Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shower on mcb

• 14-01-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

just noticed at the weekend that the electric shower in my girlfriends house is on a 32 amp mcb protected by an rcd. i know it should be on its own seperate rcbo but is it safe to do it this way. i think it was just a way for the contractor to cut costs when wiring the house. the house next door is done the same so i'm assuming the whole estate is the same. the estate is only about 7 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

depends on the load of the shower and the RCD, it could have been ok with a 63mA RCD

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd put it on it's own 32A RCBO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Stoner
    depends on the load of the shower and the RCD, it could have been ok with a 63mA RCD
    Because the MCB for the shower is 32 A we can assume that it is the instantinous type and is therefore in the region of 8.5-9.5 kW.

It has been a regulation for a number of years (more than seven I think but I am open to correction), that a shower must be on its own RCD. I think the reason for this was to reduce the chance of nuisance tripping, not for safety reasons.

Mr Magnolia

So would I, but use a B type. For some reason electrical wholesalers tend to give a C type which may be an issue if your cable rrun to the shower is long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree, up to 2000 it was ok to have the shower on an MCB and sharing the 63mA RCD. It is likely IMO that when this was wired that the contractor was working within the regs and this was considered safe along with the whole estate, it's what happens between then and now that is the issue IMO

Options now are as we know an RCBO or a seperate MCB and a dedicated RCD, as advised the RCBO is the way to go.

However it does still depend on the shower, who knows what shower unit your friend has unless you tell us. For example people will hook the pump from a mixer shower up to a 40 Amp supply without down sizing the switchgear.

If you want the safest advice, you could investigate it a little further (type of shower) and our advice would be more accurate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

If you want the safest advice, you could investigate it a little further (type of shower) and our advice would be more accurate.
    Yes you are correct.

When I said this:
    Because the MCB for the shower is 32 A we can assume that it is the instantinous type and is therefore in the region of 8.5-9.5 kW.
    I ment that I am assuming that it is this type of shower, however as Stoner pointed out it may not be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement