Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crappy Driving Licences

• 14-01-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or are Irish driving licences really crappy. I mean I've had mine for 2 or 3 years and it's abosolutley in tatters. Granted, it has been through the wash a few times but they should be more durable than this. Why can't we have laminated card-type licences like most other countries?
    UK:
    xphotodriving-licence.jpg

US:
    license-NY.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Those are some olllllllllddddddddd licenses...look at those dates! I know most of the newer ones are even more advanced. Anyway, it costs more to make the better ones. Even though it might be a small amount, multiply that by millions of drivers and it gets expensive. That, and politicians don't want to look bad by raising a fee to pay for the better licenses. The reason the US licenses became more durable (with bar codes and magnetic strips as well) is because everyone was "scared" that an old ID (paper that is laminated) is too easy to make-your-own-fake and that people were driving, smoking, drinking, etc., on fake IDs. Using that scare tactic made it okay and everyone voted to pay a little extra for the upgraded licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Count yourself lucky with your crappy paper licence, I go through at least one a year, either get washed or just fall apart in my bike jacket.

Ireland will soon follow the USA and the rest of the world with their nice shiny compatible smart card driver license / ID cards containing RFID technology. It will pinpoint your movements and tell the cops exactly what you had for breakfast and can also be read at a distance from inside your pocket!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you've changed address since it was issued, you can get a free replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mine is shoved in to the map pocket on the sunvisor and its still getting worn just from taking it out at checkpoints (driving huge distances at night does mean I get checked about twice a week during the "drinking season" tho). The plastic wrapper is starting to get torn, and the paper crumpled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,015 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MCMLXXXIII wrote: »
    Those are some olllllllllddddddddd licenses...look at those dates!
    1996 and 2000!

Yea really 'ollllllllddddddddd'. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ireland will soon follow the USA and the rest of the world with their nice shiny compatible smart card driver license / ID cards containing RFID technology. It will pinpoint your movements and tell the cops exactly what you had for breakfast and can also be read at a distance from inside your pocket!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID
    Don't start, you have a thread in the Christianity forum to rant about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ive had mine since Aug 99 and its fine. Been inmy wallet the whole time and spent the night in the garden in the rain once too (the licence, not me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

The Irish licenses aren't great, but it's not so long since they were hand written (10-15 years ago?). I remember handing in the hand written version when hiring cars and seeing the clerk sneering behind the desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

The nice credit card uk licences look fine and are a handy size however
    if you want to hire a car you still need to take the letter that came attached with the licence as it contains any endorsements you have got
    If you don't have the letter most hire companies will not accept just the card

So not an ideal solution either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I agree, its a pain in the ass carrying around an wallet unfriendly licence that in only contains a very small amount of information and is simple to forge. I have to carry it around considering I'm not always driving the same car. The least the government could do now that we have to have it with us at all times in a vechile is make it handy to carry it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

When i go to the US, i use my drivers license for ID at bars etc. I had one guy examine it once, laugh and say "I could make this!"
    I just said, "im sure you could, but would you bother?" He let me in no problem at least.. it was funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Exactly the same as the old Dutch and German ones, none of the cops on the continent will find it strange :)

And they are quite hard to fake, almost as hard to fake as money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

How do you go about getting one replaced?
    Is it just the standard renewal form you use?
    Will they replace it just because it's tattered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

When those new licences come out do we all have to get hairstyles like the 2 guys in the op's samples? They are 2 hip an' happenin' dudes!

Rory123 wrote: »
    When those new licences come out do we all have to get hairstyles like the 2 guys in the op's samples? They are 2 hip an' happenin' dudes!

Hey! Watch it.
    That first one is me

jimbo78 wrote: »
    How do you go about getting one replaced?
    Is it just the standard renewal form you use?
    Will they replace it just because it's tattered?
    Form D800 signed and stamped by a garda plus two pics plus €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Hey! Watch it.
    That first one is me

Howcome your signature is "A Sample"?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

craichoe wrote: »
    Exactly the same as the old Dutch and German ones, none of the cops on the continent will find it strange :)
    Exactly. My wife recently had to exchange her Dutch licence for an Irish one, and there doesn't seem to be any significant difference in quality. I don't see the problem really.

• Advertisement

Rory123 wrote: »
    Howcome your signature is "A Sample"?! ;)

First you offend the way I look, then my name :eek:
    Form D800 signed and stamped by a garda plus two pics plus €5.
    Cheers for that. Didn't think about getting it stamped by a Garda. More trouble than I thought

Didn't think about getting it stamped by a Garda. More trouble than I thought
    Strictly speaking that process is for lost, stolen or destroyed licences.

Some people 'lose' their licence when it is in tatters and get a new one but I've oftened wondered if they will replace it free of charge if a tattered one is presented!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

The nice credit card uk licences look fine and are a handy size however
    if you want to hire a car you still need to take the letter that came attached with the licence as it contains any endorsements you have got
    If you don't have the letter most hire companies will not accept just the card

So not an ideal solution either

Does this apply to UK license only? I’ve rented cars in Ireland a couple of times with a US license without the need for anything else besides the license itself. Irish one's a joke, never fails to get a disbelieving look when i produce it anywhere outside ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

promethius wrote: »
    Does this apply to UK license only? I’ve rented cars in Ireland a couple of times with a US license without the need for anything else besides the license itself. Irish one's a joke, never fails to get a disbelieving look when i produce it anywhere outside ireland!

I've never had anyone react in a negative way at all. I've rented in Germany and Greece and no one batted an eylid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Germany used to have an absolutely identical licence - its the former EU recommended standard that very few countries took.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I've never had anyone react in a negative way at all. I've rented in Germany and Greece and no one batted an eylid.

I should have said this experience was mostly outside europe, particularly in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

The French licence is nearly the same as ours too (except theirs don't ever expire)

Advertisement