Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivers licence

• 14-01-2008 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone please tell me what licence I need to drive an american rv motorhome weight 6 ton on Irish roads I allready have a full clean B licence.
    Thanking you in advance

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You'll need a "C" (truck) licence (not just C1, but the full whack) ...and probably a few lessons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You may have insurance difficulties too. As far as I know Dolmen dont insure motoromes over 4.5 tons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

peasant wrote: »
    You'll need a "C" (truck) licence (not just C1, but the full whack) ...and probably a few lessons :D

Not true a C1 goes from 3.5tonne to 7.5tonne, so you can drive on it. But since the C goes from 3.5t to infinity you are better off going for that. I don't think any schools do lessons in C1, and lessons would definitely be needed for a C licence.

Don't forget if you are going to need a C licence holder to drive everywhere with you till you pass the test. Only good thing is that it's only ~6 weeks for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

a C1 goes from 3.5tonne to 7.5tonne, so you can drive on it
    Not true if dgvw is greater than 7,500 kg, C licience is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 juono11

I would like to thank all the people who replied
    thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

2 stroke wrote: »

The OP is looking to drive an American RV weighing 6ton US. This is 5.4 tonne, so a C1 is fine for driving. But a C is the better licence to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not true a C1 goes from 3.5tonne to 7.5tonne, so you can drive on it
    2 stroke wrote: »
    :confused: That what he said!

(C1 is also valid for below 3.5 tonnes - i.e. any weight up to 7.5 tonnes).

If the vehicle has seating accomodation for more than 8 passengers , the truck licences won't cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Regardless of the actual weight and licence requirements, I think it is a good idea to at least have some lessons (if not sit the test) for a C-type vehicle before driving a large motorhome in earnest.

I have a C licence (courtesy of the German army), haven't driven a truck in a long time, but the training still helps with driving the motorhome ...especially things like driving with side mirrors only, keeping your distance, judging the size properly, watching out for the overhangs (roof also) etc.

Advertisement