Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adjustable Torque wrench

Options
  • 14-01-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all my brothers are looking to buy an adjustable torque wrench for re-building an engine.

Wondering does anyone know good brands or where to buy on line etc

To the mods sorry if this is in the wrong place but there are probably more people here who can answer that question than anywhere else. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

www.emotionautostyling.com

Email the chap (Ronan) that runs the site above and ask him to get you a price. Should be better than a motor factors for price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

cheers thanks for that, any suggestions on brand, i can even look on fleebay then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Teng ones are nice quality

Make sure whatever one you pick covers the ranges you'll need, quite often they won't go down low enough for things like cam carriers etc. if they go high enough for headbolts

Its really worth getting a small 1/4" and a 1/2" to be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know where your based, but there is (or at least used to be) a decent tool shop in Crumlin beside Fast Fit Exhausts (opposite the shopping centre). They do decent quality tools at a reasonable price. You're better off buying a half decent torque wrench that will be fairly accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Be careful buying one from ebay/ broken&stolen etc , if it has been abused/is way out of calibration it could cause serious damage , since you think stuff is all torqued up nice n happy until you run the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

He'll probably need 2. The 1/2" drive ones never go down low enough for the more delicate jobs, but the 3/8" ones do. But.. the 3/8" are no good for heavy duty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

crosstownk wrote: »
    I don't know where your based, but there is (or at least used to be) a decent tool shop in Crumlin beside Fast Fit Exhausts (opposite the shopping centre). They do decent quality tools at a reasonable price. You're better off buying a half decent torque wrench that will be fairly accurate.

Intertool. They used to have a van sales rep who would call into a workshop I worked in years ago. I too don't know if they're still there.

Southside motor factors on Kylemore rd. carry a decent range of tools too.

As for brands, Britool are probably top of the pile for torque wrenches. Teng are a good brand but I've never seen or used a Teng torque wrench. Draper would be as far into budget territory as I'd recommend going. If it's only for occasional use there's no point spending big bucks. Important thing is to wind it back to 0 after you use it so it's not stored with the spring loaded. Otherwise, after a couple of weeks it's not accurate anymore so you may as well not have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Used to be a crowd called Norbar, cheaper than Britool. Britool literature mentioned that their torque wrenches were calibrated by Norbar...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yep, remember to take the load off that spring!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks folks, all excellent advice there

will get searching today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Teng ones are nice quality

Make sure whatever one you pick covers the ranges you'll need, quite often they won't go down low enough for things like cam carriers etc. if they go high enough for headbolts

Its really worth getting a small 1/4" and a 1/2" to be covered

The cheap one's IE halfords or argus won't do a lot of the settings needed for rebuiling engines - check a manual for the motor your rebuilding just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

1/2 ones probly wont go under 50 foot pounds of torque so get a 3/8 one, they'll be handy for small jobs. Alot of smaller nuts require about 25nm and lower, thats just right for the job.

Advertisement