Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

9-3, 1.9 TDI or 2.0T?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Same money (15k ish post import), same mileage (40ish), diesel a year younger @ 2004. Both Approved used.
    Petrol one trim better, and far nicer looker. But I keep thinking resale value. I don't do huge mileage. And a single man with golf clubs.

Not withstanding the diesel appears to be 159 on the CO2, and would mean waiting until July.

@ unkel - that one I was going looking at was both clocked and damaged in the opinion of my mechanic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I've driven the 2.0 T and that engine is a hoot ..certainly not lacking in power

Personaly i'd go with the higher spec petrol (as I do low milage) though come resale the diesel will be worth more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The motor tax changes only apply to anything registered after July 08, so it is of no effect to you uberwolf.

You might as well go for the petrol while it makes sense to do so, these 6 months are the last chance saloon for anyone who is a diehard petrol fan really.

Also, a pre July 08 petrol in a car like the 9-3 is going to be worth more than a post July 08 petrol, and vice versa for the diesel, in a few years time when there will be a decent supply of the lower tax diesels no-one will want a diesel that could be costing them €300 more to tax every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

E92 wrote: »
    The motor tax changes only apply to anything registered after July 08, so it is of no effect to you uberwolf.

You might as well go for the petrol while it makes sense to do so, these 6 months are the last chance saloon for anyone who is a diehard petrol fan really.

Also, a pre July 08 petrol in a car like the 9-3 is going to be worth more than a post July 08 petrol, and vice versa for the diesel, in a few years time when there will be a decent supply of the lower tax diesels no-one will want a diesel that could be costing them €300 more to tax every year.

What I meant by my post (and it only occurred to me as I hit submit) was that I would wait until July to buy the diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

As a 2.0t driver - What E92 said.

However, the 2.0t does like to drink, but you've a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.9 TiD engine is the same Multi-jet diesel engine made by Fiat and found in Alfa Romeos and Opels too This is an excellent unit and acclaimed to be one of the best on the market. The 9-3 uses the 120/150bhp versions afaik so there is plently of power and excellent fuel economy. This would be my choice.

So it really boils down to whether you want a petrol or diesel. Best thing to do is drive both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement