Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should my 8800gtx be able to run Crysis without a drop in frame rate?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

i have just bought a farely high spec dell xps 420 and i've installed Crysis, downloaded the patch, installed it and when i played it there was a constant drop in frame rate for all game quality settings (ranging from Very High to Medium),and still getting a drop in framerate, my windows performance is 5.4, i've been reading that Crysis is exceptionally hard to run but i still think i shouldnt be gettin a drop in frame rate at lowish settings.

Can anyone shed any light on this or suggest any diagnostics of remedies? cause i'm pretty p$ssed off with it :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Whats the rest of your PC spec?

As you may have noticed, Crysis isn't just a pretty game, but one that employ some nice AI and physics effects, so it's demanding on all parts of a system.

What size screen (resolution) do you have?

Generally tweaking the graphics helps, I played on medium with one or two on high and post processing and a few others on low. I got about 25FPS on average (about playable in my book).

Get used to the fact that you will have to make compromises to play Crysis, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

i have 3gigs of ram, its a quad core q6600 processor, 1TB memory, pretty high spec, not sure what resolution i'm running but will check it out tonight, have a 22" samsung syncmaster monitor with it! its just annoying is all, would like to get it sorted! how do you find out what framerate the game is running?

First, enable console commands:

press the tilde key (~) and type con_restricted=0

then, type the following to display frame rate:

r_displayinfo 1

It is a good system, but in the end you are limited by the fact it is a Dell and as such you will not have the same freedom to tweak as a custom builder. I would wait it out for the new 9800s to hit.

This guide is fairly handy, it describes what graphical features do what, which are the most intensive, etc. so its easy to tailor the game to your system and achieve a balance between what you deem "pleasing on the eye" and "playable frame rate".

I'm happy with anything over 25FPS, but I've seen idiots complain about not hitting 60 FPS. Dont get obsessed with the numbers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea this is "playable" at 10fps if your into that sort of thing lol

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

right i'll try tweaking the settings tonight, i'm hoping it will work, thanks for the help, will keep ye posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I feel for you Hoppy, but we are all in the same situation..I have an xps710 overclocked to under 3.0ghz,8800gtx,2gb ram etc like yourself and I cant play Crysis at full pelt @ 1680 by 1050 without the frame rate dropping below 30....

We cant have it bothways example, when the 8800GTX came out you could throw any game at it with little to no slowdown. This was a time when hardware was ahead of software, now its the other way around....

Progress will only ever happen with one leapfrogging the other, this is the way of things.The only you thing you can do for the moment is to be smart about selecting Crysis's in-game setting,until the hardware catches up with the software,which is a better thing than vica versa

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I feel for you Hoppy, but we are all in the same situation..I have an xps710 overclocked to under 3.0ghz,8800gtx,2gb ram etc like yourself and I cant play Crysis at full pelt @ 1680 by 1050 without the frame rate dropping below 30....

We cant have it bothways example, when the 8800GTX came out you could throw any game at it with little to no slowdown. This was a time when hardware was ahead of software, now its the other way around....

Progress will only ever happen with one leapfrogging the other, this is the way of things.The only you thing you can do for the moment is to be smart about selecting Crysis's in-game setting,until the hardware catches up with the software,which is a better thing than vica versa
    Try playing at a lower resolution man, 1680x1050 is too high for this game on "High" for most people, if you wish to keep the high resolution, I would reccomend lowering certain graphical effects to medium! I play Crysis at only 1024x768! It gives me a good framerate medium high, a joke with my specs I know but, 40+fps ftw :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

heh , i run 1680x1050 medium and about 40stable

hey lads, thanks for your interest, been some interesting developments, tried running quake wars when i got home(which ran perfectly the other dayy before i installed crysis)and it stuttered badly and i had to abandon it. Tried Crysis and it was the same, went to my nVidia control panel and everything in the window was flickering too, as was everthing in my device manager also, it was very very strange. I was psssed off so rang xps support and we reverted to original factory drivers and no avail, then uninstalled Crysis and presto all was fine.

In short, CRYSIS tried its best to wreck my machine, and i am not happy about that! Ragin cause i'd love to play it but dont think there's any way of it not wrecking my machine :confused:

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    First, enable console commands:

press the tilde key (~) and type con_restricted=0

then, type the following to display frame rate:

r_displayinfo 1

It is a good system, but in the end you are limited by the fact it is a Dell and as such you will not have the same freedom to tweak as a custom builder. I would wait it out for the new 9800s to hit.

This guide is fairly handy, it describes what graphical features do what, which are the most intensive, etc. so its easy to tailor the game to your system and achieve a balance between what you deem "pleasing on the eye" and "playable frame rate".

I'm happy with anything over 25FPS, but I've seen idiots complain about not hitting 60 FPS. Dont get obsessed with the numbers anyway.
    actually as a matter of interest where do i enter these codes to play around with settings etc??

• Advertisement

could have been a direct x error , or drivers , when u install the latest drivers you should really clean the old ones out with something like driver cleaner pro.

never heard of anything like that before , strange..

i highly Doubt crysis is at fault

cheers papu, been reading around and people have been getting seriously strange errors with the 8800 and crysis, its just not adding up for me. i had the latest drivers and had to revert back, might try installing the latest ones again and trying quake wars on it just as an exercise...i really want to get crysis running, been looking forward to it for 2 odd years!

heh , it is a great game , good luck ! ;D

Just press tilde key at any time during the game while paused or at the main menu.

Crysis is a class game, graphics aside. I only ever played the far cry demo and when I started playing Crysis I felt a bit underwhelmed. Was ths shaping up to be a graphically improved Far Cry? Well, it probably is, but I really enjoyed the story telling and top notch AI. Nothing beats stalking a large korean camp, trying to figure out whether to go in quietly or storm the front gate!

Post processing seems to be one of the biggest crooks for chugging frame rates. I was happy turning it to low. I think my settings were medium, bar PP and Shader level at low (I know, had to take a hit there), then textures and environmental effects on high. It still slows down at any cutscene.

For now, I've finished it, and put it on a shelf for a few months until I have the hardware to say "Wow!"

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

Hi Holly, I got a XPS 720 H2C and popped Crysis in expecting a graphical paradise to explode onto my screen, instead i got some low frame rates at certain points in the game, mainly dark areas with chopper hovering above me.
    After googling about this, i found 2 windows patches for gamers (linked below) based on vista platform. The game ran alot smoother for me after installing them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936710

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

Also finished the game, found the ending a bit lame tbh. Multi-player is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

1TB memory,

:rolleyes: LOL, In 20 yrs time maybe :D

Advertisement