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd also reccomend the new fabia. its an all new model and is the new polo underneath.The polo feels like an old car spruced up with a bit of extra kit.The skoda is much roomier and the 60bhp 1.2 is no slouch mid range.Fuel economy is also excellent.Buy the newer model i'd say, it may be a skoda but it will hold its value better in time

• Advertisement

i personally feel that the polo is a better looking car then the skoda(inside and out).the 2008 polo comfortline all come with alloys,cruise control,parking sensors and climate control as standard.but i guess if thats not something that matters in your choice and you are just looking for an economic run around then go for the skoda!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VODKA-MAN wrote: »
    i personally feel that the polo is a better looking car then the skoda(inside and out).the 2008 polo comfortline all come with alloys,cruise control,parking sensors and climate control as standard.but i guess if thats not something that matters in your choice and you are just looking for an economic run around then go for the skoda!

The reason it is packed with goodies is to try and stimulate sales of the old model before the all new one is introduced. A common practice among car makers.

These days Skodas are not just bought because people are on a tight budget,as it will cost around the same to run as it's sister car VW Polo. People buy them because they represent value for money and in this case the Fabia has the latest VAG technology unlike the Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

tempting alright but need 5 doors.

Advertisement