Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and Accounting in UL

Options
  • 15-01-2008 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi I'm just looking for some advice please.

I did the Leaving last year and took a year out. Now I'm thinking of doing Law and Accounting in UL.

Just wondering does anyone here do it? If so:

What are the hours like?How many per week etc.
    Can you be placed in your home town for the Co-Op thing?
    Do you have assignments as well as end of Semester exams?
    Would I have the aptitude for it getting 500 in the Leaving?
    Is the Accounting equal in work to the Law part?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I did the Leaving last year and took a year out. Now I'm thinking of doing Law and Accounting in UL.

What are the hours like?How many per week etc.
    Is the Accounting equal in work to the Law part?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.:)

Im unsuer if the hours, but I think they are in the region of 20 hours per week.
    You can arrange your own Co-op as is highlighted in another thread.
    Yes you have assignments alongside end of semester exasm.
    College life is completely different than secondary school, and getting a 500 point leaving certificate may mean thant you will have an aptitude for the workload, but you may not be suited to the college lifestyle which is half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 foxayladaykenoa

Yeah I stopped reading that thread on Law and European Studies as it was totally off topic from what I saw.

I actually started Architecture in September and dropped out of it after a month as I realized practical work was definitely not my thing, bit of a shock after Art in Secondary.

Hence I really have to make the right decision with this years course!

I know I would be good at the Accounting/Business side of it, I'm just unsure of my aptitude for Law.

Thanks for the advice though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You may have come to the right place

There's at least one Laccy around here somewhere.

The above are pretty general questions so they don't need someone doing the course to answer.

If you organise your own Co-Op placement you can go wherever you like (including your home town) if you can find a suitable placement. Otherwise the Co-Op office organise interviews for you and you take the first placement you are offered.

Yes you will more than likely have assignments during the semester as well as end of semester exams. The assignments (depending on the module) could contribute to your final grade in the module so it's always advisable to do them.

Yeah you'd probably have the aptitude for it alright but all the aptitude in the world would go to waste if you had no interest in the course which is something to consider.

Hope that's of some help to you.

You see I'm either going to do Accounting in UCC or Law and Accounting in UL. I want to go into Accounting, but I think the Law and Accounting would be a better degree to have behind me. Law does interest me, I don't know how good I would be at remembering dates and that though.

My first two CAO choices are Psychology in UCC then UCD. But the points for UCC were 520 this year and in UCD were 495. I probably have no hope of UCC and am cutting it fine with UCD, it could easily go up!

So this is my back up course that I definitely have the points for as my points for UL are 530 with the extra 30 for a B1 in Hons Maths, and Law and Accounting in UL was 485 this year. And I don't mean back up course as in a course I don't want to do, I mean one I'm guaranteed.

What to do!!

What to do!!

The answer is obvious (at least in my mind). If you want to do Psychology in UCC/UCD then put them down as your 1st/2nd choices that's the idea of the CAO you put your courses down in order of preference.

Go for what you're most interested in. Believe me I know enough people who've gone and done courses and not being the least bit interested in them and wasted a year or more before dropping out and doing something different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yea, put down the courses ya want to do as your first choices. If ya get them grand, but at least have an interest in the other courses ya put down ie. dont just put down courses on the CAO for the sake of filling up a form.

Like rory said, afaik there is one or two laccys here that should be able to provide info but given they're on holidays still...wasters :v:

Yeah they are staying as my number 1+2 but I don't know whether to but Law and Accounting in UL number 3 or Accounting in UCC as I'm guaranteed both!!

Laccys?What's that stand for then?

Laccys?What's that stand for then?

LAW and ACCOUNTING students

Oh right lol now i get it. Jesus maybe I'm not smart enough for Law;)

Thanks for all the info guys! I'd definitely be able to organise my own Co-Op so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bonjour, je m'appelle cson and je do Law & Accouting.

