Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04 VW Passat TDI 130 bhp - good deal?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice from you well-informed guys.

I'm currently driving a 00 1.6 Passat with 52k miles on the clock, which I bought in 2003 and is in reasonable condition. Not sure what spec it is but it could be base, although it does have electric windows (not sure if these were offered with the base model).

A friend's brother drives a commercial jeep but was looking for a "runaround" just before Xmas and imported a 04 Passat TDI (the red I version with 130 bhp). He has it 4 weeks or so but hasn't used in that time and is now looking to get rid.

There are 65k miles on the clock and seems to run well as I took it for a 5-mile run out around Tyrrellstown this evening. It looks very well looked after, tyres look as if they are brand new, as is the spare in the boot, very clean cabin, no key scratches around driver door handle, under the bonnet the engine area is clean and tidy (me not being mechanically minded). All in al it looks a car which is in good nick.

Now the price. He tells me he bought in the UK for €11,500 or so and he got it on the road here for €14,600. It needs a new timing belt (and whatever else goes with that) and a service so he thinks the price will come to about €15k or so.

I've checked similar cars out on carzone and they are all looking for in or around €19k for the same-specced car.

I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know if they think the deal/price above is a good one or is there something else I should be looking at?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sounds steep- stay away. Especially as a private sale. Timing belt costs big bucks on a Passat and the important factor in these cars is Service History.

My mum got an '04 TDredI last May for this kind of money from a non-vw main dealer fully serviced with a 6 month warranty and 52k on the clock.

You will almost certainly get a similar one in the UK yourself right now much cheaper. This one is about 13k cleared (see other thread about weak sterling) http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN+PASSAT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-23-41-51-59-62-85-111-144-4294967158-4294967159/advert.action?R=200748299738766&distance=96&postcode=ne13+6pe&channel=CARS&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=PASSAT&min_pr=6000&max_pr=9000&max_mileage=60000 Serviced. History and from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think he is doing you much of a favour on the price to be honest. If you are set on buying it then get the car's (VIN) Vehicle Identification Number or Chassis number and if possible the old UK reg. Use this information to get a UK HPI check done on the car. This will show if the mileage is genuine, service history, previous insurance claims and outstanding finance. There are too many UK imports doing the rounds these days that have been clocked, accident damage poorly repaird, etc.

Did you consider going to the UK yourself and buying one? It would probably work out cheaper and you can choose your own car. If you don't mind an ex fleet car with a bit of mileage on it then you could pick one up at auction cheap enough. Alternatively spend a bit more and go to a dealer or private seller for one. Just make sure to get a full HPI check done on the car and you bring someone who knows their way around cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Thanks lads. Appreciate ye both taking the time to reply.

Have looked around a little more on autotrader and have seen the prices of some VW & Audi 1.9's from dealers all coming in below my contact's bought-in price of €11k. Pricey indeed.

Just wondering from a CO2 emissions perspective, how would a VW or Audi 1.9 tdi be hit come next July?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

madds wrote: »
    Just wondering from a CO2 emissions perspective, how would a VW or Audi 1.9 tdi be hit come next July?

Thanks again.

Definately hold off from importing a diesel until 1st July onwards, most if not all diesels will benefit from the new VRT/motor tax changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not this generation Passat though as it, like my 02 model, has a CO2 rating of 192 putting it in one of the highest brackets (according to links posted here previously).

If you want one OP now is the time to get one, but as already stated the timing belt costs a lot to get done so ideally buy one that already has it changed and a FSH/HPI check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Not this generation Passat though as it, like my 02 model, has a CO2 rating of 192 putting it in one of the highest brackets (according to links posted here previously).

The Passat 1.9 TDi 130bhp has a CO2 figure of 154g/km, the higher one you were looking at is 194g/km for the Auto/Tiptronic version, auto boxes will always be higher than the manual version.

*got figures from parkers.co.uk*

Advertisement