Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

living with the opposite sex for 1st time

• 15-01-2008 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

my girlfriend and myself are travelling around the world and this is the first time we have lived with a member of the opposite sex in such close proximity. so i've been finding stuff out about girls which i never knew before (should mention that i only have brother and she only has sisters) like what a pumice stone is, their obsession with candles and the difference between a bobble and an alice band among other things. i think i've taught her some stuff too like putting a glass in the freezer before a match to put your beer in so it'll be nice and cold, what a dutch oven is, the list goes on. but last night she said something which i made me nearly wet myself. she was convinced that us fellas wipe themselves after going for a wee! i told her we just give the old fella a few shakes (not too many or you're classes as playing with yourself) and bobs your uncle! was genuinely shocked though that she thought we do that!
    so i'm just wondering did anyone else have a preconceived notion about the opposite sex which they found to be false after living with their partner????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Ugh.

Say 5 pees per day.

Say 4 drips after each pee.

Most fellas are going around with at least 20 drips of pee on their jocks.

And that ladies is a conservative estimate and not even taking into account number 2s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

I had no idea periods lasted a WEEK :eek: :eek:

Also thought it was when girls were on it that you had to watch out, not the few days beforehand!! :D

The period actually comes as a relief after, crisis time over with hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭langerdan79

blame the parents peared! sure as long as you shower everyday and scrub your mickey then its all good.
    i hear you endasaurus, and the different types of flipping tampons, pads, panty liners, its just too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Hmmm i wipe which funnily enough my wife wasn't expecting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

If its anything like my first time forget about being able to read the newspaper, magazine or anything while she is sitting next to you.. apparently that time is for reflection on how great your relationship is, and she should be showed with hugs and cuddles..?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Endasaurus wrote: »

yeh and we still live!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

so i've been finding stuff out about girls which i never knew before like what a pumice stone is, their obsession with candles and the difference between a bobble and an alice band among other things.

ok I don't know anything about any of that stuff [seriously what is a bobble?]
    i think i've taught her some stuff too like putting a glass in the freezer before a match to put your beer in so it'll be nice and cold, what a dutch oven is,

already knew all that [also got the ice cube shot glasses]

*does quick check* yeah I'm def a girl what gives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Isn't a bobble like a scrunchie? Or is a bobble the little one with the bitson it?

A bobble is a round fuzzy ball thing like on a hat....I think the op is refering to a bobbin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah... just be sure not to reveal what happens to all men on the 237th day of each year. That sh*t's top secret!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

like what a pumice stone is,

i only found that out after moving in with my b/f!
    difference between a bobble and an alice band among other things.

what? what is an alice band? :confused:[/QUOTE]

personally, i've a brother 2 years younger than me, and i've always been a bit of a tomboy and get on well wtih boys, then, wehn i moved out of home, i moved in with two guys, before eventually moving in with my boyfriend, and half the tmie, his son. so i guess there's not been a lot of preconceived notions for me have had.

one thing, was that most guys i know, absolutely loathe strip clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Narco, an alice band is a hair band.

OP - if you guys need instruction manuals for travelling together, maybe you should try a shorter break before the long one? A weekend away or house sitting or something? Also, the things you've mentioned are very specific things that some people do or do not know, not a general rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think that the OP's experiences were given as much as a story, whereas the actual question was not necessarily related to him...
    so i'm just wondering did anyone else have a preconceived notion about the opposite sex which they found to be false after living with their partner????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Yeah... just be sure not to reveal what happens to all men on the 237th day of each year. That sh*t's top secret!

Shut your freakin' mouth monkeyfudge!

Club237's grand overlord will need a word with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I learned men take going in to the bathroom for number 2s very seriously. it takes time and merits the need for a newspaper.

watna wrote: »
    I learned men take going in to the bathroom for number 2s very seriously. it takes time and merits the need for a newspaper.

Thanks to wireless local area networks we can now bring a laptop.

Many a time I've posted on boards while on the toilet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's where the best programming gets done! Epihpany toilets!

I have yet to see my bf programm while on the toilet.

