Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3Mbps connecting at 1.6Mbps - what's up?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Topic says it all really. My 3Mbps Eircom connection has been slow recently and according to the Netopid router is only connected at 1.6Mbps. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and all that but to no avail.

Is this a common problem or is this an isolated case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is that what the router says or the result of a speed test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

ethernet wrote: »
    Is that what the router says or the result of a speed test?

Speed tests are all giving me results in and around the 1450Kbps mark. And torrents simply won't hit above 157k/s. Router confirms a speed of 1664 downstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Well that makes sense. Do you have any idea how far away you are from your exchange? The further you are, the less speed you get with a rate-adaptive technology. You're paying too much for what you're getting. It's worth having a look at your phone wiring to try and get the best speed you can but there isn't really a lot you can do.

I'd suggest downgrading to 2 Mbps unless you really need the higher bandwidth cap or can't stand higher contention.

// edit: enter your line stats from your router into this calculator to see the max speed you can actually achieve on your line

Advertisement