Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountrath and the future

Options
  • 14-01-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for everybodys comments?

1) Mountrath will it ever build it way as big as Portlaoise?
    2) What's the future hold for this little town?
    3) Any new projects going on in the town that will benefit the people now or in the future?

Any inforamtion is appreciated

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Can't see Mountrath ever being as big as Portlaoise. Their just isn't the need for all those facilities. Especially with Portlaoise only being ~10miles away.

I'd say the future is still bright for Mountrath and their should be some more future developments now that the town is going to be bypassed. When the town is bypassed it should encourage more people from it's catchment area coming back into the town.

Don't know of any particular developments coming up, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Mountrath wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for everybodys comments?

1) Mountrath will it ever build it way as big as Portlaoise?
    2) What's the future hold for this little town?
    3) Any new projects going on in the town that will benefit the people now or in the future?

Any inforamtion is appreciated
    1. No. Infrastructure will never be in place! No jobs like they have in portlaoise. The volume of State jobs will always be in Portlaoise.Then you have O'Moore Park, Heritage Hotel, Co. Council Offices and multinationals like Dunnes Stores, Tesco etc.

2. Bypass means less traffic. Town needs to identify that and get cracking quickly! Only 8 Public houses left in the town now! No hotel or any accomadation at the moment. Its main potential value is the tourisim amenity that is the Slieve Bloom Mts. Nothing is in place to avail of this amenity.
    Also, there is no place in the town to have a romantic meal with a glass of wine! I think there is a huge market for that as the catchment area is huge in the town and there is an incredible latent wealth there that has yet to be tapped.
    3. Talks of a Hotel development in the town are indeed active. I have heard that the buildings from the old Credit Union to Delahuntys Bar have been bought up by one developer with a view to a Hotel development. That will be a long needed punch into the town and hopefully the catalyst to bigger and better things.

Cannot see why anybody would want to move back into the town at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

no. no and no.
    Im looking onto my crystal ball here and i see the future....
    I see more land being rezoned for more estates, i see your county councillers benifiting from it financially, i see your town ruined within the next ten years with.

Only 8 Public houses left in the town now!

:eek: Their use to be 17

kikel wrote: »
    :eek: Their use to be 17
    You must be a native kikel?
    Its a long time since 17 were going!
    I could only count 7 earlier but forgot that Tommy Kellys is still servin the odd bottle of stout!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Thanks all for the replies,

I knew the bypass would be the main answer here, I suppose it will help a great deal at least there is little chance of been knocked down by a truck on its way to Limerick, the traffic is crazy im Mountrath at the moment, almost impossible to cross the road without the traffic lights there, lets hope the lights don't go down to often

Questions
    1) When will the bypass be complete whats the timeframe does anybody know?
    2) With the bypass in place I would assume local access throught Mountrath only therefore the LCC may block of the access to the Limerick road as trucks may attempt to travel via Mountrath rather than pay a toll?
    3) If there's less traffic going throught the town does that mean the garages, shops, pubs will have less business and its only a matter of time before they closedown and move, bringing the town to more of a ghost town.

So we are looking at lots of houses and a shop or two at most, I noticed the garge when heading into Mountrath from Kildare has opened another garage, I would imagine petrol prices will remain the same as it is owed by Esso also as far as I can tell. Why on earth does people pay these prices at 121.9 when there is another garage on the Limerick road just 5 minutes from Mountrath at 118.9 which at Christmas time this was on special offer at 109.9 its a crazy world, if everybody stopped paying these high prices well then another garage might not open with high prices again.

Don't get me wrong its good to see new garages shops opening, but not if they are charging over the top of petrol prices, maybe they made there money on the good hot food counter..

We'll see how it goes, I have just bought a house there last month as per my disussions with Matt Santos but im sure I will eventally pay most of this house off and sell up and ship out if there is mostly doom for this little town. The only thing that brought me to this town is cheaper house prices than most..

Mountrath wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies,

I knew the bypass would be the main answer here, I suppose it will help a great deal at least there is little chance of been knocked down by a truck on its way to Limerick, the traffic is crazy im Mountrath at the moment, almost impossible to cross the road without the traffic lights there, lets hope the lights don't go down to often

Questions
    1) When will the bypass be complete whats the timeframe does anybody know?
    2) With the bypass in place I would assume local access throught Mountrath only therefore the LCC may block of the access to the Limerick road as trucks may attempt to travel via Mountrath rather than pay a toll?
    3) If there's less traffic going throught the town does that mean the garages, shops, pubs will have less business and its only a matter of time before they closedown and move, bringing the town to more of a ghost town.

So we are looking at lots of houses and a shop or two at most, I noticed the garge when heading into Mountrath from Kildare has opened another garage, I would imagine petrol prices will remain the same as it is owed by Esso also as far as I can tell. Why on earth does people pay these prices at 121.9 when there is another garage on the Limerick road just 5 minutes from Mountrath at 118.9 which at Christmas time this was on special offer at 109.9 its a crazy world, if everybody stopped paying these high prices well then another garage might not open with high prices again.

Don't get me wrong its good to see new garages shops opening, but not if they are charging over the top of petrol prices, maybe they made there money on the good hot food counter..

We'll see how it goes, I have just bought a house there last month as per my disussions with Matt Santos but im sure I will eventally pay most of this house off and sell up and ship out if there is mostly doom for this little town. The only thing that brought me to this town is cheaper house prices than most..
    At the moment if you left the North and were travelling to say Limerick you will meet a traffic light at Newlands Cross for the first time and Mountrath for the second time!!
    Bypass is to be complete by May 2011. Part of it may be open well before then and with the obvious advantage to these contractors to get roads completed it may well be ahead of that! In answer to your second point that the council may block trucks from coming into the town-- I am afraid that they cannot do that. There must still be a route for anyone to travel that is still toll free.
    It is inevitable that a few things pop up in the town with its sustained growth and population explosion. As I said earlier a class restaurant or two, a gym- health centre and a sports centre of sorts. To think that there isnt even a facility for all weather soccer or tennis is outrageous!!
    As for the issue of petrol prices the station at the Dublin side that is charging the huge prices is collecting from the driver that has not passed a station in 40 odd miles! You will see that the native petrol consumer is travelling to Reddy's to fill up.

The town will flourish in time but as I have stressed timt and again it needs an investor that has some vision and gets the support of the town when they go about developing.

You must be a native kikel?
    Its a long time since 17 were going!
    I could only count 7 earlier but forgot that Tommy Kellys is still servin the odd bottle of stout!!

I lived there years ago. Going to see if i can list them.

Advertisement