Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best/worst make car in ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

moomoo2007 wrote: »
    He said that audi are just a fancier option im saying audi cars any style are a better make of motor than vw thats all and that audi a3's dont share any resemblence with golfs thats all.

You said your paying for a better quality car , which your not, your payign for the badge.

Skoda fair better on recent reliability and satisfacyion surveys than both VW and Audi despite being largely the same cars on the concerned models. What are you paying for there by buyign the premium priced audi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

and not after one for the sake of how it looks i would rather a 1.6 version because could not afford tax nor insurance of anything bigger.

I'd say you'd have to go for a 1.8L.
    I think the only 1.6 Celicas were in the really old models.

You can pick up a 1.8 Celica very cheaply...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-TOYOTA-CELICA-1-8-ST-4-SEATER-SPORTS-COUPE-SILVER_W0QQitemZ110212611789QQihZ001QQcategoryZ18290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's the point in a Celica with a 1.6 engine? It defeats the purpose of this type of car. That's what Hyundai Coupes are for.

As for the Audi being better than a VW, VW being better than a Skoda, etc. Its the power of marketing aimed at people's perception of things:- The more something costs = the better the product. Complete and utter rubbish.

I'd agree about the Celica, though I think the lowest engine size you can get now is 1.8L.
    I guess if you like the looks of a Celica but aren't interested in power then 1.8 would be the way to go.

Personally if I were going for a sports / performance car I'd have to go for the Turbo / MIVEC / VTec / etc.

On a somewhat related subject, a pet hate of mine is people who dress up there cars to be better models than they really are.
    E.g. fake Cosworths, 1.4 Golfs with GTi badges, fake M3s, etc, etc.

RE VW and Audi, I've owned A4s and Passats and I have to say that I found the Passat to be superior.
    Mainly down to the handling / way it held the road.
    The A4s seemed to be badly balanced in comparison and didn't handle sharp corners very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd agree about the Celica, though I think the lowest engine size you can get now is 1.8L.
    I guess if you like the looks of a Celica but aren't interested in power then 1.8 would be the way to go.

Personally if I were going for a sports / performance car I'd have to go for the Turbo / MIVEC / VTec / etc.

The Celica is now discontinued, 1.8 was the only engine size, with 140 or 189bhp versions. VVTL-i was used in the 189bhp version which is Toyotas answer to VTEC/MIVEC.

• Advertisement

Well they did a 1.6 version of the Celica on some of the early models, MK I / Mk II, I'm not sure which.
    Any GT4 models I've seen have been 2.0L.

Sorry if my post about MIVEC / Turbo was ambiguous.
    I was trying to say that let's say I was going for a FTO I'd have to go for the 2.0 MIVEC and not the 1.8, or if I was looking at Celicas / MR2s I'd have to go for a Turbo over a NA model, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

This is fact not conjecture. An A3 is a fancy Golf. Look it up if you like but the facts are the facts. They share the same platform, engine, gearboxes, brake systems, and other mechanical items that most of us will never see.
    Eg: There's a Golf 2.0 TDI and funnily enough there's an A3 2.0TDI. What about the Golf 1.6 with its ancient eight valve enigine? Funnily enough that appears in the A3 also. I could go on, and on and on...
    :p

There's probably also a Scoda and a Seat that belong to the same family as the A3 and the Golf.

But like I said before I'd take the Tdi Golf over the A3 equivalent.

Is there any A3 equivalent to the Gti, VR6, and R32?
    Like a RS3?
    I've heard of RS3s but I've never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I would have thought the worst would be something Korean.....like Kia or those horible TaTa things from India :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

whats with all the hype about VAG mobiles in the last few years? there nowhere near as good as some people make them out to be.,
    and yes, an A3 IS a golf, so much so that you'll find VW markings on various engine parts in the A3., i wouldnt have either but the A3 is for stupid people who think they have a car 10 times better than it really is. then the golf owners can laugh at them.

as for the original topic,
    Id say honda for the best due to bulletproof reliability of honda engines going back decades, theres nothing else out there for similar money that is as reliable as them,. their first diesel engine they brought out in the accord is a great engine too.,

worst would be a tough one but i think id go with Rover, their cars looked ok but they loved to eat headgaskets and water pumps etc,. also every new car they released was just the old one with a gift voucher for halfords spent on it.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

groupb wrote: »
    Anyone that lusts after an audi A3 has no intrest in cars or driving.
    Its just a golf except more money....

My favourite.
    All the VW group except seat.

Worst.
    Lada
    opel
    fiat
    citreon
    renault.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sweet jesus there is some bitterness on this thread! apparently i hate cars, know nothing and am not interested in driving. I'm also stupid. glad I clicked in to learn all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

Hmm never heard of a bugatti thats a first?!?!

my top best toyota
    audi
    nissan

worst fiat
    citroen
    peugot

hmmmm so were meant to value your informed comments regarding car reliability when you've never even heard of a bugatti :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

moomoo2007 , first you like audi A3s and now you mention "nifty" starlets/glanzas? Can you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Heard that hondas are like a piece of tin if involved in a crash. but yep fiats live up to their fix it again tommorow name eh :rolleyes:
    Loving the audi a3 classy car hmm my next vroom vroom if i can afford one:D

You know nothing about cars really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I reckon you're getting good bang for your buck with a skoda.

