Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download limits - How to monitor

Options
  • 15-01-2008 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

I just got my phone/broadband bill in and it is telling me that i have downloaded 13GB in the last month which is crazy! Not more than 3/4gb was downloaded for sure.

My question is: can i get a piece of free software that can monitor the amount of data downlaoded/uploaded from my PC? I have a feeling that i'm being shafted here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I'm not sure about data monitoring software, have you checked the security of your broadband(if you're using wireless).
    If you happen to use Eircom wireless and didn't change the security to WEP, someone could be piggybacking on your connection.
    Just something to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

How often are you online just browsing sites? Don't forget that just browsing downloads images and the like to your cache to allow faster page loading times next time you visit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

I have the netopia wireless router on WPA-PSK so it should be fairly secure, i have that done now for about 6 months.

I download a bit alright. but i always keep an eye on the limits set out in my broadband package which is 6GB/month download. So this is a bit strange this month.

But mainly i just browse sites, i also clear the cache every week (virus' etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

paulksnn wrote: »
    ... and didn't change the security to WEP, someone could be piggybacking on your connection.
    Just something to think about

The Eircom routers, had an issue with WEP security not WPA, WPA is far more secure, especially if you use a random mix of, Uppercase, Lowercase, numbers and symbols.

It makes it much more difficult to remember the password though, but all you have to do is save it to a text file somewhere and away you go.

Also by default the eircom wireless routers arent setup with a password for the management interface, might be worth setting one up just to be sure.

If your willing to pay for one there is DU Meter, otherwise try googling freeware alternatives to DU Meter and have a look at softpedia.com and download.com, to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Netstat Live will monitor your usage and it's free use it all the time for diagnosing network problems.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement