Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it possible to hold 2 insurance policies?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Does anyone know if you can take out a second insurance policy with another company for example,my dad has a policy with axa on his own car, would it be possible for him to take out another policy with Hibernian on a car I bought cause I only have a provisional my own policy would cost 3200 while if I'm a named driver on my fathers policy it would cost me 1300 for my own car.anyone know anything about it?is it legal to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can have as many as you like, but th eNCB can only be used once.

What NCB did you put in for the 2nd policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

johnjoesim wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can take out a second insurance policy with another company for example,my dad has a policy with axa on his own car, would it be possible for him to take out another policy with Hibernian on a car I bought cause I only have a provisional my own policy would cost 3200 while if I'm a named driver on my fathers policy it would cost me 1300 for my own car.anyone know anything about it?is it legal to do it?

Anybody can have 2 policies or more. Although in most cases he will have to start on a zero bonus with the second policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ya u can hold 2 at the same time no prob in ins co taking ur money.

1 small thing to watch for the named driver though. Ask if the named driver will get a ncb- no claims bonus after 12 months. Your dad will but some companies dont pass the ncb onto the named driver after 12 months.

Shop around and ask

Out of interest I got a quote with hibernian for my mother with 0 ncb on a 1.2 clio with me as a named driver (im 25 wih a full licence) and it was €1500 ish so I assume the quote the OP got was with a ncb for his father, so is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

So what you're saying is that hibernian wont take his no claims bonus with axa into account for the policy i take with them?does anyone know if any other insurance company will?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I have two policies with the same insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

NBar wrote: »
    I have two policies with the same insurance company

Did they take your no claims bonus into account on your second policy?

So what you're saying is that hibernian wont take his no claims bonus with axa into account for the policy i take with them?does anyone know if any other insurance company will?

Not if he's using it on another car already, no company would.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Did they take your no claims bonus into account on your second policy?

Because one of my cars in in the high end of insurance they gave me a few years ncb because the second car would be used more as a runabout

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yes my dad has a 5 year NCB on his taxi and a 4 year NCB on his van.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    yes my dad has a 5 year NCB on his taxi and a 4 year NCB on his van.

Its very clear cut situation. You cannot use the same NCB on 2 cars/vans/taxi's etc. You CAN start fresh on as many cars as you like and build up seperate NCB's.

Using your dad as an example and assuming he still has the Taxi and van on the road. he cant then go and get a 3rd wehicle and use one of the NCB to get a discount on a new insurance policy on the 3rd car. He'd have to start on the 3rd car with no NCB and work up a 3rd one.

The exceptons being reduced mileage policies AFAIK or classic insurance that require a normally insured vehicle as well. Inthe first case a particular company might give a discount for say a weekend car, but that wont equate to having 5 years ncb I wouldnt think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Take the hit and pay the 3200 this year for your insurance, try quinn as well, might be a bit cheaper.

I paid similar money (a little more actually) when I first started driving. Within 14 months I had 1 years NCB and a full license and my insurance is now around 1200-1300 and i'm coming up on 2 years NCB fingers crossed.

There are benefits to having your own policy as your NCB will build up and result in cheaper insurance for you down the line. Whereas if you stay as a named driver paying 1300 a year for named driver policies when you come to get your own policy that price will probably end up going higher and you will never want to pay for your own policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

About 7 years ago Hibernian refused to quote me as the owner of two very similar cars. They said they would insure any amount of different vehicles 4x4, van, saloon, sports or multiples of these if I could prove I needed them ie 2 x vans, 3 4x4s 1 saloon.

My gf had just passed her driving test, was about to buy a car, had 0 NCB. She registered the car in her name and in the long run saved money as she built up her NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

they are wise to the named driver idea to a degree but change original policy to the car you wish to be insured on. then let mother or father get new policy on there own car which wont be too dear as they re older

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I have two policies in my own name on different cars with two different insurance companies. However when I was getting the second policy the insurance company were very keen to point out that I couldn't have any named drivers on the policy (which was fine with me). They were willing to take my other no claims into account though so I didn't have to start from scratch on the second policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How about getting the policy priced with you as the main driver and your Dad (or Mom) as the named driver. I named my mother on my policy when getting my first insurance, and the savings meant that I could afford fully comp rather than 3PFT.

Advertisement