Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT re-test question?

• 14-01-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Im putting my car through an NCT next week and im not sure if it will pass on
    the tyre thred depth.

I was wondering do i have to pay for a re-test if the car only fails on tyres
    or is it classed as a visual inspection which would be free?

Does anyone know or had experienced this?

Thanks for your time.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

failing on tyres is just visual and is free

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

given that mickjohnlong has provided the answer, may I ask why your concern lies with passing the NCT and not the fact that your car may not stop in time, especially given the recent weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Well my friend is a mechanic and he told me the two front tyres "should" pass but the rear two are "on the limit".

I just dont want to get four tyres on a car when i may not need to get them.
    The cheapest tyres cost 100euro each so its nice to know i can put it through the test knowing its free to retest if an expert says they are not road worthy.

Thank you for your concern though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

I just dont want to get four tyres on a car when i may not need to get them.
    The cheapest tyres cost 100euro each so its nice to know i can put it through the test knowing its free to retest if an expert says they are not road worthy.

Thank you for your concern though. :rolleyes:

hopefully there isn't many people on the road with that attitude !!

What attitude?
    Im putting my car through an NCT ahead of its expiry date and would like to get full use of my tyres before i spend 400 euro on new ones. Obviosly if they fail they will be replaced.. Whats the problem??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The problem is that while your 'should pass' and 'on the limit' tyres may be legal, they sure as hell are not safe!

If they do pass, when do you plan to replace them?

If you are getting two tyres only, remember to put them on the read wheels.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The legal limit for tread depth is a joke, at the legal limit of 1.6mm your tyres are practically useless in rain. ...

Seconded 100%, 1.6 is nearly useless, given the weather conditions we have in this country. 2mm should be the min at least. Its only when somebody tries to stop it becomes an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

My MX5 passed the NCT with rear tyres that were on the limit.I still changed them after it because if there was a trace of dampness on the road the rear would try to swap ends with the front.Your tyres ARE the most important part of your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

This is typical of the Irish attitude to safety; will I get away with it?

Not; if the worst happens (and it happens every day) will I be prepared enough to survive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Change the tyres and be done with it. It may save your life and the lives of innocent others.

• Advertisement

Well the car did pass without changing any of the tyres.
    I will be selling the car soon enough so didnt fancy buying new tyres when they are not needed.
    If i was to take advice on this thread i'd have to change tyres every 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Is the thing that is on tyres for checking them 1.6mm?
    You know the bit of rubber sitting up and when the rest of the tyre meets it then its time to change, or a bit before it to be on the safe side.

And also, what is the average milage you get out of a tyre? Last time i swapped the front to the back, as the front ones wear a lot quicker. This seems to be balancing things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Well the car did pass without changing any of the tyres.
    I will be selling the car soon enough so didnt fancy buying new tyres when they are not needed.
    If i was to take advice on this thread i'd have to change tyres every 3 months.
    Not needed? As long as you're happy......:confused:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement