Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs query

Options
  • 14-01-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Ordered a box set which cost £77 from hmv.co.uk last week, just got a letter today saying that customs where holding it until until I pay 21% VAT and €5 handling fee.

I thought this only happened when ordering from outside of the EU?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I'm fairly sure that you're not supposed to be charged customs within the EU (it's a barrier to the harmonisation of the EU's internal market).

Could it be the case that even though you ordered from the hmv.co.uk website the delivery could have originated from outside the EU?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes you only pay Customs on non EU items because you already have paid some form of VAT in the EU.

HMV ship from the UK from what I can see so you don't have to pay Customs. Just ring them and explain that the item is coming in from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Thought so, but checked hmv.co.uk and they ship from Guernsey :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The islands are not part of the European Union, but are part of the Customs Territory of the European Community, by virtue of Protocol Three to the Treaty on European Union.

taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

HMV ship from Guernsey, from where you are liable for VAT (and duty?). AND HMV put a big yellow sticker on the package to make sure customs know this! Thanks HMV! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Didn't even think of checking it cause I was ordering it from within the UK, lesson learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Galadriel wrote: »
    Didn't even think of checking it cause I was ordering it from within the UK, lesson learned!

Refuse the package and tell them to return it to HMV.
    That's really poor form for them to not mention where it ships from if a customer has ordered from outside the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eth0_ wrote: »
    That's really poor form for them to not mention where it ships from if a customer has ordered from outside the UK.
    I was shocked when I heard it first, it came up around a month ago on boards. A reputable company like HMV using a .co.uk address would infer to most people that it is coming from the UK, it really is a sneaky move. If there was a www.hmv.ie I would not expect to pay duty and wouldnt think I would have to check where it comes from. Must be even more of a shock for UK people stung for customs.

I think some other company like play, blah etc gives such warnings on checkout, but they are not even using a co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I found this in their T's%C's:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/navigate.do?ctx=1077;-1;-1;-1&pPageID=1666&WT.ac=CUS_DELIVERY_DETAILS_PAGE-LHTMN-CUS_SERV_MENU-International+Shoppers
    HMV.co.uk wrote:
    VAT
    The prices payable for goods are as set out in the web site, exclusive of VAT, and any duties and local taxes. If the shipping address is in the UK, hmv will collect UK import VAT from you on behalf of the consignee where necessary. Consignments sent to the UK of a value of £18 or under are relieved from import VAT under current legislation. For purchases by UK businesses, no evidence of payment of UK import VAT can be provided. Customers ordering for delivery outside of the UK will be responsible for payment of any local taxes payable including VAT, and will be required to pay extra for delivery and clearance where necessary.
    Customs Charges
    If you are ordering goods for delivery outside of the UK, please note that your consignment may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once the goods reach the country of destination. Any such charges levied in relation to customs clearance must be borne by you. It is accepted by you that hmv has no control over additional charges in relation to customs clearance. hmv recommend that you check with your local customs officials or post office for more information regarding importation taxes / duties that may be applicable to your on-line order. You will be the importer of record and responsible for any import VAT and duty that may be borne. In addition, any charges for import clearance will be borne by you, the customer.
    Please note that when shipping goods from Guernsey, cross border shipments may be subject to opening and inspection by customs authorities. In respect of all goods dispatched to you to an address outside of Guernsey, you are deemed to be the importer of the goods an d must therefore comply with all the laws and regulations of the country into which the goods are being delivered.

I think I read elsewhere if your order is less than around €40 or €50, then customs don't bother with it. Not much use with a box set, I know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

With Play they also ship from Guernsey, however I have recently noticed that they put a sticker on the envelope saying x amount of UK VAT payed on it, presuming this is correct I would assume this UK VAT is EU VAT and such goods would get through ok here but I really don't know.

I've held off ordering anything recently with a value over about €50 as alot of people seem to have packages intercepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

rubadub wrote: »
    I was shocked when I heard it first, it came up around a month ago on boards. A reputable company like HMV using a .co.uk address would infer to most people that it is coming from the UK, it really is a sneaky move. If there was a www.hmv.ie I would not expect to pay duty and wouldnt think I would have to check where it comes from. Must be even more of a shock for UK people stung for customs.

I think some other company like play, blah etc gives such warnings on checkout, but they are not even using a co.uk

People in the UK do not get stung for customs, only people outside the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    With Play they also ship from Guernsey, however I have recently noticed that they put a sticker on the envelope saying x amount of UK VAT payed on it, presuming this is correct I would assume this UK VAT is EU VAT and such goods would get through ok here but I really don't know.

AIUI, if you pay VAT when ordering something from a EU supplier, then there is no more due. However, Guernsey is not in the EU as such, so maybe the agreement does not stand.

Advertisement