Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Fetac and Fas,any1 know??!

Options
  • 14-01-2008 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hows it going,
    I'm just wondering could any1 help me out with this coz I can't seem to get it from the ppl themselves. What does a Fetac award do for you? Does it make it easier to get a job like,say if I was to do me Fetac Level 5 in Furniture making and then get an apprenticeship,do I have to start from scratch or does the Fetac give me a head start??any advice or answers would be very much appreciated.Thanks,
    Craig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

FETAC awards are currently being integrated into the National Framework for Higher Education Awards. The FETAC awards will run from level 1 to level 6. Level 6 is the equivalent of a National Certificate (now called Higher Certificate I think). Ordinary degrees are level 7, honours degree level 8 and so on. Level 6 and upwards is awarded by HETAC (h is for higher) or in the case of Universities and DIT by the colleges themselves.

FETAC (Further Education and Training Awards Council) is an officially recognised qualification and so I imagine if you completed level 5 FETAC you would not have to start again in an apprenticeship. Completing FETAC level 5 in something like furniture making would probably put you a fair bit ahead of someone just starting an apprenticeship, but you'd have to ask whatever college or training body you're hoping to get into.

FETAC awards are also accepted as satisfying the entry requirements for some college courses at higher certificate and ordinary degree level.

Advertisement