Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to work in Australia for a year - Will it be hard to get a Visa?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

Im am thinking of moving to Oz for a year to work. just wondering if anyone could gove me advice on the best way about getting a Visa?? Any info will be a great help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Eusto

Do you want a professional Visa for the year or a working holiday visa? I'm going there in Feb on a year long working holiday visa. It takes about 1 day to get once applied. You can only stay with the one employer for a maximum of 6 months. Once you work for 3 months of the year with anyone, you can apply for a second working holiday visa which gives you another year if you would like to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

yeh id like a working holiday visa. do you need certain qualifications before you can be entitled to one of these visa's?? at least i could take a month of here and there to tour a bit.

No you don't need to be qualified. Just not over the age of 30. If you are then you need to be a qualified professional.

Heres the website for applying. Everything you need to know is on here ;)

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/visas/jsp/index.jsp?visaType=WORKING_HOLIDAY

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

thanks, thats very useful for me. i will fill out all info and see what happens, im only 21 anyway so hopefully there wont be a problem. not planning on going until 2009

Ah good stuff. Sure if ya can, fill it out and pay for it. You're allowed enter Oz up to 1 year after they grant your visa, and then stay for a year. So next Jan you can head over. This way you won't keep puttin it on the long finger and it may never happen then. Its all about the deadlines! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Eusto wrote: »
    Once you work for 3 months of the year with anyone, you can apply for a second working holiday visa which gives you another year if you would like to stay on.

Unfortunately thats not the case,u have to do seasonal work over there for 3 months.ie.working on a banana farm,or cutting lettuce.
    The days are long and the money isnt very good,but when i was there i met a lot of ppl who did do it just to save cash and get the extra year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That just simply is not true. You can apply for a 2nd year visa without having picked fruit or doing anything like it at all.
    (I'm in Melbourne right now.)

Getting the visa is as simple as following the info on that website. Trailfinders are good for flights. You might want to see Asia first though (generally done via Bangkok.)
    If you want to go and stay working, Sydney and Melbourne are probably your best bets. Its difficult to get accommodation in Brisbane, but then Brisbane is closest to all the kickass places.

on a whv?
    please explain,.im back 2/3 months now and thats the first ive heard of it.

u cud get sponsored i guess...but thats not what the op was referring to was it?

• Advertisement

The seasonal work stuff like picking fruit is no longer an issue. It used to be.

So,ur saying to extend your whv for an additional year,u no longer have to do seasonal work?????think ur mistaken somehow

The Working Holiday Program provides opportunities for people between 18 and 30 to holiday in Australia and to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.

Reciprocal Countries List
    Australia has reciprocal Working Holiday Maker arrangements in effect with the United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China, Finland, the Republic of Cyprus, France, and Italy, Belgium, Estonia and Taiwan.

The visa allows a stay of up to 12 months from the date of first entry to Australia, regardless of whether or not you spend the whole time in Australia.

You are allowed to do any kind of work of a temporary or casual nature, and you can work with each employer for up to six months.

Working Holiday Makers who have worked as a seasonal worker in regional Australia for a minimum of three months while on their first Working Holiday visa, will be eligible to apply for a second Working Holiday visa. Applicants need to demonstrate that they continue to meet the requirements for a Working Holiday visa. These include:
    # being aged between 18 and 30
    # having no dependents; and
    # being a citizen of a country named in the working holiday maker reciprocal arrangements

Seasonal work is defined as: picking fruit, nuts and other crops, pruning and trimming vines and trees, general maintenance crop work and other work associated with packing or processing the harvest.

Regional Australia includes anywhere in Australia except Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, the NSW Central Coast, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Perth, Melbourne or the ACT.

