Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Check car history for free

• 15-01-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

Is there anyway you can check a cars history for free. i.e. if it has been written off, finance check or periods when the tax was out of date.

I know cartel.ie and motor check.ie offer this service but is there a way of finding out through the Department of transport or motor tax office etc????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

why would cartell charge you if it was free elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

because they are a business duh. "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king" ever heard that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

c1979 wrote: »
    because they are a business duh. "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king" ever heard that one?

They wouldnt be in busines long if they were charging for information freely available elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Stekelly wrote: »
    They wouldnt be in busines long if they were charging for information freely available elsewhere.
    Tell that to the people at 11811.;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...periods when the tax was out of date.
    Whats the benefit of knowing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Anan1 wrote: »
    Tell that to the people at 11811.;)

Excellent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Surely if this info is available to Cartell ect it is also available to you and i???
    I guess its just a matter of doing some digging.
    Cartell ect exist to save you and i the time it takes to do this digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 adshialda

Hi ! Just wondering did you find anyway of checking car history for free? I just want to make sure the car hasn't been clocked.
    Liked your quote "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

A friend of mine bought a Car in Northern Ireland and took it into the PSNI station and asked them to run the plate number and everything came back fine. It was free too, I'd say they can check if the car was stolen, or was involved in Criminality. Probably no good for outstanding finance or clocking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

If you know any Guards they can do it. I got my friend who works in the Garda station to run the plate on mine before I bought it. Can't tell you about clocking but if it was ever in a reported accident it will be on record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

That Merlin site gave out free information for a while. Not anymore though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

kbannon wrote: »
    Whats the benefit of knowing this?

Could be an indication the car was garaged or otherwise off the road for a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 adshialda

Thanks for that but it was the clocking I was concerned about.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

adshialda wrote: »
    Thanks for that but it was the clocking I was concerned about.:o

Theres no agency in Ireland that keeps an official record of this , not even cartell . Its different in the UK though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

NCTS keep the mileage at each test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Barr wrote: »
    Theres no agency in Ireland that keeps an official record of this , not even cartell . Its different in the UK though
    Yeah,we're a bit backwards here,the NCT cert sort of keeps tabs of the mileage,but my aoul corsa from back in the day had the clocks changed due to a dead fuel gauge and no one ever said a thing at the NCT centre that the mileage went back 30k!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bond-007 wrote: »
    NCTS keep the mileage at each test.
    They keep it to themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 meandmypalimmy

i work in Quinn and in the Uk we have this thing called a gold check, which is basically cartell, tells you everything about the car, model make original colour, if it has been changed or written off how many owners etc, and this thing called a mid check which tells you who the car is insured by, and also a DVLA check to tell you who the car belongs to, their phone number and address!

much handier than here, where you have to actually hunt down information like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Slightly off-topic ... any way of finding out who a car is currently registered to ? Free or otherwise ? I have a (legitimate) car that I need duplicate paperwork for, but can't get it transferred into my name as I don't know the previous registered owner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's like motorcheck and cartell do all the legwork and you pay the admin fee for their trouble. Freedom of info act me arse :mad:. Unless your a member of the force. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i see on uk telly thats there's a texting info service for cars.......be a good business idea to start one over here would'nt it:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

fryup wrote: »
    i see on uk telly thats there's a texting info service for cars.......be a good business idea to start one over here would'nt it:cool:

You mean like this?
    http://www.motorcheck.ie/TextReport/index.aspx :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lemon Checker

Is there anyway you can check a cars history for free. i.e. if it has been written off, finance check or periods when the tax was out of date.

I know cartel.ie and motor check.ie offer this service but is there a way of finding out through the Department of transport or motor tax office etc????

You can get a free car check from Motorcheck on any car listed on FordSelect.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

lifer_sean wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic ... any way of finding out who a car is currently registered to ? Free or otherwise ? I have a (legitimate) car that I need duplicate paperwork for, but can't get it transferred into my name as I don't know the previous registered owner ?

So you bought a car without the cert, don't even know who you bought it from and you want to look up the previous/current owner?

You from Limerick? Sure thing hehe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

mick.fr wrote: »
    So you bought a car without the cert, don't even know who you bought it from and you want to look up the previous/current owner?

You from Limerick? Sure thing hehe :D

Yea right Mick, whatever.

Car was bought direct from a leasing company. Was in their client's name not in their name, and they would not disclose the client's name. Anyway problem sorted now, car sold to very happy customer, and it left good profit behind for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

......and it left good profit behind for me.

A rare thing these days, to be sure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Yea right Mick, whatever.

Car was bought direct from a leasing company. Was in their client's name not in their name, and they would not disclose the client's name. Anyway problem sorted now, car sold to very happy customer, and it left good profit behind for me.

Ok how come you buy a car without the ownership certificate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Surely if this info is available to Cartell ect it is also available to you and i???
    I guess its just a matter of doing some digging.
    Cartell ect exist to save you and i the time it takes to do this digging.
    thats very true, but do they pay a fee to get this information?? interesting thought though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Having had a quick look around the motorcheck.ie site, they use data from the INMR to verify odometer readings. Any member of INMR can check readings for free, So if anybody is a member.. I'd be very curious to see mine! You need to submit a minimum of 500 readings to become a member.

I don't know why they can't release the NCT data in some form however to the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Data protection issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Finmix

There is a new free Car History Check called MyWheels.ie
    100% Free!

Ireland's only free automobile history check http://www.MyWheels.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Finmix wrote: »
    There is a new free Car History Check called MyWheels.ie
    100% Free!

Ireland's only free automobile history check http://www.MyWheels.ie