Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best/worst make car in ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

(CH3)2CHOH wrote: »
    Best

Fiat Stilo 3dr
    Renault Espace not the current model
    Alfa GTV

Worst

VW Golf
    Toyota Corolla
    Merc C180

I lol'd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Again, I never said the Golf was the best car,
    I don't know of any hatchback that I'd view as being superior.
    That's how I'd take the above statement...
    I like the Civic myself but I'd prefer the older models to the 2003+ models.

As well as all the other good points that the Golf has it's also available with a very good diesel engine.
    It's the TDi model that I'd go for and not the 1.4 / 1.6 petrol.

Honda don't make a diesel Civic and that's a major drawback from my point of view.
    If you get into comparing higher end Civics to higher end Golfs I don't think the Civic would come on top either.

They make a diesel civic, but Honda Ireland don't import it here. Maybe after July. Also, high end Golf and high end Civic, Mk4 GTi vs Civic Type R, no question which is better in my mind. The R32 isn't worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

There's a huge difference between a car being the best hatchback and being the best car.

Why a GTi Vs a Type-R?
    Why not a R32 Vs a Typr-R?

You can pick up a decent s/hand R32 for €15,000+VRT in the UK.
    Money well spent in my book.

I've never driven a Type-R so I can't say much about them.
    I did drive a V-Tec Civic though, one of those special edition Jordan ones.
    I found it to be overrated and alot slower than I'd expected.
    Especially when you cosider how hard it is to get insured on one.
    The FTO that I owned at the time was way quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Biro wrote: »
    I have heard people saying the 130bhp TDi golf is an "animal", that's the reason I said it in my post. And the only people I ever hear bragging on about their car are Golf owners. And handling by and large is opinion driven, but there is some hard and fast rules about it and you are wrong about the handling, plain and simple. There is more to handling than road holding.
    For a given year, lets say 2003, a 1.4 3 door civic is a better car in every way than a 1.4 golf. A VW head will never let that be said though, cause they're usually blinded by the VW way of thinking.

Erm Biro that is incorrect ("a 1.4 3 door civic is a better car in every way than a 1.4 golf") - that's just your opinion it certainly is not fact

Some may prefer the golf as they believe it looks better, nicer interior etc - one car is not "better" than the other

You can prefer one to the other that is your right of course, just like it is someone else's right to prefer the golf without being called "blinded"....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

prendy wrote: »
    im sorry bot lol at this post...anyone who has ANY fiat in among the best cars loses all respect. and the corolla is always voted one of the top cars in this country.never had a merc so cant comment.
    Its based on peoples own opion.
    but I agree with you there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

furtzy wrote: »
    I've had 5 and never had any oil consumption problems. In fact never had any major problems at all.

Is this your view based on ownership?
    Yep, have bought and sold a few. Ive worked on a hell of a lot of them in the garage too. the petrol ones are the ones that seem to drink a lot of oil and thats a known fact with opels, some of them also suffer from electrical problems and the smaller engines like the 1.2 mk4 astra and the 3 cylinder corsa are somplete sh*te.,

snyper wrote: »
    Many opel cars use fiat engines :p

they only use fiats diesel engines and there a brilliant engine to be honest.,
    To know the worst cars at the moment all you have to do is look at the recall section in one of the trade mags. Fiat and Renault seems to be leading the way.
    recalls mean very little really, a lot of cars have recalls and it just means that they are rectifying something that might go wrong at some point, it doesnt mean the car is anymore unreliable than another once the recall is completed.
    prendy wrote:
    im sorry bot lol at this post...anyone who has ANY fiat in among the best cars loses all respect. and the corolla is always voted one of the top cars in this country.never had a merc so cant comment.

As far as the stilo is concerned it wouldnt be my pick due to the fact that it suffers from some suspention problems and a few electrics problems too but to say that ANY fiat shouldnt be in the top of the list just makes someone look like a noob that probably heard fiats are sh*t from jimmy the bar man who heard from tom the plumer who comes in for a scoop after work.,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Erm Biro that is incorrect ("a 1.4 3 door civic is a better car in every way than a 1.4 golf") - that's just your opinion it certainly is not fact

Some may prefer the golf as they believe it looks better, nicer interior etc - one car is not "better" than the other

You can prefer one to the other that is your right of course, just like it is someone else's right to prefer the golf without being called "blinded"....

well, it depends on how you define "better", without doubt the civic's 1.4 engine is much better than the golfs engine in terms of build quality and reliability. the interior of the civic is better too, the dash is nicely designed with plenty of storage and the gear shift is in a higher position on the dash rather than in the floor like the golf. that alone ment they didnt have to have a tunnel under the car for the linkage and having it flat means its a lot stronger.., the one thing i liked from the golf is the backlit dial cluster though., I have 2 friends that have had the golf and another had the seat leon (same thing really) and I have the 2004 civic since new and it handles very well, better than the golf in my opinion., and then theres "uniqueness," the chances of seeing someone in the exact same car as you if you have an EP civic are pretty low, strangly in 4 years i havent seen one the same as mine. the golf however, every tom dick and harry has them.,:(

There's a huge difference between a car being the best hatchback and being the best car.
    I know what you meant, that's why I used the civic as a comparison.
    Why a GTi Vs a Type-R?
    Why not a R32 Vs a Typr-R?
    You don't know enough about cars for this debate if you need to ask this question.
    You can pick up a decent s/hand R32 for €15,000+VRT in the UK.
    Money well spent in my book.
    There are cars that I'd pick for that price that would have it whipped for handling and performance, however the R32 isn't a bad car. A nice unique alternative, nice sound of the V6.
    I've never driven a Type-R so I can't say much about them.
    I did drive a V-Tec Civic though, one of those special edition Jordan ones.
    I found it to be overrated and alot slower than I'd expected.
    Especially when you cosider how hard it is to get insured on one.
    The FTO that I owned at the time was way quicker.
    Comparing an FTO V6 Mivec to a Jordan Civic is silly, they're in different classes.

I know what you meant, that's why I used the civic as a comparison.
    ???
    You don't know enough about cars for this debate if you need to ask this question.
    Obviously not, please enlighten me.
    I mean they're both hatchbacks aren't they?
    That is what we were comparing.
    There are cars that I'd pick for that price that would have it whipped for handling and performance, however the R32 isn't a bad car. A nice unique alternative, nice sound of the V6.
    I'd probably go for something else myself.
    But, for that price I can't think of any cars of the same year that would beat it.
    Comparing an FTO V6 Mivec to a Jordan Civic is silly, they're in different classes.
    Well that's all I had to go on at the time.
    Ones MIVEC, ones VTec.
    Neither has turbo.
    200Bhp against 160Bhp is a bit unfair I suppose
    but my car was 10 years older so the Bhp would have been quite abit lower.
    Is it that daft a comparison.
    I heard peole going on about how great VTec Civics were for years.
    I was a bit dissappointend when I finally had a go in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A lot of sh!te in this thread, but some sound comments and a gem that should have stayed secret: ;)
    maidhc wrote: »
    Having said that you can pick up VERY clean ones now for ~€1000-2000 that need a HG. They are actually much cheaper in Ireland than in the UK. All you need to do is put in the modified gaskets, and make a few other reasonably cheap modifications and you have open top motoring for under €3k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

(CH3)2CHOH wrote: »
    The standard Corrolla is really just transport. Sorry but just no charisma and the one's with the round headlights. Puke city

Pic please, never seen one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

vtec wrote: »
    Yep, have bought and sold a few. Ive worked on a hell of a lot of them in the garage too. the petrol ones are the ones that seem to drink a lot of oil and thats a known fact with opels, some of them also suffer from electrical problems and the smaller engines like the 1.2 mk4 astra and the 3 cylinder corsa are somplete sh*te.,

Actually have had 6 opels. Forgot about my wee 92 Corsa all those years ago. Four of them were petrol and I never had any oil consumption issues or electrical faults....must be very lucky eh?

???

Obviously not, please enlighten me.
    I mean they're both hatchbacks aren't they?
    That is what we were comparing.

I'd probably go for something else myself.
    But, for that price I can't think of any cars of the same year that would beat it.

Well that's all I had to go on at the time.
    Ones MIVEC, ones VTec.
    Neither has turbo.
    200Bhp against 160Bhp is a bit unfair I suppose
    but my car was 10 years older so the Bhp would have been quite abit lower.
    Is it that daft a comparison.
    I heard peole going on about how great VTec Civics were for years.
    I was a bit dissappointend when I finally had a go in one.

The more I read your posts, the more I realise how little you know, so I don't see the point in trying to educate you any more.

The more I read your posts, the more I realise how little you know, so I don't see the point in trying to educate you any more.

Ok, thanks.

barryfitz wrote: »
    Pic please, never seen one of these.

I prefer the older ones...

red6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Three best:

Honda (excellent reliability, residuals and the vtec engine)
    Toyota (also excellent relaibility and residuals but also the most boring)
    Lexus (made by Toyota but beautiful, although VERY expensive)

Worst:
    Renault (abysmal electrics and nobody will take them as trade ins - brutal things)
    Citroen (as Renault)
    Fiat (just rubbish)

French cars in general are absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

All those surveys in the UK that put citroen & fiat well ahead of Audi in terms of relability & warranty claims must be wrong. (What Car & Warranty Direct to name but two). Because the likes of moomoo2007 says so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ones MIVEC, ones VTec.
    Neither has turbo.
    200Bhp against 160Bhp

Not a proper comparison. 1.6 4G92 should be compared to the 1.6 B16A, ie Mirage Cyborg ZR vs 1.6 Civic VTI/SiR. In reality there is fsck all between them.