Finding Jobs
    Information about harvest work opportunities in regional Australia can be found at the Harvest Trail Website - See the Australian Governments Harvest Trail Website

Extending Your Stay
    If you intend to apply for a second Working Holiday visa, you will need to provide evidence that you have worked for a minimum of three months as a seasonal worker in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa. Before commencing seasonal work in a regional area, you should obtain a copy of the employment verification form from your nearest DIMIA office, or from the forms section of the DIMIA website :confused:

You will need to fill in Form # 1263 - Working Holiday Visa: Employment Verification

Other acceptable evidence of seasonal work for working holiday makers who undertook seasonal work in regional Australia may be original or certified copies of payslips, group certificates, tax returns, and employer references.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I'm going there in Feb on a year long working holiday visa. It takes about 1 day to get once applied. .

Hey can anybody else back this up? I know it takes a shorter time online but how long would you want to give yourself before applying to be safe.

I'll be in Oz March 2009 but leaving on my travels in 5 weeks. So to get the max amount of travel i'm going to leave my Visa till the last day possible as it is only valid for the 12 months ( the longer i leave it the longer i have in NZ)
    What is a sensible day to apply.. I'm leaving on March 12th.. could i apply say in the first week of March. Or would anyone advise against this? Better to be safe than sorrry?

The 12 month visa commences from the time you enter the country, not from the time you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Flynn wrote: »
    Hey can anybody else back this up? I know it takes a shorter time online but how long would you want to give yourself before applying to be safe.

I'll be in Oz March 2009 but leaving on my travels in 5 weeks. So to get the max amount of travel i'm going to leave my Visa till the last day possible as it is only valid for the 12 months ( the longer i leave it the longer i have in NZ)
    What is a sensible day to apply.. I'm leaving on March 12th.. could i apply say in the first week of March. Or would anyone advise against this? Better to be safe than sorrry?

you'll be fine leaving it til then. Only takes a day or two to come through, and as far as I can remember the passport number will be on record on their files. You are dead right to leave it late as you can, get your full year before you get into Oz, you never know how you will go until March of next year. You can even apply from New Zealand, so thats another option for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The seasonal work stuff like picking fruit is no longer an issue. It used to be.

Since when has this been the case?

Can somebody clarify this? Have the rules changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well my cousin's gf got a visa there six months ago and it was for two years and requires no fruit picking etc. I've nothing official link to this but it's definitely what she got. You can also work in the one job for six months as opposed to three now.

Australia is crying out for skilled workers so this is a move to attract more over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

i know people out there on the WHV who stayed in the same job for the year..
    and others who never picked fruit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

How much would you recommend to save before going?
    Is it hard to get places to live/stay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billy the Kid98

It all depends on your circumstances, what do you work as? Do you want to travel in oz/se asia first. I work in construction (at a desk) and found it simple to find a job here in melbourne. But rent deposits etc add up so basically as much as you can afford to bring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

Not true.
    The 12 month visa commences from the time you enter the country, not from the time you get it.

Not true.

And it's all here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/index.htm

I got an electronic 12 month visa and it started from the day I entered the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Not true.

And it's all here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/index.htm

Your visa starts when you ARRIVE .. so that is true
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-the-visa-works.htm
    to quote from the above
    If you are granted a Working Holiday visa and an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) or Maritime Crew Visa (MCV), you will activate the Working Holiday visa on arrival in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

Once you work for 3 months of the year with anyone, you can apply for a second working holiday visa which gives you another year if you would like to stay on.

is that anyone? i thought it had to be harvest work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I see nobody has posted in here for a while so I'd appreciate a reply. My wife and I are thinking of going to Australia for a year. The trouble is, I'll be 30 in August and we're not ready to go for maybe a year yet. My wife is only 24, is that a help to our situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

I'm 35. Is there any way for me to get a working visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 chele

i think uv to be under 30 sorry.. u need a professional one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Don't give up hope, write them a letter saying why you never had the chance to go beforehand.... see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dark21

what if u get issued a visa and befor u travel all visas get pulled do i still have those that have been issued. tnx for any help
    :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

I got an electronic 12 month visa and it started from the day I entered the country.
    hi dr.have u any idea about the 4 year temp visa,i e can u apply while in ozz on a one year visa,and lastly is the permanent visa difficult to apply for on your own,or is it better to use an agent.

Advertisement