In fairness, I think it's only because he has never thought of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Yeah I thought it was bad that my boyfriend needed a variety of reading materials in our bathroom but then him bringing a laptop in just boggles the mind! I don't get guys highly personal relationship with bathrooms!!

Well with me I usually only go about once every 3 days... so I tend to make an event out of it.

• Advertisement

Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    If its anything like my first time forget about being able to read the newspaper, magazine or anything while she is sitting next to you.. apparently that time is for reflection on how great your relationship is, and she should be showed with hugs and cuddles..?!

Hehe, I've done that but just when I'm in a distracted mood and not focusing on tv or reading, wrecks the OH's head when this coincides with a football match :D

Well with me I usually only go about once every 3 days... so I tend to make an event out of it.

Mr Fudge, You need more fibre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Also thought it was when girls were on it that you had to watch out, not the few days beforehand!! :D

The period actually comes as a relief after, crisis time over with hahahaha

My boyfriend thought that tampax acted like a plug and that when they were taken out there would be a huge flow of blood! He was 20 at the time,:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

My boyfriend thought that tampax acted like a plug and that when they were taken out there would be a huge flow of blood! He was 20 at the time,:rolleyes:

ha ha my ex thought that too!!

There's a lot of things I disliked about living with my ex but 1 was that he took over the girlyness of my room. we broke up and my room never felt like my room anymore ....until I finally painted it myself recently so now it feels more like mine again :)

Oh and I majorly disliked the leaving clothes on the floor sort of thing... I don't get why guys just undo their jeans let them drop and stand out of them leaving them on the floor.... if you're not hanging them up, throw them on the back of the chair!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

. but last night she said something which i made me nearly wet myself. she was convinced that us fellas wipe themselves after going for a wee! i told her we just give the old fella a few shakes (not too many or you're classes as playing with yourself) and bobs your uncle! was genuinely shocked though that she thought we do that!

Erm....I thought they did too!! Well I know some that do anyway at least. Eewwww why don't ye???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Erm....I thought they did too!! Well I know some that do anyway at least. Eewwww why don't ye???

I thought they did too :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Clare Bear wrote: »

It would be a bit pointless! The drips don't adhere much to the outside of the peehole, wiping wouldn't get rid of the drops just inside so a little shake is necessary.

LOL at this thread btw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

1) The necessity of taking a book/magazine/newspaper into the bathroom and disappearing for an hour to do a number 2

2) Men's blindness with regard to finishing things/putting anything away. Guys - the washing up is NOT finished until the dishes have been put away. They do not walk into the presses themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

otwb wrote: »
    1) The necessity of taking a book/magazine/newspaper into the bathroom and disappearing for an hour to do a number 2

2) Men's blindness with regard to finishing things/putting anything away. Guys - the washing up is NOT finished until the dishes have been put away. They do not walk into the presses themselves.

Woah there nelly! I was afraid of this thread going this way. Cleanliness/messiness has NOTHING to do with gender. I can't stand that kind of gender bashing! Everything is specific to the person! Please return to the funny stuff like misconceptions about gushing menstrual cycles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    Woah there nelly! I was afraid of this thread going this way. Cleanliness/messiness has NOTHING to do with gender. I can't stand that kind of gender bashing! Everything is specific to the person! Please return to the funny stuff like misconceptions about gushing menstrual cycles :D

I didnt think girls actually farted till I spent a lot of time with my last gf :p thats not considered gender bashing is it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Apparently going to the toilet, for men, is like an epic battle, which they are happy to openly discuss. Have not come across the laptop in there though. There are a few copies of pc building mags and that in there.

And as for the comment about the washing up not being finished till dishes are put away, i tend to disagree. The washing up portion of the dishes is finshed but the dishes are not done.... if you get me...

I hate washing up cutlery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I didnt think girls actually farted till I spent a lot of time with my last gf :p thats not considered gender bashing is it!

Haha wait til you find out that we actually poop ice cream! ;)

Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    Haha wait til you find out that we actually poop ice cream! ;)

Wow! That makes that two girls one cup video a lot easier to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

gcgirl wrote: »

yeh and we still live!!!!

