Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don Quixote

Options
  • 15-01-2008 3:02am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On page 300 of approx 950. It is a long book, but dosen't drag... just take time.

Fav.part so far --> Sancho worrying that his first subjects will be black :eek:

Any thoughts on this, without spoliers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭casey212

BossArky wrote: »
    On page 300 of approx 950. It is a long book, but dosen't drag... just take time.

Fav.part so far --> Sancho worrying that his first subjects will be black :eek:

Any thoughts on this, without spoliers?

One of the best books around. A real classic, just compare it to the rubbish written nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grainnetralee

DonQuixote could be an enjoyable book, indeed funny in places, however, when it has to be studied as part of a degree assignment, it's not so funny especially when its the only assignment that you get a 'refer' - ie: fail!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just finished the first book of this. Can't decide if to continue on and go straight into the second book or to leave it aside of a bit and come back to it in a few weeks.

First book is brilliant, but have been told the second book is a lot darker. It's one of those odd books where it takes ages to read a chapter and then all of sudden it clicks and you're reading it voraciously.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Exactly. It drags a lot in places, then suddenly whizzs along for a page or two.

I'm still have it in my "in progress" reads, working on 10 pages here and there between other books. Started in back January so it is now probably the longest book I have ever spent reading timewise.

Spoiler Below:
    It annoys me that the peripheral characters go off on waffley tangents for 50 pages, when what they are discussing has no real resonance for the main storyline. Then, suddenly they stop talking and one paragraph describes something important in terms of what Don Quixote does or what happens to him.

I was in ultra skim reading mode and almost missed the paragraph which sees him transported back to his hometown in the middle of the book. This paragraph covers an important section but would easily be missed if you weren't concentrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I started reading it last month, and I'm almost finished, it's excellent. Much more interesting than I expected. I didn't take a break between the first and second parts, and it was grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Weird. I just picked this up today. I'll probably start it in the next few days.

Advertisement