Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cert: 70-316 .. I need help ??

Options
  • 14-01-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I want to do this exam this year but but want to do it by studying at home and dont want to do a course where i have to attend(for work reasons):

70-316
    Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

I was wondering if anyone knew what I have to do to start it, preferably, i would like to study at home and just go in to do the exam(s) (where ever that may be?? i dont know, do you?)

Is this possible? and where can i go to do it.. i have been looking around but i thought i might get better info asking here.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

I'd assume that you can sit the exam at any Prometric site around the country. Check their website for a testing centre closest to where you live.

I'd guess that there are plenty of CBT products out there that would cover that course.

McGintyMcGoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Thanks for the reply,

There seems to be so many different courses and certs, I was wondering if you or anyone else knows of a course for me.. basically i have little experience in C# but would love to do one that was basic or too advanced but somewhere in the middle that was based on C# and .NET.

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The Windows based exam is about callbacks, delegates and windows based .net development. Personally i found the 315 (i did it as 305) easier.

I am just running out the door at the moment but I will come back to you on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

check out www.ecollege.ie its done by fas and you study when u feel like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok

What is your background, if its Windows Programming from the old school style of WinC++ then you shouldnt find the 316 course work too bad.

However if you are just familiar with C# you should possibly aim at the Web applications one 70-315. Its not as hard as the windows one (but I am biased as I do all web app stuff)

Unfortunately you cannot pick up the tools for free for it. There are now 2003 express editions... Unless work are willing to give you a licence for your home study.

So....

Would you consider looking at the 2.0 versions. That is the MCTS Web or MCTS Windows certifications. You have to do 2 exams to get the cert but might be something better considering that the 1.1 is now a bit older. And if you know 2.0 you can whip down to 1.1 with a wee bit of modification.

The exams are

70-536 is required for either of them so you would have to do it anyways

and pick either

70-526 which is the Windows one
    or
    70-528 which is the Web one

You can prepare for these using the relevant MCTS books from MSPress and supplementing it with some practical programming experience.

Hope this helps-- If you need any more info just ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

@ginger
    Thanks very much thats a great help... i will look into these exams and see which one might suit me better.

@skelliser
    This was also a great help, it looks like a great starting point for as they will be my first exams since college.. and it looks cheap too!!

thanks guys.

Advertisement