Yeah, that's right, a skoda.

put that in yer pipe and smoke it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Best car:
    Anything with front fogs and 2 rear fogs
    Gatso proof Number Plate

Worst:
    No front fogs and one rear fog
    Normal Number plate

Theyre bound to come up eventually

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Only on boards could you find someone who's never heard of Bugatti or an MX-5 lecturing people on how an A3 bears no resemblance to a Golf.

I really ought to stick to Octane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

cjt156 wrote: »
    Only on boards could you find someone who's never heard of Bugatti or an MX-5 lecturing people on how an A3 bears no resemblance to a Golf.

Ah good aul octane used to be brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cjt156 wrote: »

Don't forget the tin Honda's also! They're tin in a crash, and Mazda's are pure muck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Biro wrote: »
    Don't forget the tin Honda's also! They're tin in a crash, and Mazda's are pure muck! :D

Guess you havent seen honda's new car!

101143976_c0687cbf09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Best:Hyundai anything
    Worst: anything not Hyundai.

(me stirs away quietly) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

best: VW
    Toyota
    worst: Fiat

VW + toyota because of reliabilty and value.(VW's pricey but hold value well)

Fiat...iv driven 2 different types and both were riddled with faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

RE VW and Audi, I've owned A4s and Passats and I have to say that I found the Passat to be superior.
    Mainly down to the handling / way it held the road.
    The A4s seemed to be badly balanced in comparison and didn't handle sharp corners very well.

Interesting.. I own a passat and my father has an A4, I also prefer the passat, as I think the layout is nicer, and the seats are comfier etc, and the legroom in the back is unbeatable!

However I dont agree with the handling part, from my experiance the audi is a much sharper drive, the passat just doesnt have the sharp feel on the road and around corners that the audi has, I think it may be a different steering rack/ suspenson set up or something. Also the passat is a foot longer than the audi so it feels a much bigger car overall, more of a long distance cruiser.

As to the reliability of VW/Audi, I've had vws for the last 4 years, my father an audi for 9 years, my gf has one, multiple uncles, cousins and friends, and besides expensive main dealer servicing, no one has ever had any trouble with them.

PaulKK wrote: »
    However I dont agree with the handling part, from my experiance the audi is a much sharper drive, the passat just doesnt have the sharp feel on the road and around corners that the audi has, I think it may be a different steering rack/ suspenson set up or something.

What models were the Passats / Audis you drove.
    My experience is from TDis, they were 2000-2002 models.
    I used to get this feeling from the A4s that they were shifting about as I drove, handling like a boat type of thing.
    It used to feel like they were badly balanced.
    The Passat just seemed alot smoother.
    I remember them commenting on Top Gear that the fact that Audi put their engines so far forward puts the balance off.
    Passats have the engine just as far forward though so this wouldn't explain the difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Best
    Toyota,VW

Worst
    Fiat,renault,citroen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

LOL at anyone that thinks Opel is a bad make of car.. you obv had a late 90's early 2000 model corsa?

Opel are fine, yes Toyota are very reliable, ive never had one but i dont think i need have owned one to say they are pretty good.

Worst, by a loooonnnnnnnngggg way is those Ssang Yong ****boxes that are being sold... im buying a new car, im looking at the Opel Antara, but for the laugh i got into the Ssang Yong... i cant really cay much other than apart from the fact they use merc engines and transmissions they are dirt, ive actually seen some of these in a car sales that were never driven but have been out the back with mould growning up through them as they were been used for spares...

prendy wrote: »
    best: VW
    Toyota
    worst: Fiat

VW + toyota because of reliabilty and value.(VW's pricey but hold value well)

Fiat...iv driven 2 different types and both were riddled with faults.

+1

It's also good to see Opel getting a good bashing, I really hate them.
    They must have the most horrible and boring interior ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Yes the Audi is shorter than the Passat. And the Passat is shorter than the Superb.
    All use the exact same parts, (engine gearbox, ect.) in different models.
    The A3 is a tarted up Golf, but I also think that the Golf is also overrated. I would pick a focus before a Golf.
    I am not going to explain why, too many diferences.
    As for reliability, I would have to say that all cars can be different. I used to own Peugeot Diesels and loved them. I found the HDi a super reliable car. i now own a VW TDI. No worries so far, but only my second VW and my first year with this car.

• Advertisement

The HDi has a great engine alright.
    I'd a HDi 406 myself and found it to be great?
    But choosing a Focus over a Golf?
    Why?
    I just personally don't see anything good about them, but I suppose I don't really like any Fords (well the standard ones anyway).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement