Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti teen pregnancy posters

• 14-01-2008 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think ?

boy01_1.preview.jpg

boy02_1.preview.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

a side view might have been better. looks like a huge beer belly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

TBH, I'm not even entirely sure what they're getting at...?
    Are those guys teenagers? They look kinda older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They are teens.
    The idea being that the image of a teen age boy who is preggers is shocking and disturbing and that the image or idea of a teenage girl being preggers should be too.

Yeah I figured that was it but they just looked a bit older to me, though on second glance they look younger. Anyway, I dunno if they're gonna be very effective. Doesn't really send any real message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Nah, doesn't exactly hit home really does it?! Nothing there to make you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

em, to be honest. they wouldn't be any sort of huge deterrent for me. it looks odd, but, if you hadn't pointed it out specifically, id glance at the poster, be briefly amused, and leave.

but, who are the posters specifically aimed at? teenage boys, girls, or both? cos, i think anyway, that a teenage boy would look at it, and, if any amount of thought went into it, would probably kinda dismiss it, in that, it won't happen to them, and despite the ideal, the sight of a pregnant teenage girl isn't that abnormal, it's something we've all seen.

honestly actually, i think the ones with the stats as to how many girls always thought 'it wouldn't happen to me', were the ones that always got me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead agrees. They're not really HARD hitting at all. In fact, Pighead would go as far as to say that they are actually SOFT hitting. Teenage girls aren't gonna be shocked by those pics, in fact some will probably swoon over the first lads edgy haircut.

If Pighead were in charge of that ad campaign he'd have the two lads stretched out on a hospital bed pushing out a baby through their todgers. That'd make the young uns think twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead agrees. They're not really HARD hitting at all. In fact, Pighead would go as far as to say that they are actually SOFT hitting. Teenage girls aren't gonna be shocked by those pics, in fact some will probably swoon over the first lads edgy haircut.

If Pighead were in charge of that ad campaign he'd have the two lads stretched out on a hospital bed pushing out a baby through their todgers. That'd make the young uns think twice.

I found a new way to pass time before heading out.

Click on Pigheads profile, see whatever thread he's replying to and wait for him to write a new magnum opus.

God bless you Pighead.

For the record,I knew women turned on by pot bellies on guys (!) so this mightny work on them

pigheads got the right idea

Pighead is on the money here. Even a video of a woman giving birth would deter young girls from men, let alone sex imo!
    However, this sh!t is not gonna work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From a dude's perspective, I've no idea what message you're trying to convoy.

Are you saying this in a negative light, or a positive light? I ask, as when I look at it, it's almost in a "why you shouldn't care if a teenager is pregnant , as they look like lads with beer bellies" light.

Not disturbing, slightly funny, and wouldn't really get a second glance.

Was anyone else reminded of that Johnny Bravo episode where he's babysitting or something and watching tv?

Voice on TV: "I have good news, I'm pregnant!"
    2nd voice on TV "Oh honey, you can't get pregnant. You're a man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the first guy looks like he is made out of plastic, it took me a second to see the belly, it just looks like bad photoshoping.

Not sure it works really well as a pregnant girl isn't going to around half naked like that - I understand what they are going for but its doesn't read as a realistic situation. Maybe if they were dressed and had them walking along the street or hanging out with their friends and you could see the contrast.

they look (to a young teen i'd imagine) like their meant to be cool. it kinda makes it cool lol. seriously this doesnt work at all.

they look (to a young teen i'd imagine) like their meant to be cool. it kinda makes it cool lol. seriously this doesnt work at all.

How long before we get anti teen pregnancy raps?

"yo yo yo, teen preggas is not phat homie"
    Etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ztoical wrote: »
    Maybe if they were dressed and had them walking along the street or hanging out with their friends and you could see the contrast.
    Agreed. A pregnant dude (in a slumped preggers posture) with other non-pregnant dudes would stick out better.

Oh, and they look like they're from a Calvin Kline ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Doesn't work at all. For one thing, the reality is men don't get pregnant at ANY age ... if only women could get pregnant in the teenage years, whereas men could get pregnant but only at a later age, and therefore teen guys pregnant would be surprising / shocking, there might be some sense to it.

A different caption might have improved it somewhat, e.g.
    "Guys, would you be as quick to 'forget' the condom if it could happen to you?"
    or something like that ... but this is just confused / silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

A different caption might have improved it somewhat, e.g.
    "Guys, would you be as quick to 'forget' the condom if it could happen to you?"
    or something like that ... but this is just confused / silly.

And the pictures could have been of the guys in a painful labour, then surrounded by dirty nappies and with a crying baby.

I think the actual pregnancy is not what should be focused on so much, instead there should be an emphasis on the responsiblities of rearing the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The add is aimed at the complacency about teen pregnancy's and the text on it is about how much they cost society as a whole.
    So teen should be educated better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's a crap ad. And insensitive. So it's saying pregnant boys are completely unnatural and disturbing, so it should be unnatural and disturbing also if it's a girl? Not a very nice thing to see if you are preggars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Its just silly, no shock value, nothing to make you think. And who is it meant to target? Young lads will just be reminded that if they do get anyone pregnant they dont have to deal with it. And it doesnt relate to girls in any way. Actually its more of a comment to older people about teen pregnancy. But sure what use to anyone is that?

