Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and Accounting in UL

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote: »
    Thats what they get for having a crappy arts degree!

/me has no job with a B.Sc :p
    The ironing is dripping from your post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cson wrote: »
    I only just saw this now, you bollocks. If you ever have the misfortune to meet me, you'll realise theres far more wrong with me than being a Laccy...

Mutant as well yeah? We all have our problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

We're in just as much demand as Chemists etc, who earn approx €60k graduate wage, just there's a much larger supply of accountants. Thing with accounting is that a starting wage of €17k will rise to €50k fairly steeply once qualified, and by they time you get to 40 if you play your cards right €250k isn't exactly out of the question, nor is €1m if you find the right company to work for. You definitely wouldn't get it in a practice, but there's much better job security in a practice.

Lawyers would be LUCKY to get a figure as high as €1400 or even get paid at all in some cases while they're develling :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Peteee wrote: »
    Thats what they get for having a crappy arts degree!

/me has no job with a B.Sc :p

A crappy Arts degree was earning me in the region of €2200/month while on co-op.

Damn I wish I actually wanted to go into that area.

*mumbles about underpaid journalists*

OP, the clubs and/or societies are about broadening your education and experience. Don't feel like you *have* to supplement your degree by limiting your extra-curricular activities to those related to your course. By all means, feel free to join the Law Soc if you so want to (the Law Ball is an annual event :p) but join socs that you're interested in purely from a relaxation point of view. You'll need something to take your mind off law/acc during the weeks when the assignments are piling on.

And now for some pimpin' :)

DebU (the Debating Union) rocks! Debates are all-encompassing and varied and often produce some quality one-liners and chuckles. Cson, I look forward to seeing you at these next semester :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cson wrote: »
    Yep I iz a wee firstie. Currently living in No.23 Killlllmurrrrrraaaaaaaa - Now With Free Frequent Call Ins From Daft Dave!

pretty sure i got drunk in your house last semester, iv done most of the 20's, im in 81.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Our house is the one nearest the Church (Village Hall ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭chubba1984

Hi,

I graduated from Law & Accounting in 2006 and I must say the 4 years I spent on that course were fantastic. The course is small, I think it has expanded a bit since I started but no more than about 70 people on it, so you get to know the rest of the course very well, which is very good for when you eventually go out into the workplace.

Before I went in, i didn't really know what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to do something numbers based so I felt accounting would be good. I had the points so I did the Law & Accounting course. I can't say that I enjoyed the Law aspect too much to start with, it's entirely different to any other subject you'd have ever done up to Leaving Cert. However, it grew on me and now I work in Tax so I am doing a job that combines both the Law and the Accounting aspects.

The best part of the course (and UL in general for that matter) is the co-op placement. It can't be stessed enough that it is where you learn the most during your college days. It really lets you know what you want to do later. I got a job in a tax department and haven't looked back since really. I was placed in Dublin which was like a mini-UL what with about 150 students up there. House parties were mental craic!

The course work is fairly small as well with at most one or two assignments each semester. i think that is to take into account the extra time needed to study the law side of things.

Overall, I found Law & Acc to be a great experience and it was definitely worth doing it. Having experienced the college life in Galway (I did a Masters in Accounting last year), I must say Limerick is a better place to go to college. You're in your own little community which is ideal.

If you have any questions about the course or UL in general, I'd be happy to answer them if you want to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 foxayladaykeno

Ok so after months of thought, I've decided to put Law & Accounting as number one on my CAO. So would anyone possibly have a break down of Semester 2 ?? I'd defo be interested in buying those books by the way!

Gonna be living in CappaVilla! Can't wait for September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cson could probably help you out here but I'm not sure if he's around, could be on holidays or something. I'm sure he'll reappear at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

cson sadly doesn't have 16hrs of the day free anymore like he did in college. I've been neglecting this board, actually boards altogether a lot since I finished.

Lesson 1: the books are a load of ****e, expensive ****e you really don't need. I'll sort you out with some books for next year if ya want. And I'll breakdown Semester 2 for ya if I get a spare hour sometime.

You're in illustrious company in The Villa too. My good self is also in residence there next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement