Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc in Computing in Information Technology

Options
  • 14-01-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I'm doing my Leaving Cert now and I'm thinking of doing IT in the WIT next year.
    Does anyone on here do IT? If so whats the course like and would you reccomend it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If the above course is the BSc Commerical Computing with its new name, then I cant comment. The old course was ****e, and I dont think the new course title offers much changes. Could be wrong tho.

Other IT Courses include BSc Applied Computing and BSc Computer Forensics. Both are very good courses. The Applied Computing course you can do a stream/year in Forensics if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Sully wrote: »
    If the above course is the BSc Commerical Computing with its new name, then I cant comment. The old course was ****e,
    In what way...heres a link to the course..
    http://www2.wit.ie/StudyatWIT/UndergraduateCourses/Science/BScinComputinginInformationTechnology-WD155/

is it not well recognised or what?

Other IT Courses include BSc Applied Computing and BSc Computer Forensics. Both are very good courses. The Applied Computing course you can do a stream/year in Forensics if you wish.
    I'd imagine the forensics would be boring??, but I just don't know anything about it...
    Is it true that Applied Computing involves a high level of maths? I'm only doing ordinary level but I'll probably get a B1...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

blue-army wrote: »
    In what way...heres a link to the course..
    http://www2.wit.ie/StudyatWIT/UndergraduateCourses/Science/BScinComputinginInformationTechnology-WD155/

is it not well recognised or what?

Iv never sat the course, but from comments received from people who did - its just a mess. People found the course not to be of use. Some people like it, cyberwit is an example of a chap who will defend the course. Others speak out against it.
    I'd imagine the forensics would be boring??, but I just don't know anything about it...

Nah its a pretty interesting stream and those sitting the course seem to like it. Its the first year stand alone.
    Is it true that Applied Computing involves a high level of maths? I'm only doing ordinary level but I'll probably get a B1...

Yes, and it boils down to the lecturers. I personally think iv had a bad batch, and iv had to repeat it a lot. New lecturer in one of the maths subjects this semester so im confident I did much better. Found it all a lot better and easier to understand.

Year 1:-
    Complex Numbers
    Functions
    Differentiation
    Integration

(More stuff, which I cant recall)

Year 2:-
    Vectors, Partial Differentiation.
    Probability & Stats

There is also a bit of Physics (leaving cert stuff tho, but if you don't like Physics its not the easiest) and Digital Electronics (pretty tough).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

The new name for Commercial computing is Systems Software Development. Thats the course that I am doing atm. I have say ,so far it has been relatively slow, but then again it is only the first semester plus I am a lazy ****er so the speed is grand with me. There is one of the guys that had already had a decent background in computing, He had created 2 commercial websites so he was quite well up on that, he is finding it a bit boring , simply because it is quite easy for him.

The new name for Commercial computing is Systems Software Development. Thats the course that I am doing atm. I have say ,so far it has been relatively slow, but then again it is only the first semester plus I am a lazy ****er so the speed is grand with me. There is one of the guys that had already had a decent background in computing, He had created 2 commercial websites so he was quite well up on that, he is finding it a bit boring , simply because it is quite easy for him.

That was one of the issues people had with the old course. It didnt do much for anyone in comparsment with the other courses!

• Advertisement

Year 1:-
    Complex Numbers
    Functions
    Differentiation
    Integration

(More stuff, which I cant recall)

Year 2:-
    Vectors, Partial Differentiation.
    Probability & Stats

There is also a bit of Physics (leaving cert stuff tho, but if you don't like Physics its not the easiest) and Digital Electronics (pretty tough).
    Is the standard of Maths required much higher than ord. level leaving cert? I'm ok with those topics...differentiation is a bit tricky though...
    Also, I don't do Physics so would I have much to catch up on? , or do the lecturers presume that nobody has studied it and teach topics from scratch?

By the way, who are the lecturers on the course...My neighbour is one afaik...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

All topics in first year are started from scratch....One of the lecturers said to us that the main focus of first year is to try and get everybody to the same place....

I think the maths standard is probably just a bit above higher level...But first year won't be impossible....Sully can give you a better idea about the standard

ec18 wrote: »
    All topics in first year are started from scratch....One of the lecturers said to us that the main focus of first year is to try and get everybody to the same place....

There not the best (depending on lecturer) towards people who are weak at Maths. At least, thats what I found. You know yourself, in your own course the same has been said about some of the Maths lecturers (who teach in my course). Hence why the level of Maths comin in (Maths grade) is high. I got in by the skin of my teeth, and found Maths pretty tough.

The physics lecturer is grand towards people who are new, but the Maths (same in both semesters of first year, the last two years at least) lecturer isnt. Its not to bad in first year, but its poor in the first semester of second year (tho, the new lecturer we had when I repeated was a lot better). Its hard to stick the subject when your falling behind, so if you find it tough - get grinds. Attend classes - its tough when the subject is hard, but if your falling behind and dont show up its going to get a lot worse.
    I think the maths standard is probably just a bit above higher level...But first year won't be impossible....Sully can give you a better idea about the standard

Its Applied Calculs afaik. In the Leaving Cert you have the option of moving up (in some cases) to a higher level of Hons. Thats whats covered. First year isnt to bad, but semester one of second year is tough. Prob & Stats is grand. :)

How are these physics and maths parts actually worked into computing anyway?

I think I'll pick the Applied Computing course...By the way what are the class sizes like and how many hours per week is the course?

Well for SSD class is only 9 people at the start of semester 2 ( was 12 , but people dropped ) . We have 24 hours in a week.

• Advertisement

blue-army wrote: »
    How are these physics and maths parts actually worked into computing anyway?

Not sure what your asking?
    I think I'll pick the Applied Computing course...By the way what are the class sizes like and how many hours per week is the course?

The App. Comp is 9-5 pretty much. Friday depends, we managed to sort it out so that Friday was off or short hours (few hours in the AM).

Not sure what your asking?
    How are Complex Numbers, Functions, Differentiation, Integration etc. worked into computing...ie what problems can be solved with them...?

I always asked that question, and I think it depends what level of IT you go into. I think its more to prepare you for dealing with engineers in the hardware side of things (if you start working with Intel for example) - at least it is for Physics & Electronics.

I have yet to come across Maths in IT, but I suppose I dont go to the "nity gritty" aspects of building hardware etc.

Matrices and the like are used alot in programming , epecially in 3D gaming etc.

Advertisement