Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q6600 or E6860 for my new PC??

Options
  • 15-01-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am building a new PC but i'm not sure what procecessor I should be putting in it..

The Q6600 2.4Ghz Quad Core or The E6860 3.0Ghz Dual Core??

I suppose the most demanding application I will be using it for will be a flight simulator. Not much into games but I would like to be able to play all the latest ones if I need to. Along with this I would like to be able to RIP/Burn DVDs, virus scan etc at the same time..

One person has told me to go for the 3.0Ghz dual core because I will benfit from the speed moreso than the number of cores.

Another has told me to go for the Quad Core beacause it just better.My one concern with the Quad Core is that I won't ever use the four cores.
    For example if I am runnning a demanding program will it spread the load over the four cores or just use one and leave the other 3 doing small jobs? Also that this processor will produce twice as much heat..will this be okay with the stock cooler and 2 120mm case fans?

I am beginning to lean towards the Quad as Dual Core is kind of yesterdays news at this stage.Right/Wrong?

I plan on using Vist (32bit) and Ubuntu(64bit) on this machine..

Thanks,
    Techguy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

This is a quote from a benchmark found here:

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/components/0,1000001694,39290600-9,00.htm

If 3D games are your thing, there's currently little advantage to be had from a quad-core processor. However, if developers build in more quad-core optimisation in the future, the picture will change fast, as the 3DMark 06 test suggests. Generally speaking, the more a program is parallelised — that is, the more threads it uses — the bigger the advantage a quad-core chip will deliver.

I have a Q6600 and it rocks!
    If your into your overclocking make sure you get the G0 stepping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

How would I go about getting the G0 stepping?are they hard to get?

Also, have you looked at the my other thread mentioned in first post? What do you think of the case and PSU for this proccessor?
    Is the case big enough to hold a bigger cooler etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

You'll really get the most out of the quad when your multi tasking ie: running a few programs at the same time. The faster single core / dual core will come in to play when running a single application.
    As far as I know there arn't all that many programs or games that support dual threading let alone quad.

The e6850 (6860?) and the q6600 seem to be around the same price, so what I would do is get the 6600 for future proofing and overclock it a bit. With a good aftermarket heatsing and the two 120mm fans you should be able to get it up to 2.8GHz - 3.00GHz. Much more bang for your buck.

techguy wrote: »
    How would I go about getting the G0 stepping?are they hard to get?

Also, have you looked at the my other thread mentioned in first post? What do you think of the case and PSU for this proccessor?
    Is the case big enough to hold a bigger cooler etc?

Its hard to tell without seeing it in real life to know how good that PSU and case is.It should be fine so long as you dont want Crossfire or SLI.
    If you want to overclock you need a decent PSU also to maintain correct voltages etc.

Your budget of €1100 should see you get quality components(ex graphic card) if you shop around.

I would change your disk selection to this one:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327715

Have you decided on the mobo?

How about this one:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330522

Do you want PCI Express 2?then your gonna need a PCI 2 mobo.

do you want DDR3?then youll need a DDR3 mobo also!

You see its not so easy is it?

For €1100 buy one from dell.they are offering free delivery fr January.

i might also add that you say in your original post you want it to last 5 years.

in 5 years time pc's will be making you breakfast!

Look at this one from Komplett..

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.aspx?sku=10058

they are doing all the hard work for you.all you gotta do is key in your CC details.

• Advertisement

OK,first off let's forget the 5 year idea..I think I was asking for a bit much but would like it someway "futureproofed"

Anyway, I've come up with this setup now following your suggestions.

I think I'll stick with DDR2 and PCI ex. They will be fine for me.

What do you think of the case,proccessor,mobo,RAM,GFX,PSU combo? Will I be able to add a decent aftermarket cooler later if I like?

Also, will I need that adapter that I have included as someone said you might need it for some PSUs?

Any other upgrades I should consider? Budget seems to have been raised a small bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No such thing as future proof. I would however get 4GB RAM minimum as RAM is dirt cheap right now (even if you use vista/xp 32bit).

Get this monitor instead: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335466 has DVI w/HDCP which will be needed at some stage.

Get this motherboard instead: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335010 or another P35 board at a minimum. The P965 chipset is old news now, and won't support upcoming processors.

With that Case/PSU you shouldn't need the adaptor cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

This month Intel will be rolling out new 45nm dual core processors at the same price point as the old E6xxx family.

In the next 2 or possibly 3 months the will be releasing new quad core processors, again, at the same price as the current ones.

IMHO now is a terrible time to be buying a processor unless you can get it at a massively reduced price.

See this thread: [Link]

OK,first off let's forget the 5 year idea..I think I was asking for a bit much but would like it someway "futureproofed"

Anyway, I've come up with this setup now following your suggestions.

I think I'll stick with DDR2 and PCI ex. They will be fine for me.

What do you think of the case,proccessor,mobo,RAM,GFX,PSU combo? Will I be able to add a decent aftermarket cooler later if I like?

Also, will I need that adapter that I have included as someone said you might need it for some PSUs?

Any other upgrades I should consider? Budget seems to have been raised a small bit..

