Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda camera tripod - Templeogue Rd at 6.30am this morning

Options
  • 15-01-2008 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Anyone get caught by this guy? Big yellow hi-vis in fairness he had on but i reckon he got plenty - dirty anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Whereabouts on Templeogue Rd?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nads wrote: »
    Anyone get caught by this guy? Big yellow hi-vis in fairness he had on but i reckon he got plenty - dirty anyway

Why was it dirty? Because you were speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kearnsr wrote: »
    Why was it dirty? Because you were speeding?

*sigh* Bit early for the PC brigade to be up isn't it?
    Maybe he means it's another example of cynical speed trapping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

LOL when you all start with this "PC brigade" sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

But isn't it the early hours of the morning when the majority of accidents occur? Granted, I don't think the Templeogue Rd is the most dangerous road going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is it a camera tripod or simply a speed gun on a tripod?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

nads wrote: »
    Stick it in here http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/mapinput.aspx please if you don't mind :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Speaking of cynical speed trapping... I drove up from Cork to Dublin last week. I saw one speed trap the whole way up. Guess where - on the new stretch of dual carraigeway from Cashel to New Inn! One of the best stretches of road on the journey and 3 cops sitting in some kind of Garda people carrier. Typical to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Drax wrote: »
    Speaking of cynical speed trapping... I drove up from Cork to Dublin last week. I saw one speed trap the whole way up. Guess where - on the new stretch of dual carraigeway from Cashel to New Inn! One of the best stretches of road on the journey and 3 cops sitting in some kind of Garda people carrier.

Says a lot about the Guards' and the Government's "committment" to reducing fatalities, make sure you catch people on roads that are according to the Government between 7.5 and 10 times safer than the roads they are replacing:rolleyes:!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Maybe he means it's another example of cynical speed trapping?

If he wasnt speeding would it matter? I dont give a toss were speed cameras are.
    fletch wrote: »
    But isn't it the early hours of the morning when the majority of accidents occur? Granted, I don't think the Templeogue Rd is the most dangerous road going.

Driving at high speeds is dangerous. Just becasue an accident hasnt happened doenst mean it wont happy. Prevention is better than the cure and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a popular and regular one.
    http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/mapShowLocation.aspx?Id=408

It's not really a "fish in a barrel" trap. On that stretch you have Cheeverstown house on one side - which is housing/centre for the mentally disabled, and on the opposite side you have an entrance into a number of housing estates.
    There have been a number of serious accidents on that stretch of road and one or two pedestrian fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Its amazing how many ethical people we have on boards isnt it? The minute someone posts something in relation to speeding theres a queue of people waiting to saddle up on their high horse ready to look down at anybody who dares question it.FFS give it a rest.

A lot of such threads are not condoning speeding they are just pointing out the annoyances that tend to go more often than not with speed enforcement. Not agreeing neccessarily with the OP in this instance but I think the point had to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I'm with Seamus on this one. There have been several pedestrian fatalities at the crossing outside Cheeverstown House - the RIP crosses are still in the central margin. This was the reason for the 30MPH/50KPH limit.

Speed traps are a regular on that stretch. Its one place where the stats back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Most regulars driving the area know this that on either side of that road there's usually a speedcam and it must be one of the lowest Dual carriageway speed limits - 50 kph- IIRC outside the city centre

But as the other two are pointed out

it's a college for the mentally handicapped

and the limits are very well signposted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

If he wasnt speeding would it matter? I dont give a toss were speed cameras are.
    do you drive?
    speeding doesent kill. stupid driving does. if you go 100mph into a bend and your car cant go around the corner i count that as stupid driving. on a motorway if your car is designed to go 155mph it can do it safely.

Driving at high speeds is dangerous. Just becasue an accident hasnt happened doenst mean it wont happy. Prevention is better than the cure and all that.

not really. if a car / road is built for high speed like most cars / motor ways are it can do it. what about the autobann? are they dangerous? Ive been in a car doing 125mph down a side track in cork. and im still alive... by the sound of things you drive at 30mph all the time because your affraid you might be in a accident, even tho you will prob cause an accident with your slow driving.

* im not saying speeding in a town is right but motorways or duel carrageways is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

Saruman wrote: »
    Is it a camera tripod or simply a speed gun on a tripod?

it was a tomy camera, he was takin a few schnaps after doing his shift.

I wasn't speeding myself but he was on the opposite side where bushy park begins on that road, just think the amount of stoppages around that area(don't have my previous link to a post about that where i was flamed in return) and now speed traps are bordering on my civil rights - there i said it. just put speed limiters on all of our cars... now i drive a 98 Punto! i can't speed but i don't want to be monitored IN - ANY - WAY, that's my point - don't get me started on random breath testing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As cynical as you lads are (brings a tear of joy to my eye, every time) you're missing the point.

The whole reason that the cops are not hitting speeding harder, is because they are told to go where they are best seen, not where accidents happen.

The whole idea (rubbing hands together, gleefully) is to launch the new speed camera network with cameras in max revenue areas. Loads of tickets issued, huge fanfare, well done Bertie, etc., saving us all, blah blah blah.

Hundreds die for no reason other than to let the ticket numbers drop down before being blown out of the sky when the cameras arrive.

Well done to all the Fianna Fáil voters out there. Cheers. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Yes driving at high speeds is dangerous, but doesn't it make more sense to tackle the locations where there are a lot of accidents before going after roads with low accident rates?

Prevention is better than the cure and all that.
    So prevent some accidents by putting the cameras on the roads where the majority of accidents occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Sizzler wrote: »
    Its amazing how many ethical people we have on boards isnt it? The minute someone posts something in relation to speeding theres a queue of people waiting to saddle up on their high horse ready to look down at anybody who dares question it.FFS give it a rest.

Yeah lets all break the law :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

maoleary wrote: »
    As cynical as you lads are (brings a tear of joy to my eye, every time) you're missing the point.

The whole reason that the cops are not hitting speeding harder, is because they are told to go where they are best seen, not where accidents happen.

The whole idea (rubbing hands together, gleefully) is to launch the new speed camera network with cameras in max revenue areas. Loads of tickets issued, huge fanfare, well done Bertie, etc., saving us all, blah blah blah.

Hundreds die for no reason other than to let the ticket numbers drop down before being blown out of the sky when the cameras arrive.

Well done to all the Fianna Fáil voters out there. Cheers. :mad:

Well said

And I agree with Sizzler - don't think many are defending speeding and dangerous driving, just the manner in which the gardai seem to enforce it sometimes

Got subject to random breathtesting the other night and was delighted to see them doing it so at least they're doing some things right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Yes driving at high speeds is dangerous, but doesn't it make more sense to tackle the locations where there are a lot of accidents before going after roads with low accident rates?

So prevent some accidents by putting the cameras on the roads where the majority of accidents occur.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Fair play to him being there, enough tossers speeding in the morning and all it takes is one accident and everybody else's morning is fecked up with traffic delays etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Its not about actually catching people. (well maybe one or two so he can show his boss he was actually doing something when in work)

Having the thousand or so people that passed him see him standing there with the camera is enough to prevent them speeding in the future. (and all the people they will tell that they saw him there)

Plus hes got everybody here talking about it.

And he only started his shift half an hour earlier so he wasnt around the station drinking tea so fair play to him.

Job well done if ya ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

anto-t wrote: »
    Ive been in a car doing 125mph down a side track in cork. and im still alive...
    Ergo, speeding is not dangerous! Fair play to ya. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

DonJose wrote: »
    Yeah lets all break the law :rolleyes:

At what point did I say that :confused:

Advertisement