Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clinical Training

• 15-01-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

My friends daughter was referred to a psychologist. She recently received an appointment in the post and it was signed "John Smith* Psychologist in Clinical Training." Underneath it had "under the supervision of John Byrne*."
    She is worried now that she will be seen by somebody not properly qualified, can anyone tell me exactly what this means? The second guy had all the usual letters after his name but there was nothing after the name of the first guy.

*Not the real names.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm sure some of the clinical psychologists that post on here will be able to tell you exactly the deal but I'm sure it must be someone currently completely their Clinical doctorate programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

This is pretty standard procedure in clinical psychology practice.

Perhaps one could use the analogy of attending a medical consultant's clinic. Often, you might be seen by a junior doctor, or an intern who has a lot of knowledge and some experience and is near the start of their career.

In psychology, the only people who are described as "psychologists in clinical training" are individuals who are studying for their doctorate in clinical psychology and have already obtained at least one degree in psychology, and have often also obtained a masters or even a PhD.

These psychologists in clinical training will almost certainly be there as part of their training to become independent clinical psychologists. Currently, this process is carried out jointly by several of the universities in conjunction with the HSE. A senior, experienced clinician will act as a supervisor for the psychologist in clinical training and will monitor, advise, assist and generally ensure that the person attending the service receives a high standard of care. The attention to detail is usually very good and psychologists in training already tend to be very skilled before they start the training programme.

If your friend has concerns, he/she should bring them up with the psychologist, or request a meeting with both psychologist in clinical training and his/her supervisor to discuss them. i would be fairly confident however that your friend is in good hands. Very few people manage to get on a clinical training course and they tend to be skilled and knowledgable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Thanks Gibs, I'll pass this on.

Advertisement