Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what age to begin playing chess?

• 14-01-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭

For kids aged between 3 and 5 is it worth trying to teach them to play chess and if so would you start games with pawns and maybe a couple of other pieces at a time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

yes I think you can learn at 5. 3 is a bit young to decide to just start teaching them, if you are playing with your 5 year old and the 3 year old is interested then that is an ideal way to start though.

starting with pawns is one way to teach the game. Personally I don't do this because I like my students to be able to play other players immediately in a full game of chess. But I try it from time to time with non-beginners, and I keep meaning to try it with beginners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Have played a few 8 or 9 year olds in my day who were well able to play, anyone younger tends to be just learning and after the first 10 moves seem lost and tend to blunder.
    I reckon 7 and upwards is a good time to learn the basics but I wouldn't get too bothered about anything except making sure the kid enjoys the game. Maybe leave the bishop and knight endings till they're playing for a few years.

PS
    off topic
    does anyone want to play a game? maybe by email or on some of the gamesites?

Advertisement