Never trust something that bleeds for a week and doesn't die ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

cornbb wrote: »
    It would be a bit pointless! The drips don't adhere much to the outside of the peehole, wiping wouldn't get rid of the drops just inside so a little shake is necessary.

LOL at this thread btw :D

But...doesn't the shake transfer some to the outside?

Why don't men shake and then wipe/dab/whatever? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Count how many wiping material options are available at the urinal wall. Zero.
    That said, I dab after a shake when at home.

Tzetze wrote: »

That's why I just take mine over to the hand dryer when I'm finished going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

ztoical wrote: »
    ok I don't know anything about any of that stuff [seriously what is a bobble?]

It's a bobbin or a bobble.
    It comes from Victorian times when women adorned their hair with trinkets.

Also alice band comes from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Alice was frequently drawn with a hair band, known as an Alice Band.

What I didn't know about men before living with one..

1)They take their habits from their mothers.
    With the exception of getting up in the middle of the night on a well jarred evening and pissing in the fresh laundry basket mistaking it for a urinal.

Deep sleep random location pissing. DSRLP, similar to REM.

2)They wash a lot. A hell of a lot more than you expect.

3)They get piles from sitting on the toilet too long.

4)They hoard reading material. Any reading material even if its a flyer from random passerbyers.

5)They sleep more than babies.

6)They can't actually fix things.

Other than that nothing much was a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭langerdan79

another thing i found out recently was what a smear test involved, too much detail!!
    periods, smear tests, childbirth....i thank God i'm a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

cuckoo wrote: »
    But...doesn't the shake transfer some to the outside?

Why don't men shake and then wipe/dab/whatever? :confused:

Shaking is surprisingly effective. Plus we don't have to deal with the myriad of vaginal discharge fluids ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Hmmmm both my exs wiped when at home, I'm assuming they didn't at urinals though.

Cornbb, if a woman has a myriad of discharges she might need to see a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

I've never lived with an SO, but I'm living with 3 male friends at the moment, 1 of whom I share a bathroom with. We tend to keep the stuff we use most frequently on the end of the bath.

My list: 1 shower gel
    1 bottle of shampoo
    1 bottle of conditioner
    Face scrub
    Razor
    1 rubber duckie with a doobie, shades and rasta hat
    1 shower puff

His list: 2 shower gels
    3 or 4 cans of shave gel (these all over the bathroom)
    3 or 4 shampoos
    4 bottles of conditioner, most empty
    Razor
    Funny looking soap.
    2 shower puffs and a sponge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

my girlfriend and myself are travelling around the world and this is the first time we have lived with a member of the opposite sex in such close proximity. so i've been finding stuff out about girls which i never knew before (should mention that i only have brother and she only has sisters) like what a pumice stone is

I couldn't believe about the stone, my gf hurt me with that damn thing dammit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

I hate this being able to fix things MYTH. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Tzetze wrote: »
    That said, I dab after a shake when at home.

Yeah but when you shake it where do all the drops go????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Yeah but when you shake it where do all the drops go????

ahhhh so that's how all the pee splatter marks are on the underside of the toilet seat... and on the floor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Wow! That makes that two girls one cup video a lot easier to take.
    haha, that musta been choc ice cream then :D I cant wait to meet you next time there is a boards shindig on.

ahhhh so that's how all the pee splatter marks are on the underside of the toilet seat... and on the floor..

After living with girls for 2 years I had completely forgotten about this bathroom joy, ick ick ick!!! Why lord why?!!!!

bug wrote: »

How do guys sleep this much? My boyfriend can fall asleep in 0.5 seconds, quite infuriating for a pseudo-insomniac.

Also I never realised the epidemic that is Man-Flu

I'm gona die!!!!!! :rolleyes:

bug wrote: »

I agree with bug and pyjamarama on this one. My bf can fall asleep as soon as the light is turned out, no matter how early it is while I lie there awake worrying about things!

• Advertisement
Advertisement