Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a commercial vehicle.

Options
  • 14-01-2008 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Information please. Is it possible as a private individual to import a commercial vehicle from Northern Ireland for the flat rate of €50 VRT and then tax it as a commercial vehicle, or do you need a company name VAT number etc. I may need to purchase something, as a new job would require me to have my own mode of transport, preferably a van. I have looked onto the revenue website but couldn’t be sure. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Yep. You'll have no problems. Your in the same position as a sole trader. You'll have to pay VAT though. You won't get this back unless you sell to a non VAT registered buyer when selling on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

ballooba wrote: »
    Yep. You'll have no problems. Your in the same position as a sole trader. You'll have to pay VAT though. You won't get this back unless you sell to a non VAT registered buyer when selling on.

cheers, how is the vat calculated?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

vat rate is 17.5% in the uk, although if you buy private they often don't add the vat on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Is that 17.5% on the amount you paid for it or a value the revenue would have as standard or calculated for vehicle type, year etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Vat is completely different to vrt, the 17.5% vat goes to the uk revenue, its 17.5% on the actual price paid for the vehicle. Most autotrader ads show the vat and non vat price.

Are you thinking of buying new or used, and if used from a dealer or private? as I said, most private sellers don't bothered adding the vat if its a cash sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Private seller will also charge VAT if they are VAT registered. It would be quite common for a priavet seller of commercial vehicle to be VAT registered seeing as most are owned by businesses.

Advertisement