First and foremost, just to say that Law & Accounting is far superior to its little runt brother Law & Euro Studies whose patrons are only doing that course because they didn't get enought points for Law & Accounting. :p

Right, I'll give you a run through the modules;

Business Information Management: Consider my legal system tutor referred to it as "the biggest retard module going" its safe to say it isn't the most revered and prestigious of modules. Basically its Computers for Dummies class, lots of project based work and its very easy. (Although we'll find out just how easy in the next week...results :eek:). Lecturer is dead on, come in late is no bother. Lab hours.....you don't really have to go to them if you've a decent lappy at home and that cuts down the course hours a lot.

Principles Of Accounting: Basically its 5th year Accounting revisited. Its to bring those who haven't done Accounting for leaving cert up to leaving cert-ish standard. If you've done Accounting for the LC theres no point going in for the first 6 weeks unless you want some amusement. The amusement I speak of is the Lecturer. He doesn't mean to be funny but if Jerry Springer lectured Accounting it'd be like this module. Brilliant showman, I found him to be good, others not so good. Oh and do not come in late.

Microeconomics: 90% of the class haven't done Economics for the Leaving Cert so its start from scratch as in the Accounting module. I found this one very interest but it does get very heavy and complicated and some of the stuff can fly over your head. Its kinda important to read a bit for this one if you haven't done it before. Lecturer is grand, the tutes seem to be entirely composed of foreigners and that makes them a bit tricky to understand.

Ok so they're the Accounting side of things, now the fun bit, the law;

Legal System: Possibly the most boring lecture imaginable. Add a large slice of history to the trials and tribulations (I maded a punnnn lollers) of the set-up of the Irish Legal System and mother of jaysus they should bottle it and sell it to insomniacs. The lecturer is a yank and he gives more than a few smiles when he tries to say Irish words like Oireachtas and Taoiseach, but he does expect you to work like a black - About 100-200 pages of reading a week. Not a lot if it were Harry Potter but this is like Harry Potters evil masochistic arch nemesis of a book.

Criminal Law: In theory this should be interesting. Stories like Hymen Vs DPP (Where this ones Husband was tipping some other bitch so she went around to that bitches house and burnt it down with yer one and her kids inside it.... and i may have slightly mispelled her name :eek:). Unfortunately this module is another one for the insomniac cures. Sadly the lecturer lacks the necessary charisma to really make you understand the subject and take an interest in it. That makes it really difficult and it was far and away the hardest exam of the semester.

Contract Law: Without a doubt my favourite module. The lecturer makes it really interesting and the fact that he does the tutes as well himself makes you really work a bit for the module. Really, really interesting.

Other Stuff: Be prepared to spend an absolute fortune on books; here's the breakdown;
    Contract Law €85
    Criminal Law €120
    Legal System €85
    BIM €40
    Accounting €60
    Economics €35

They're the new prices but if you know someone or try the SU you'll get em for a lot cheaper. Bell me up in Sept too and I'll see what I can do for ya if I still have the books.

Course Hours: 12 hours of Lectures - 2 per module
    10 hours of tutes

Lectures, while you don't have to go to every one, try your best. BIM isn't really that important to go to considering you'll have most of the marks gotten for projects. Same goes for the first 6 weeks in Principles of Accounting.

The law tutes are only every second week but you do have to do a bit of work for them and most of the exam is based on tute work. Theres no need to go to the BIM labs if you have a decent lappy at home too. I'd say my average week was ~12 hours including lectures and tutes. Oh and we had Thursdays completely off too :cool:

Overall I like the course. Its not what I thought it'd be - your in huge classes for every lecture and you have to go to the law tutes with those Law & Euro posers (Looks like its not only the civil service the govt are trying to decentralise, a huge proportion of D4s in that course) and the Accounting side of the course you're in with the Business crowd mostly.

Anywho, hope this helped....

I haven't decided on what reward I shall pursue for it..... :p

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Bonjour, je m'appelle cson and je do Law & Accouting.

I haven't decided on what reward I shall pursue for it..... :p

Even though I promised myself this morning (it's a long time ago at this stage) I wouldn't try to drag this thread off topic, I'm insanely bored and need something to do.

cson - you Laccy I knew there was something wrong with you it just took me till now to realise what it was :p

foxaylalaladdyd....meh can't be arsed trying to spell it properly you really should attend one of the UL boards beers. I'm going to come down for the next one and if you're there I want to see do you live up to your name :)

no one take anything I say seriously (not that any of you do anyway) boredom is a terrible thing as you can see.

Behave rory. I can see you scaring away potential 'tang from the next beers ;)

Defo live up to my name!

Cheers that's really helped a lot! I did Economics for the LC and got a B1 in it, loved it so that should be ok. Never did Accounting apart from Trading Profit+Loss + Balance Sheet in the Junior Cert. That will prob be hard for me so!!

Yeah I made the mistake of spending about 500euro on Architecture books in September before realizing I hated the course!

I'll be getting a fairly good laptop during the year, making 420euro a week at the moment so this year out ain't all that bad.

Righty so there's hostility between the Laccys and Euro Posers, Got it. ;)

Thanks very much, if there's any second, third or fourth year students out there your advice would be appreciated. :)

Ah, the Accounting module is basically a really difficult Junior Cert HL question. Understand the fundamentals and be sure to listen when he's "giving out the jewels". That and read a bit about IBM too.

Defo live up to my name!

This I'll have to see....even though I'm no longer in UL this may warrant a special trip down there.
    Righty so there's hostility between the Laccys and Euro Posers, Got it. ;)

Not having done either course I don't know but I'm pretty sure Computer Systems people hated both (or maybe it was just me, I hate everybody...well almost everybody).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Seems to me that Business is the course for you if you have no interest in Law, which is why I chose it over Law and Accounting.

The only thing you need law for in Accounting practice is for tax purposes and if you don't want to work in tax, then the law end is just a useless burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

(Looks like its not only the civil service the govt are trying to decentralise, a huge proportion of D4s in that course)

i dispute that seen as since september iv only met one other dub.....id be prepared to settle for a few d4 heads at this stage
    Defo live up to my name!

until i see pics i dispute that too its always uggernauts that call themselves foxy this and sexc that.

im sure your a wonderfull person though

i would also disagree that doing business instead of l+a is an option not least because of the difference in starting salary when you finish :p although i do neither business is the ul version of orts in ucd (everyone does it and it has an image of being piss easy) while there seems to be quite a bit of work in l+a

cson im assuming your in first year seen as you only described the first year modules(i think)were on campus are you living?

also to the mods,

maybe everyone here could do a cson structured post for their respective courses in one thread and it be made a sticky?(i can do dmd)

There's actually no difference in starting salary for accountants. Almost all practices and the large firms have a set level. BDO SX for example pay a grad salary of approx. €1400 a month irrespective of what degree you have and what level it's at.

On of the senior partners there told us last week that even if there had been a Law and Acc degree in UL when he was starting he wouldn't have done it simply because the law part was of no interest to him, and still isn't, yet he's second in command in head of most operational aspects of the business.

ninty9er wrote: »
    There's actually no difference in starting salary for accountants. Almost all practices and the large firms have a set level. BDO SX for example pay a grad salary of approx. €1400 a month irrespective of what degree you have and what level it's at.

FFS I'm taking in almost €1400 a month on Co-op. I damn well expect to earn a more when I have my degree behind me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Mossin wrote: »
    FFS I'm taking in almost €1400 a month on Co-op. I damn well expect to earn a more when I have my degree behind me!!

i cant speak fr him but i assume he means when your a studebt accountant(term??) workin for a company but still not fully qualified ie you have to do all those gay accountancy exams

i could be wrong obviously but 1400 sounds very low seen as i make more than that in my summer office job

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i cant speak fr him but i assume he means when your a studebt accountant(term??) workin for a company but still not fully qualified ie you have to do all those gay accountancy exams

i could be wrong obviously but 1400 sounds very low seen as i make more than that in my summer office job

I'm making 600 less a month on co-op than during the summer. €1400 is the correct monthy figure for a graduate accountant. They do however cover the cost of all lectures and exams and provide time off for them. So yes it while you still haven't passed "all those gay accountancy exams"

ninty9er wrote: »
    €1400 is the correct monthy figure for a graduate accountant.

Jaysus you shower make **** all. I'm on about 2,200/month net as a graduate and the company will pay to send me on courses etc.

PeakOutput had a good idea aswell about people writing summaries of the 1st year modules of courses. I'd offer to do the Computer Systems one but I'll have to check and see what's changed since I did them way back when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

My god €1400 a month:eek: Im hoping for €2000 - €2300 starting out.

rmacm wrote: »
    Jaysus you shower make **** all. I'm on about 2,200/month net as a graduate and the company will pay to send me on courses etc.

PeakOutput had a good idea aswell about people writing summaries of the 1st year modules of courses. I'd offer to do the Computer Systems one but I'll have to check and see what's changed since I did them way back when.
    Could ask Alan to write ones up :)

I don't want to write one for CS given I'm really not sure whats changed since we did it.

Yea I suppose it's different for different Accounting Firms, who you work for etc. I'd be fairly stung if I was paid 1400euro! Thank God for contacts eh.

What's the story with societies and that? Which should you join to help with the degree? Law and Accounting or Debating or what?

Hmmm the socs, I *think* I joined both the Law soc and the Debating soc. Now I do aspire to go but...... Theres too much other fun stuff to do. Like perfecting my Lynx Flamethrower technique.
    cson - you Laccy I knew there was something wrong with you it just took me till now to realise what it was :p

I only just saw this now, you bollocks. If you ever have the misfortune to meet me, you'll realise theres far more wrong with me than being a Laccy...
    i dispute that seen as since september iv only met one other dub.....id be prepared to settle for a few d4 heads at this stage

You ain't in Lectures and Tutes with Law & Euro types. It's like I-Robot, everyone of them are programmed to be the same, look the same and talk the same. As in "Omg cson, I'm soooooo not a DeeeeFore"

until i see pics i dispute that too its always uggernauts that call themselves foxy this and sexc that.

Yer what he said. Pics or it didn't happen.

cson im assuming your in first year seen as you only described the first year modules(i think)were on campus are you living?

Yep I iz a wee firstie. Currently living in No.23 Killlllmurrrrrraaaaaaaa - Now With Free Frequent Call Ins From Daft Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

Mossin wrote: »

na mossin doesnt work like that with Law if you are in an apprenship as part of you blackhall studies you will be unlikely to be gettin a huge amount of money as you work for a certain length den get study breaks for lectures and exams and then back to work

the same goes i thik for accounting with the big 4 or 8
    you arent on a great wage till you receive all your accounting qualifications... but you get pd study leave coming up to your different exams

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Thats what they get for having a crappy arts degree!

/me has no job with a B.Sc :p

Nutty wrote: »
    na mossin doesnt work like that with Law if you are in an apprenship as part of you blackhall studies you will be unlikely to be gettin a huge amount of money as you work for a certain length den get study breaks for lectures and exams and then back to work

the same goes i thik for accounting with the big 4 or 8
    you arent on a great wage till you receive all your accounting qualifications... but you get pd study leave coming up to your different exams

Ah ok, ya see I'm not doing Law or Accounting.
    Thats why I expect to earn more straight from college. I mean, just over €12/hr will earn you in the region of €2,000 per month. That is not unreasonable, and as Rory pointed out, he is earning €2,200 a month. And if he can earn that well there is hope for us all :p

• Advertisement

Peteee wrote: »
    Thats what they get for having a crappy arts degree!

/me has no job with a B.Sc :p

Indeed it is Pete.
    Get your arse in gear and get a damn job then!

Advertisement