Change the mobo to this one:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335661&view=detailed#ProductTabs
    its a better chipset than the Asus.

As for the budget thats what happens when you go this route.

i will look into a power supply for you.

i'm not kidding if you are on a tight budget it would be far better to buy a pre-built system.

If you try to compromise on any of the components needed it may spell disaster.

Looking at your spec I have to say there is nothing I like about it.
    Thats just my opinion.
    Your GPU is costing you €250 which is money better spent on a better power supply better ram and better mobo.

these 8800GT's are massively over-inflated prices.thats why I'm recomending the Dell becuase they buy them much cheaper.otherwise buy a reasonable enough 88 series GPU and upgrade it in a few months time.

Just have a look at the pre-built system from komplett.

They are pro's at pre-building.They do it day in and day out.Much like overclockers and the rest of them.

You are not gonna beat that system on bang for buck.

or if you really must insist on building your own..no GPU though!

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=550016&su=ABE50449-C77E-4EFD-8B21-B112481246E3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The psu that comes with the Antec Sonata 3 is a good quality psu so you shouldn't worry about that. This mainboard is getting excellent reviews http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339437 and is a few quid cheaper than what you listed. Also, you could save money on ram with this http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2ram/4gbteamelite6400cl5kit.html (courtesy of bargain alert thread).

PS for a cheap aftermarket cooler this ain't supposed to be bad http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338133

Finally, have you looked at dabs or elara for purchasing your stuff: they work out a nice bit cheaper and you can pay by paypal to avoid their security crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Definitely go with the quad if your wanting to play flight sim, its more cpu dependant than modern games & is multithreaded. Although it could be spread out better on cores, but this will probably improve with future updates. It will take advantage of having 4 cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Finally, have you looked at dabs or elara for purchasing your stuff: they work out a nice bit cheaper and you can pay by paypal to avoid their security crap.

I can tell you this doesn't work for dabs.ie..

Found out they used paypal and thought it was great I could actually buy stuff now! I still got the security email.. I cancelled straight away!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

curses...just tried it now and it fecked up my delivery address. But still, Dabs are cheaper for most of the shopping list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Elara use security stuff like dabs for purchases? I've used them a few times with a cc and never come accross it. Never used paypal with them.

sorry didn't mean elara with the security stuff. Just dabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

sorry didn't mean elara with the security stuff. Just dabs.

Yea ive ordered of elara.ie and there perfect!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Ok,

I've done my little bit of research and have come up with the final spec..here goes!

I will be buying the last three items from the US to save a few quid..(I'm assuming they are identical and will work flawlessly over here, yes???)

Also, My savings seem to be going on the better PSU and case..
    Will the Antec Sonata III Miditower, Black w/500W PSU suit my need(Case, size wise and PSU, Watt wise?)
    I would prefer my savings to be spent on a second monitor rather than a better psu/case. Do I really need the higher spec psu?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Ok,

I've done my little bit of research and have come up with the final spec..here goes!

I will be buying the last three items from the US to save a few quid..(I'm assuming they are identical and will work flawlessly over here, yes???)

Also, My savings seem to be going on the better PSU and case..
    Will the Antec Sonata III Miditower, Black w/500W PSU suit my need(Case, size wise and PSU, Watt wise?)
    I would prefer my savings to be spent on a second monitor rather than a better psu/case. Do I really need the higher spec psu?

Thanks..

If you get caught by customs it will work out very expensive, have you tried hardwareversand?

You can get it for €1170 built/delivered

mrbz4i.jpg

Sorry, I should have mentioned I will be getting the parts shipped to the US and then brought home by a relative..

Also, It was a 4GB RAM Set I should have inlcuded, I have it fixed now anyway..

Thanks for the great reply Sqaull

EDIT: Just after pricing the stuff i'll be getting in the EU i'll be saving around €90!! Thanks for the link..

• Advertisement

Is this ram okay for me. I'm assuming the whole "SLI-Ready" thing is just marketing.. Has it been optimized for the nForce chipset? I won't have that on my mobo??Could the CAS latency be a bit lower??

I picked it because of:
    DDR2
    PC6400 (800Mhz)
    2x2GB - Not 4x1 GB as it will leave 2 slots open for future upgrades.

will this suit the Q6600?

If not what would be my best alternative for around the same price from www.tigerdirect.com ?

They don't have the OCZ RAM previously mentioned with the cool HPC coolers..:(

Thanks..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

MemoryC.com is where you wanna get RAM - I ordered off them Monday afternoon, had the RAM in my hands Tuesday morning and it's the cheapest I've found.

I got 4GB (2X2GB) of Team for 94.54 including VAT & postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

If you got 2x2GB, is someone planning something that would allow people to use the other two slots? I thought 4gb was the max unless you had a funny operating system...

I'm not too worried about the speed of delivery..I just want decent stuff.
    Is the RAM i just mentioned okay to get.

Need I worry about the whole SLI Spin??

@Drakar: I'm just leaving myself open for the future..I'm sure we won't be limited to 4gb.** I wonder were they saying things like that back in the days of a 32MB system running windows 3.1**

Advertisement