Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs fighting.

Options
  • 15-01-2008 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

I'd really appreciate any advice on this,
    My parents 3 small dogs, a 12 yr old, a 7yr old and a 2 yr old.

They are all jack russell mix breeds, mongrels if you will :p

The oldest and youngest have begun fighting, it started 6months ago, only when there is no one at home, which does not happen often.

We bought a second bed and the youngest guy sleeps in that and hat seemed to solve the problem.
    But yesterday while my parents where out for dinner they fought again, and the fights seem to be getting worse.
    We don't want to have to re-home any of them but we need to find a way to stop the fighting before one of them gets hurt or worse.

The middle dog is the smallest and doesn't seem to get involved at all. My dad thinks the youngest is fighting to assume dominance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because we love them and would dearly love to keep all three but the youngest may have to go because we can't see them hurt each other.

They are never aggressive to each other when we are around we've seen no hint of trouble.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I think your dad might be right it does sound like a dominence issue. Have they been neutered? This generally curbs dominence issues but often not.

A suggestion might be to keep them in seperate rooms when they are alone? That way they cannot harm each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Cheers for the quick reply.
    No they have not been neutered, I was thinking along these lines too.

They are so gentle the rest to the time, we want to nip this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I know its frustrating, espically as they are so docile most of the time but a bit of patience is all that is needed maybe.

As the middle dog is the smallest he is probably staying out of it as he knows he will never be "top dog". However the youngest probably sees this as his time to become head of the pack, esp as the 12year old is getting on a little.

I would say it might be a bit too stressful to neuter the 12 year old at this stage of his life but it might help to neuter the 2 year old if there is no chance of him being bred? Seperating them might help in the short term but until they assert dominence over each other and know their place in the pack, the fighting may continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I would think the middle dog IS top dog and that's why he has no need to fight. Dominant dogs hardly every fight, there's no need, their dominance is assured through body language and attitude.
    Getting a 12 year old dog neutered won't do him a bit of harm if he is healthy. It's a short time under anaesthetic and the recovery time is rapid, and where there are three intact dogs it makes a lot of sense. I don't know what the reluctance is in this country to getting dogs neutered or spayed. In my opinion ALL intact dogs-except exceptional examples of breeding stock- should be neutered. If people took the time to neuter their animals our pounds would not be over run with abandoned and unwanted dogs.
    OP, I'm sorry, that seems preachy. But it is not aimed just at you. Yes, neutering will help. Especially if the fights are growing more frequent. It won't make the dogs fat or lazy or alter their personalities in a massive way, but the lowering of testosterone will decrease the likely hood of aggressive face offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Thanks for the replies guys, but fatmammycat I can tell you that the middle guy is not top dog, he is the smallest and most demure of the three.

I've only see female dogs neutered and I can tell you that they all got fat.....well their bodies looked like barrels afterwards.

We wouldn't put the old guy through it, he's had an operation on both his rear hips a few years ago which took a lot out of him. The younger guy I would be happy to neuter if I thought it would fix this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yes get him neutered - nothing to do with " dominance " he is full of hormones and doesn't know what to do with himself - also just like people dogs can clash.

Neutering DOES reduce a dogs metabolism yes but does not cause a dog to be fat !!! that'll be the lack of exercise and the over-feeding.
    If people just bear the metabolism issue in mind and keep the food to healthy recommended levels and walked the dog as normal it shouldn't have any effect.

One of my girls is fatty coz she's on epilepsy tablets but all my other dogs have been done and have stayed the exact same weight for years !

Advertisement