Young girls should be shown pictures of stretch marks and post labour vaginas and their topshop skinny jeans dying of loneliness in the wardrobe and their mates going to college and having careers while they wipe up baby sick. Far more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Peared wrote: »

Young girls should be shown pictures of stretch marks and post labour vaginas and their topshop skinny jeans dying of loneliness in the wardrobe and their mates going to college and having careers while they wipe up baby sick. Far more effective.

I completely agree with that! Girls need to be shown the (i hate to say it - please no one take offence) negative side of pregnancy. I definitely think showing them thinks like that would be more effective

The first pic... he looks more like a girl than a guy!! Hard to see the belly in those pics.

Where did these posters come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

The add is aimed at the complacency about teen pregnancy's and the text on it is about how much they cost society as a whole.
    So teen should be educated better.

educated ? as in 'use contraception' as that mentality has failed as anyone in the uk will tell you

LadyJ wrote: »
    Pighead is on the money here. Even a video of a woman giving birth would deter young girls from men, let alone sex imo!
    However, this sh!t is not gonna work.

yep, i do recall being shown a video of a woman giving birth, almost no angle went unchecked. this was first class tuesday morning during first year college.

the whole class were basically silent for the day, and we agreed (only half jokingly) to set up a celibate society. definitley scary and definitely hit home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

narco wrote: »
    yep, i do recall being shown a video of a woman giving birth, almost no angle went unchecked. this was first class tuesday morning during first year college.

the whole class were basically silent for the day, and we agreed (only half jokingly) to set up a celibate society. definitley scary and definitely hit home.

You see the thing is being shown it in first year college is too late as it is

It should probably be be first year in secondary school.

we got our sex talk in school in 6th class but of course we didn't take it seriously and thought it was hilarious. then in secondary we got the contraception side of it but still we had old teachers teaching us and e didn't listen

kids need people they can relate to and scare tactics put in front of them if there's going to be any hope of it discouraging them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Spyral wrote: »
    educated ? as in 'use contraception' as that mentality has failed as anyone in the uk will tell you
    Yeah, and Catholic demonisation of sex worked so well over here :rolleyes:

Those ads are retarded. Teens already know that pregnancy is a bad thing at such a young age. It's not like young girls are thinking "ah sure it's grand if I get pregnant".

Also, scare tactics don't work on young people. We're far too desensitised and less naive than older generations were.

true. though that video wasn't part of any sort of sex education, we were learning about ante and post natal care and all that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Yeah, and Catholic demonisation of sex worked so well over here :rolleyes:

Those ads are retarded. Teens already know that pregnancy is a bad thing at such a young age. It's not like young girls are thinking "ah sure it's grand if I get pregnant".

I dont know if young girls really do know its not a great idea though. When you have eegits like Nicole Ritchie, Jamie Lynn Spears, Lily Allen and people these girls look up to doing it, it can seem like its not such a bad thing. Obviously they dont factor in the small detail that these girls are loaded. A lot of them still think they will be handed a house the minute they pop too. Lots of teen pregnancies are genuine mistakes, but lots are girls looking to escape from something, or dont know any different, its what they see around them.

I think life education, not just sex education needs to be thought in schools. Its a nice idea to think parents should do it but that simply doesnt happen in lots of homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Spyral wrote: »
    And for the failure of the "don't use contraception" mentality cf. Magdalene Laundries and the "oh, Mary has gone on a long holiday to her Auntie Betty in London" scenario ... as anyone in Ireland above a certain age will tell you.
    we got our sex talk in school in 6th class but of course we didn't take it seriously and thought it was hilarious. then in secondary we got the contraception side of it but still we had old teachers teaching us and we didn't listen

kids need people they can relate to ...
    Agreed 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

narco wrote: »

I don't get this at all. I don't get why grown women are so freaked at the idea of your body doing what it is built for. It takes a lot to shock people these days - I don't think that viewing a birth is enough to deter a teenager from pregnancy. Birth is birth is birth no matter what age you are - it isn't any more "horrifying" at 14 than it is at 40.

Post-labour vaginas are the same as pre-pregnancy vaginas. It is a myth that the vagina is ruined or misshapen in anyway postpartum - this only happens (and even at that it is very rare) in women who have had multiple vaginal deliveries - ie 6 or more.
    When you have eegits like Nicole Ritchie, Jamie Lynn Spears, Lily Allen and people these girls look up to doing it, it can seem like its not such a bad thing.

Both Lily Allen and Nicole Richie are both in their 20's. They are adult women having children... I don't see what the problem is with that. They shouldn't not have children just because teenage girls might look up to them - that is just crazy.

Advertisement