Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's a high/med/low IQ?

• 15-01-2008 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

So I've just taken one of these (menza approved I'm sure) Facebook IQ tests. I've never done anything like it really since the DATs in school. I was always sh"t when it came to books and school but IQ seems to be a measure of something other than learning ability...?

Anyway, can anyone give me a few ballparks as to what the average is etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Average by definition in these tests is 100 (AFAIK) . But I think when done like nationally on TV etc you get scores like 103-07 or thereabouts. People getting smarter no doubt :p

Edit: Anyone know what the average is with DATS scores and how well DATS correlate with IQ.
    Dunno my exact IQ tbh but always scored ridiculously high on DATS- so just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

<90 = Below average

90-110 = Average

>110 = Above average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Couldn't be that people who would be likely to get lower scores are less likely to do the test?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

>90 = Below average

90-110 = Average

<110 = Above average

So greater than 90 is below average and less than 110 is above average. I wonder which category you're in :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Many of them are in secure facilities whereas those who balance their IQs at the other end of the scale are out in society.

/Edit OP Mensa is the correct spelling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a standardised one internationally AFAIK so you'll get varying ones with varying scales, some out of 150, others out of bigger numbers. Think Mensa use the 150 one so I'd give that the most credit.
    Only times I ever did even on-line ones were the one which scores you by how long you're daft enough to keep answering questions (damn my patience! lol) and the BBC (I think) Test the Nation one a few years back (I got 135/150 if I remember right).

There's still a lot of debate in the scientific community as to how useful and accurate the tests are as there are some individuals who do so well that they cannot be scored apparently (would've thought all right = 150/150 but then maybe that's why I only got 135:rolleyes:).

The top score on the Mensa test isn't 150. I'm a member and exceed that by a decent margin. Their entry criteria is 140 which is supposed to be the line dividing the top 2% from the other 98%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

feylya wrote: »
    So greater than 90 is below average and less than 110 is above average. I wonder which category you're in :o

Damnit, it's early in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I lerned 2 spell using alphabat soup.

dat makes me smart

OP, there are loads of different tests. I'm sure you're not as dumb as a plank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

My craniologist says I'm smart and that's all that matters.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    The top score on the Mensa test isn't 150. I'm a member and exceed that by a decent margin. Their entry criteria is 140 which is supposed to be the line dividing the top 2% from the other 98%.

Which just goes to show that there are a variety of different scoring systems in use for different IQ tests out there, but, regardless of what it's out of, I still say whatever Mensa use I'd have the most faith in, afterall IQ is what they're all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

AH, online IQ tests. Nothing beats them. I've done 3 in my time. One gave me an IQ of 206, one gave me an IQ of 7 and the third gave me an IQ of over 14,000. So I'm assuming that my average IQ is 4678, and I refuse to listen to anyone who says otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Rabies wrote: »
    I lerned 2 spell using alphabat soup.

dat makes me smart

That's nothing, I know a guy who knows a guy who learned to spell using spaghetti-o's!
    OOOooOOOoOoooOoo :D

I got 113 when I was trying to get passed as dyslexic to drop Irish for the LC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Anyone who does a IQ test online will be disappointed with the results.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm good at the pattern/picture/what comes next ones but absolutely crap at questions that start "Suzy is 7 and a half years older than Mark..." Anything maths and I'm lost :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

According to a riddle I solved on teletext when I was 8, my IQ is 140 :p
    So yizzers all tick!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What the hell are DAT's? They something new introduced to schools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

5starpool wrote: »
    What the hell are DAT's? They something new introduced to schools?

Aptitude tests. They've been used in schools for yeeears, oldmanpool.

OP: It doesn't matter. IQ tests are silleh. They're also subjective - a result in one only makes sense to that one (i.e. You'd need to see the resulting data from all tests to work out what's high/avg/low)
    You won't be getting into "Menza" any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If elitist nonsense floats your boat then forget about Mensa and get yourself over to the Mega Society.

You need an IQ of at least 175 to get in there it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Anyone who does a IQ test online will be disappointed with the results.....

agreed. There was one test we were all deciding totake and everyone scored 135. In a class of 15 people that just isn't right. The test was a sham.

How much does a REAL mensa (sp?) test cost to take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

IQ tests are fun and challenging but are a load of nonsense for measuring intelligence. I've gotten various scores between 80 and 200. The more of them you do the better you get at doing them, thats hardly an indicator of intelligence. Mensa etc are for individuals who need their egos stroked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If elitist nonsense floats your boat then forget about Mensa and get yourself over to the Mega Society.

You need an IQ of at least 175 to get in there it seems.

Pfft! I'm founding the Mensa Masons. You'll need an IQ of 190+ to work out the secret handshake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DinosaursAttack

i'm pretty stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Karoma wrote: »
    Pfft! I'm founding the Mensa Masons. You'll need an IQ of 190+ to work out the secret handshake.
    Ha! Luxury! When I were a lad if our IQ weren't 10 point higher every morning, our da would force feed us the collected works of Dostoevsky to the background tunes of Carmina Burana's O Fortuna, and that were luxury!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

I have an emotional iq of 137.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

cornbb wrote: »
    IQ tests are fun and challenging but are a load of nonsense for measuring intelligence. I've gotten various scores between 80 and 200. The more of them you do the better you get at doing them, thats hardly an indicator of intelligence. Mensa etc are for individuals who need their egos stroked.

They give an indication, that's all. The tests you scored 80 and 200 on were hardly properly conducted tests. Internet IQ tests are mostly worthless as they give wildly varying scores. I've scored everything from average to genius aswell.

A properly conducted test given by a psychologist(or other suitably qualified person) will give a good indicator as to overall intelligence. In other words the guy who scores 156 is likely to be a good deal smarter (academically at least) than the guy who gets 96.

They're a rough guide and shouldn't be taken as anything more than that.

OP, the average is 100 by definition, though 90-110 is taken as the general average within the population as the majority of people fall within this range. Once you go above or below these numbers the amount of people falls off exponentially with increasing or decreasing score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

It's been proven that anyone who takes internet iq tests is stupid. FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Didn't George Bush once say that he was very disappointed that half of all Americans had below average IQ?

pfft, wonder which half he was in........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Didn't George Bush once say that he was very disappointed that half of all Americans had below average IQ?

George bush is a genius probably the only really smart American president ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah the dats, 99 in every one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Well that's obvious, the big half.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Well that's obvious, the big half.

Yep... those yanks are pretty stupid.. I bet they don't even understand the concept of fractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

The IQ tests are apparently very class based and not a true test of IQ. Black rights groups always go on about it. I don't quite agree but they are definitely culturally sensitive and can't be trusted to accurately tell you anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

measure your life by achievements and not by IQ scores. I know a lot of intelligent people who have accomplished nothing in their lives for not being able to put their mind to one thing for a sustained period of time. A lot of the smartest people in the world tend to wander in and out of focus, having lives full of few eureka moments and filling the rest with pessimism, cynicism and loneliness.

I joined mensa and found it the biggest load of toss out there.

Found this motivational poster hilarious :D

Mensa Motivational Poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I had an IQ of 150 or something when I was a kid. I was highly intelligent.

I'd imagine it's down to Forrest Gump levels at this stage.

Those tests are really a load of crap and only measure certain aspects of intelligence.

I know several people who were in remedial classes in school, but they are now working in highly paid jobs and are very successful. They did this through determination.
    Me, with my high (albeit childhood reading) IQ, well I am doing fúck all.

• Advertisement

As they put it in Gattaca "There's no gene for fate."
    You can be the most intelligent and creative person ever and yet it still just gives you an advantage, it doesn't guarantee you'll be anything above an amazing failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

From Mensa's Irish web page:
    http://www.mensa.ie
    or email us at administratoratmensadotie.
    Enquiries related to the Website should be sent to webmasteratmensadotie

The geniuses can't even find the . button on a keyboard!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

woooo232 wrote: »

Although they have actually used it in the bit you quote?

Still, at least they have a slightly better website than that mega society crowd. Though it contains some bizarreness:
    What age range do I have to be in to get into Mensa?
    You need to be at least ten and a half years old to do the type of tests that we use.

Ten and a half?! Who came up with that?
    I did the supervised test, and got a result that was high enough to get me into Mensa. Now what?
    If you can remember the testing number....
    "Hi, I got a result of 240 ... but I can't remember my test number"
    I was a member of Mensa in another country. Can I join Irish Mensa?
    Yes, you can. Just contact the above address with details of the national Mensa that you were in and your name and number and they will effect the transfer over
    The above address being that of British Mensa Ltd

Plus their variable exchange rate:
    To book a test "send a fee of EUR16 (STG10)", but
    Membership "at the time of this writing, costs EUR60 (STG45)"

woooo232 wrote:
    http://www.mensa.ie
    or email us at administratoratmensadotie.
    Enquiries related to the Website should be sent to webmasteratmensadotie

The geniuses know how crawlerbots pick up email addresses so they used the word "dot" instead of an actual dot and the word "at" instead of @.

I take it you're not a member then? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Terry wrote: »
    I had an IQ of 150 or something when I was a kid. I was highly intelligent.

I'd imagine it's down to Forrest Gump levels at this stage.

Those tests are really a load of crap and only measure certain aspects of intelligence.

I know several people who were in remedial classes in school, but they are now working in highly paid jobs and are very successful. They did this through determination.
    Me, with my high (albeit childhood reading) IQ, well I am doing fúck all.

You're still a mod on the giving up smoking forum,
    you should be proud of that.

• Advertisement

You're still a mod on the giving up smoking forum,
    you should be proud of that.
    It's my greatest achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭angelsfire

Yep... those yanks are pretty stupid.. I bet they don't even understand the concept of fractions.

You know there are a fair amount of yanks in here and I so happen am one of them. I am also far from stupid! So play nice!:)

angelsfire wrote: »
    You know there are a fair amount of yanks in here and I so happen am one of them. I am also far from stupid! So play nice!:)
    I get the feeling Monkeyfudge was taking the piss.

Terry wrote: »
    I get the feeling Monkeyfudge was taking the piss.

Thank you Terry. I'm glad my subtle defense of US citizens wasn't lost on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

IQ tests get easier the more you complete.

A lot of those websites are just trying to sell you the "Full reading of your Mensa IQ score".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

IQ tests are pointless as the human race is getting dumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

IQ tests are pointless as the human race is getting dumber.

And thus the test themselves get easier?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Internet ones up your IQ so you'll buy the uber super whopper analysis of your brain which tells you everything you ever wanted to know about yourself but were afraid to ask. Mensa have some sort of elegibility test on some mensa site to see if you might be able to join afaik.

And thus the test themselves get easier?

If they must maintain the average as equalling 100 then one can assume that the test must be getting easier.

man mensa is a waste of time anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement