Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best/worst make car in ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The Golf, Jetta, Octavia, A3 and A4 use the same chassis, and largely the same engines.
    Passat, A6 and Superb likewise; so its largely pointless to compare the Passat and the A4; you may as well argue the merits of the Focus over the Mondeo...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

who was it said opels where good?., lol, just lol., :D
    I dont think theres any other car off the top of my head that can drink oil at the rate of a lot of opels including fairly modern ones.
    And the guy who never heard of bugatti.,pmsl, we need him back here, he was good crack, although i I do like the old GT stalets for some reason, the Galanza just looks like a pimped up granny mobile compared to it., Having been rear ended at about 35MPH while i was stopped in traffic in a modern civic i can tell you that they hold up extremely well, there was absolutely no damage to the car other than the rear bumper. the wheel well was perfect and all.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Well to be fair, I drove a 1.7dTi Astra before and I have to say that I couldn't believe how quick it was.
    It only had a few hundred miles on it but it was quicker than the HDi 406 that I had at the time.
    Apart from the Monaro there's nothing else positive i can say about Opel.

I'm constantly getting stuck with them as rental cars / company cars etc.
    and I really, really hate them.

I'm a fan of Honda too though.
    I've never owned one but I love the older Type-Rs, I can't stand the shape of newer Civics though. I once had a loan of a SIR-II V-Tec and it was a rocket.
    Integra Type-R's probably my favourite Honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

Best

Fiat Stilo 3dr
    Renault Espace not the current model
    Alfa GTV

Worst

VW Golf
    Toyota Corolla
    Merc C180

The 3 worst are due to being totally over rated and untruths about reliability. Except for the Corolla which is just the dullest car ever.

(CH3)2CHOH wrote: »
    Best

Fiat Stilo 3dr
    Renault Espace not the current model
    Alfa GTV

Worst

VW Golf
    Toyota Corolla
    Merc C180

The 3 worst are due to being totally over rated and untruths about reliability. Except for the Corolla which is just the dullest car ever.

I'd agree about the Merc, most Merc's in general are way overpriced IMO.
    The basic Corolla is abit dull but it's one of the most reliable cars ever built.
    The G6R Corolla is a very nice car and far from dull.

I don't see what people can have against the Golf.
    I've driven loads of them and love them.
    The way they hold the road is unbelievable.
    The TDi is probably the best all-round Golf and the R32 is phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

The HDi has a great engine alright.
    I'd a HDi 406 myself and found it to be great?
    But choosing a Focus over a Golf?
    Why?
    I just personally don't see anything good about them, but I suppose I don't really like any Fords (well the standard ones anyway).
    I just think that a Focus has better value for money appeal. Take the 1.4 petrol in both..
    I just think that a golf is dated looking and bland inside and out. To be fair I don't know the exact prices of both but I would hazzard a guess that the VW is more expensive.

The ford just looks a better car to me and from the reviews the car drives very well and is underrated by the public.
    Perhaps a golf and a focus were the wrong cars to make such a comparison, but what the hell..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

vtec wrote: »
    I dont think theres any other car off the top of my head that can drink oil at the rate of a lot of opels including fairly modern ones.

I am pretty neutral on Opels but I have a diesel Vectra that I bought for the purpose of hammering it up and down some poor irish roads (work commute). 254K and no major problems, never needs oil(s) and with the exception of suspension bits/bobs no major surgery required. A penal beater once told me he ranked them with Volvos for chassis strength in a crash.

Due to the high milage I'm guessing I will have trouble giving it away so I am currently trying to kill it so I have an excuse to buy my next car but it refuses to die! No affiliation to Opel by the way.

Top car
    Honda Accord

Worst car
    I once saw a Daewoo Matiz that collapsed on its front wheel when mounting a kerb.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I just think that a Focus has better value for money appeal. Take the 1.4 petrol in both..
    I just think that a golf is dated looking and bland inside and out. To be fair I don't know the exact prices of both but I would hazzard a guess that the VW is more expensive.

The ford just looks a better car to me and from the reviews the car drives very well and is underrated by the public.
    Perhaps a golf and a focus were the wrong cars to make such a comparison, but what the hell..