The FTO is in between the Integra and Prelude in class, and is quicker than the 2.2 Prelude. In fact the FTO is the reason the DC2 Integra-R exists.

maidhc wrote: »
    Having said that you can pick up VERY clean ones now for ~€1000-2000 that need a HG. They are actually much cheaper in Ireland than in the UK. All you need to do is put in the modified gaskets, and make a few other reasonably cheap modifications and you have open top motoring for under €3k.
    But having said that, would you take the risk? I would be very reluctant.. too risky imho.

groupb wrote: »
    All those surveys in the UK that put citroen & fiat well ahead of Audi in terms of relability & warranty claims must be wrong. (What Car & Warranty Direct to name but two). Because the likes of moomoo2007 says so.

The name says it all, doesn't it? :D
    At least Fiat have racing heritage and history, which is a lot more than can be said about the kitchen appliance manufacturers that are around today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Worst ive ever seen for taking oil was the mid to late 1990's ford fiests, you'd need a gallon of it in the boot at all times.
    In the year I've had my '98 Fiesta, it's only drank... half a litre of oil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Worst ive ever seen for taking oil was the mid to late 1990's ford fiests, you'd need a gallon of it in the boot at all times.
    Most Volkswagens are like this and it's regarded as "normal" according to the main dealers.
    Worst: Renault, by a mile, Volkswagen, simply overrated and Mercedes-Benz, for promoting a dream, selling crap and a bunch of assh*les for dealers.

Best: Subaru, BMW and Honda. If you have to ask why you know nothing about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

junkyard wrote: »
    Most Volkswagens are like this and it's regarded as "normal" according to the main dealers.
    Worst: Renault, by a mile, Volkswagen, simply overrated and Mercedes-Benz, for promoting a dream, selling crap and a bunch of assh*les for dealers.

Best: Subaru, BMW and Honda. If you have to ask why you know nothing about cars.

Im not debating BMW or honda, great cars but Subaru??? I can only presume you own one, great when they work, weak diffs, sh1te gearbox, the subaru engine cant handle all that power for any amount of time and they cost a bomb to fix and run,

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

great cars but Subaru???

I drive a Legacy estate 2.2 for the last year, by far the most reliable car i ever had. We are talking about normal, day to day cars here, not souped up boyracer experiments gone wrong.

Good:

Audi
    Subaru
    Honda
    Some Mazdas
    Older Toyotas (can't beat the old Corolla for reliability, but god it's boring)
    Some BMW's
    Older Mercs (W124, old 190s great cars)
    newer Fords from 2000 onwards

Bad

Opel (no comment, most of there models are just rubbish, except for the old Omega, and they stopped making them)
    Renault
    Older Mitsubishi's
    Fiat

Average

Volkswagen
    Citroen (not as bad as people say they are)
    Volvo (expensive for parts, but very comfy)
    Nissan
    Skoda
    Seat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In the year I've had my '98 Fiesta, it's only drank... half a litre of oil :)

It may have a different engine, or perhaps a zetec engine..

defo the ones i had .. a 1990 and a 97 were fond of it..

Mind you i drove the bollox out of them..

Man.. fond memories.. 6'4 and still managed to have sex in them...

Oh happy days...

Now i drive a caddy van :D

Ah now Biro. Rumor has it that the Vag group are colaberating with Hotpoint. I can see in thirty years from now enthuasists trying to choose between a fiat coupe and an Audi A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The JD power survey would be the best bet for answers me reckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It may have a different engine, or perhaps a zetec engine..
    Nah, it's not the Zetec, it's the crappy old pushrod that some people seem to think is the worst engine ever. It hadn't changed much since the previous fiesta except it was only available as a 1.3.
    Mind you i drove the bollox out of them..
    That might be it so :D

Im not debating BMW or honda, great cars but Subaru???
    The first Jap car my father owned was a Subaru Legacy. He bought 2 more after he ran the first into the ground. The Legacy was the car that made him conclude "you can't bate the Japs", a phrase he used for over 10 years.

OTOH, between 2002 and 2005 my father-in-law spent €7,000 in repairs on his 1996 520i, which he owned from new (sort of.. it was a company car from new till late 2001). When it failed the NCT because the catalytic converter was gone he traded it in against a 2005 Avensis (which he thinks is great) and coined the phrase "me and BMW are FINISHED!". While he hasn't quite got around to saying "you can't bate the Japs", I know he thinks it.

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    The JD power survey would be the best bet for answers me reckons.

The JD power survey is a customer satisfaction survey ,not a relability survey. The problem with this type of survey is that a lot of peple won't admit to buying a bad car because its seen as their decision. A large propotion of JD power is also about dealer performance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement