Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap Imports Now = Good After 07/08

Options
  • 15-01-2008 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

What will happen to the second-hand Jap car market after july 08?
    There is a huge demand for performance jap cars now, so i cant see that changing after July. Will prices level off or possible increase as there is no more of them coming into the country?
    Will Importers start bringing in a large amounts of them before July and registrar them?

Also, is the emissions tests carried out during the NCT not a method of dictating tax bands?

(i'm referring to pre 2001 cars like Integra's, Skylines, Supra's, MR2's etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There is a good market in this country for cars like this because they typically are very high powered but small engined. This suits our current tax/vrt system.

In July high CO2=high tax/vrt. High power petrol engine = lots of CO2.

So, expect the Jap import market to dry up pretty much. Diesel will be the new king, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

colm_mcm wrote: »

Cheers, i done a search in motors, forgot about searching in mod motors.

But i'm just wondering what will happen to the second-hand market? i.e. people selling their registered imports in a year or two? I know it would only be speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I doubt anything but very high performance stuff will be imported when the new system comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Senna wrote: »
    Cheers, i done a search in motors, forgot about searching in mod motors.

But i'm just wondering what will happen to the second-hand market? i.e. people selling their registered imports in a year or two? I know it would only be speculation.
    Any car registered before July 2008 will be on the existing road tax system of charges (c.c. based) into the future.

Imports from July 2008 on will have VRT and road tax based on CO2 emissions figure.

So, high-powered imports will cost more to import and to tax.

Reading between the lines, pre-July high-power cars should sell well due to 'lower' road tax.

I'm talking petrol here before any diesel-heads start!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

In the grand scheme of things, the only real drawback is the €2k a year tax. The cost of the car going from 30% VRT to 36% VRT mightn't make all that much difference after the demand goes down and the OMSP goes down with it. And if you can afford to fuel an R34 GTR then you can afford 2k a year tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I can see Honda civic/integras prices going up above the extortion some of them go for now,Vti's/type rs 1.6 and 18's in the tegs will be in the €1000 tax bracket + higher vrt,there prices are bound to rise.

But in the same sense theres higher powered turbo cars falling in the same bracket as the above ones so i reckon there may be an influx of these

Advertisement