I think you can get a new entry level Golf for ~€22K.
    I'd agree with you about the Golf's exterior, it could be described as bland.
    I find the interior decent though, the blue dash, comfortable seats, cup holders, etc.

My main problem with Fords is that they feel very light and tinny with a cheap plastic feel to the interiors.
    I don't like driving them either, they just feel poorly made.

The only Golfs I've driven are TDis and Gtis and both felt really solid and stuck to the road, perhaps the 1.4/1.6 petrol models aren't as good.

I'll probably need to get a second car soon for commuting and I'll probably go for a TDi Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

There's probably also a Scoda and a Seat that belong to the same family as the A3 and the Golf.

But like I said before I'd take the Tdi Golf over the A3 equivalent.

Is there any A3 equivalent to the Gti, VR6, and R32?
    Like a RS3?
    I've heard of RS3s but I've never seen one.

there is an s3

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/264955.htm The mtm versions are crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I don't see what people can have against the Golf.
    I've driven loads of them and love them.
    The way they hold the road is unbelievable.
    The TDi is probably the best all-round Golf and the R32 is phenomenal.

The last 3 statements there pretty much answer the first one. It's everyone's opinion of a reasonably good car that causes me to hate them.
    The way they hold the road is not unbelievable. The mk 4 Golf is a poor handling car. Reasonable levels of grip at best with no feed back and a mediocre chassis. It's just comfortable for an average driver, well insulated and well put together with below average electrics. There's really nothing more can be said about them. The TDi's were grand in their day, but are out classed now, you need to go for the 2 litre TDi's to match competition.
    Also, a 130bhp TDi Golf is NOT fast. It's NOT an animal. Anyone who thinks that was never in a car with real power. The Focus is a better handling car, which is why VW went and put independent rear suspension in the Mk 5 golf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

vtec wrote: »

I've had 5 and never had any oil consumption problems. In fact never had any major problems at all.

Is this your view based on ownership?

Well I'd have to disagree about the handling.
    I hammered a MkIV Tdi Golf before and it absolutely stuck to the road.
    I don't think anyone's calling the Tdi an 'animal' the basic TDi gives 90Bhp which is far from exciting but it still gives a respectable amount of power for an every day car.

Nobody's trying to claim that a TDi Golf is an amazing, high performance car.
    It's just a very well made hatchback with plenty of room inside.
    I don't know of any hatchback that I'd view as being superior.
    If I have to get something for commuting It'll be a toss up between a Golf and a Passat.
    The Passat has the advantage of extra space and comfort and
    the Golf has the advantage of better performance and handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Many opel cars use fiat engines :p

Worst ive ever seen for taking oil was the mid to late 1990's ford fiests, you'd need a gallon of it in the boot at all times.

snyper wrote: »
    Many opel cars use fiat engines :p

Worst ive ever seen for taking oil was the mid to late 1990's ford fiests, you'd need a gallon of it in the boot at all times.

I had this experience with a battered up 1992 Fiasco.
    I used to have to put in 1L of oil evrey time I put £10 of petrol into it.

I never knew Opel use Fiat engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I never knew Opel use Fiat engines.

Only the 1.9 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Pointless thread - there is no best or worst car, totally depends on the individual's needs and tastes

How anyone can put a VW golf into the 'worst' category is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 like.no.other

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I would have thought the worst would be something Korean.....like Kia or those horible TaTa things from India :confused:

Well having read the thread I'd say most here don't know much about cars. :p Seems most are based on pub talk or hearsay rather than ownership or facts.

To know the worst cars at the moment all you have to do is look at the recall section in one of the trade mags. Fiat and Renault seems to be leading the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

this thread is nuts, some of the posts are to silly to comprehend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

furtzy wrote: »
    Only the 1.9 diesel

& 1.3L TDi :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Best

Fiat Stilo 3drRenault Espace not the current model
    Alfa GTV

Worst

VW Golf
    Toyota Corolla
    Merc C180

im sorry bot lol at this post...anyone who has ANY fiat in among the best cars loses all respect. and the corolla is always voted one of the top cars in this country.never had a merc so cant comment.

