Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Try to sell my car. Is this dodgy??

Options
  • 14-01-2008 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I put an ad on net this morning to sell my car. Today I had a offer for it, the full asking price was offered, but nobody has seen the car. I find this odd that somebody would offer me what I wanted without seeing the car. They asked for my name, address and phone no, and then they would send a cheque. Once cheque clears they say they would collect car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You'll hand over the car and a couple of weeks later your bank will contact you to tell you that the cheque bounced.

Old scam, keep well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

seems a bit strange, my guess is he will give you the cheque, he will give you a cock and bull story about how he needs the car in a hurry and try to collect the car before the cheque clears.
    Check the cheque is not stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

They say that they wont collect car until cheque has cleared. I wont be give car up until cheque clears. So am just wondering how I will be ripped off here, as I havent give them any bank details or credit card details. Anybody else come across this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The cheque can clear, but a week or two later the bank will remove the funds from your account.
    I've heard of this happening a few times, the money will be in your account and of course you happily hand over the keys, but the bank will cancel it a short time afterwards. Not too sure why it clears in the first place???
    But the result is, no car and no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

What senna said seems to be correct. Tell the owner you want cash only. Even a bank draft can be fake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The cheque clears alright but what happens is that the real owner reports the cheque book as missing. Thats when the fun starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cheques these days clear virtually instantly. The bounce takes about 6 weeks, at which point the bank will take the money off you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Just ignore the offer it's a scam they won't even try and chat to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If they call you, tell them you'll take €200 off for cash. If they say no they prefer Cheque, tell them to feck off.
    If they agree, then you've sold you car in 1 day, thats good going in the current market.

On a side note, why do we still have cheques?? there just the most useless form of payment. Banks should get rid of them ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Senna wrote: »
    On a side note, why do we still have cheques?? there just the most useless form of payment. Banks should get rid of them ASAP.

+1

They've long gone from most other EU countries..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of interest, would the gardai be interested in doing a sting on these scammers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

unkel wrote: »
    +1

They've long gone from most other EU countries..

They are used for everything in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Definate scam. Who in their right mind would buy a car without first seeing/driving it? And pay the full asking price.

If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Thanks for advice folks. I reckon to good to be true.

Advertisement