• Advertisement

siralfalot wrote: »
    this thread is nuts, some of the posts are to silly to comprehend

It's just a harmless discussion about cars.
    Of course the best / worst cars are just down to peoples own tastes / opinions and will vary greatly.
    I like discussing cars so IMO this is a pretty decent thread as they go.
    Especially compared to mindless drivel such as this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215831&highlight=banned+green

Now that's a pointless thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

Pointless thread - there is no best or worst car, totally depends on the individual's needs and tastes

How anyone can put a VW golf into the 'worst' category is beyond me

Thats my point with my list. It can only be on personal experience, I'm not going to pick a best or worst car without actually having genuine reason's why.

My wife has out up 115000 miles on her Espace absolutely trouble free, it take us over and back to the UK with 3 kids and 3 weeks worth of luggage/toys in total comfort. When we moved house I moved everything using the Espace including the 3 couch's, double beds etc....

My Fiat Stilo has now done 45,000 miles again totally trouble free.
    Handles great and the 1.2 engine is super ecconomical (6speed) but faster than a 1.4 Golf up to the legal limit.

The GTV is probably my next car, since I love the styling and the t-spark engine.

I picked the Golf as so bad since a very good friend had to have 3 head gaskets replaced on her 1.4 Golf which she bought brand new. The dealer consantly tried to blame her driving style and shift the problem onto her, the 3rd time it happened he even tried to deny the Gasket was gone again. She eventually traded it in for a Bora and had a years worth of problems with the rear suspension.

The standard Corrolla is really just transport. Sorry but just no charisma and the one's with the round headlights. Puke city

Merc C180 again is put down for piss poor reliability. My uncle had older Merc's for years, never would drive anything else. But he had so much trouble with his C180 ( like 1200 to replace a faulty ignition switch :eek:) he
    went and bought a Mondeo

3 Head Gaskets???
    There's something seriously wrong there.
    Head gaskets generally go as a result of an overheat caused by radiator failure, etc.

For 3 to go on the one car threre must have been a serious fault somewhere else in the car that was causing this.
    Or else the mechanic was seriously dodgy.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of 3 head gaskets going on the one car before, even a Rover...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of 3 head gaskets going on the one car before, even a Rover...

You never heard of the MGF so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As Top Gear said in the 2001 JD power survey "F for failure"!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote: »
    As Top Gear said in the 2001 JD power survey "F for failure"!

Having said that you can pick up VERY clean ones now for ~€1000-2000 that need a HG. They are actually much cheaper in Ireland than in the UK. All you need to do is put in the modified gaskets, and make a few other reasonably cheap modifications and you have open top motoring for under €3k.

Meh... MG, aren't they just Rovers with an identity crisis.

Well I'd have to disagree about the handling.
    I hammered a MkIV Tdi Golf before and it absolutely stuck to the road.
    I don't think anyone's calling the Tdi an 'animal' the basic TDi gives 90Bhp which is far from exciting but it still gives a respectable amount of power for an every day car.

Nobody's trying to claim that a TDi Golf is an amazing, high performance car.
    It's just a very well made hatchback with plenty of room inside.
    I don't know of any hatchback that I'd view as being superior.
    If I have to get something for commuting It'll be a toss up between a Golf and a Passat.
    The Passat has the advantage of extra space and comfort and
    the Golf has the advantage of better performance and handling.

I have heard people saying the 130bhp TDi golf is an "animal", that's the reason I said it in my post. And the only people I ever hear bragging on about their car are Golf owners. And handling by and large is opinion driven, but there is some hard and fast rules about it and you are wrong about the handling, plain and simple. There is more to handling than road holding.
    For a given year, lets say 2003, a 1.4 3 door civic is a better car in every way than a 1.4 golf. A VW head will never let that be said though, cause they're usually blinded by the VW way of thinking.

What surprises me the most is that people automatically define the "best" car as the most reliable car. Is the best Engineer in the world the one with the best attendance record?

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    There is more to handling than road holding.

Fair enough, I'll say that I was extemely impressed by the Golf's road holding then.

Again, I never said the Golf was the best car, just that it's a very good car. I like the Civic myself but I'd prefer the older models to the 2003+ models.

As well as all the other good points that the Golf has it's also available with a very good diesel engine.
    It's the TDi model that I'd go for and not the 1.4 / 1.6 petrol.

Honda don't make a diesel Civic and that's a major drawback from my point of view.
    If you get into comparing higher end Civics to higher end Golfs I don't think the Civic would come on top either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement