Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I know i know

• 15-01-2008 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

i know its nothing to do with soccer per se, but i was trawling some site to find this vid to support an arguement i was making about never say die attitudes and work rate, commitment, passion etc. i decided id post it to show what real commitment looks like and maybe you can all ask, including me, do we get that kind of effort from our soccer players much?

either way this clip just inspires me to run through walls!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8057aec3

if you have no interest in the sport just fast forward the first talky bit, but i guarantee you will enjoy the action itself. from a sports point of view im sure it can be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maybe if we juiced up our players with Human Growth Hormones ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

do you think ronaldo will do that with growth hormones?? its about mentality rather then physicality, i thought somebody would understand that here but hey, i could be wrong!

if you cant appreciate excellence in other sports thats fair enough too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Was posted in the NFL thread a while back, amazing tackle. As you said, just shows great determination to get back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

as has been said its about the right mentality and determination

roy keane had this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

NICE FIND

Yes I understand what you are getting at . Its like Mc COY a few years back took a very bad fall breaking his glaw put was riding winners the very next day in a face mask.Some sportsmen/women have that extra drive or commitment where they are willing to put it all on the line, In soccer these days these players seem to fewer and fewer . like you said I cannot see Ronaldo(as much as i like him ) doing something like that ,However I have seen the likes of Rooney or John Terry show levels of commitment and desire in games that has been outstanding and breathtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

kryogen wrote: »
    i decided id post it to show what real commitment looks like and maybe you can all ask, including me, do we get that kind of effort from our soccer players much?

course you do

ive seen roy keane sprint 70 yards to make a tackle after he lost it.
    ive seen john terry play on when he had broken a bone in his foot and blood coming out of his boot.
    ive seen players play on with stitches in their heads

yeah we have some divers and pansies, but what can you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

that was a savage tackle...you see commitment like that all the time in GAA. it takes a completly different mentality to be like that...in any sport.

what im getting at is i feel like the bryan robsons and roy keanes of this world are getting less and less in number each season, im just wondering how long it will be before there are none left

but its a good point about rooney alright, hes young and he will put his body on the line for the team alright, i have my issues with john terry as a player but his commitment is never something i doubt.

your right prendy, it does take a special mentality and thats the side of the game i feel is in decline, i know there are exceptions of course, but for the most part i see less and less leaders and less and less guys who will run themselves into the ground for the cause

i still get tears in my eyes when i watch some old roy keane highlights by the way!!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There are players that will go above and beyond. Unfortunately not enough. As above, Keane was willing to do it. Carra in ET in the 2005 CL final, really stretched for a ball, got htere and was crippled with cramp. the ball was cleared and came back again.

He had 2 options, stretch again for basically the same ball, or not put in the effort and avoid the ball. The majority of people wouldnt have spotted it and even if Milan had scored from it , no one would have blamed carra for still being in a heap on the ground. But he didnt, his attitude was to get up unless you physically cant get yourself off the ground. I have great admiration for that type of player.

You dont have to be the best player in the world but put the effort in and push yourself and you can be seen as one of them. Keane was a great example of that. I doont think anyone will argue that he was the most skillfull player, but he could drag himself and others to do things that they woudl itherwise say , meh, I dont really have too. A desire to win and be a winner.

Unfortunately theres too many, and growing , players that will choose not to put themsleves on the line to win. They can just take it handy, not risk injury and still collect their pay cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ben watson is a legend of a player. some great defending - stick-to-it-iveness i believe is the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Paul McGrath played one of his best games for Ireland against Italy in USA94 with a very bad infection in his shoulder which left him with very little use in one arm, he marked at the time one of the best players around, Baggio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

serious trek to make a tackle, couldnt imagine my gaelic team full forward covering that sort of ground to make the tackle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Great vid thanks for posting it!

To answer your Q - I don't think we get that much effort these days from soccer players but there are exceptions. I'm a United fan and think Rooney is our best for drive, dertermination and effort. Hargreaves deserves a mention also, and of course the legend that was Roy Keane - my hero :)

But of course then there's attitudes like Ronaldo that sometimes make me feel ashamed - I wish there were more like Keane but that's just the way money in the game maybe has made it I guess...

yeah,now i love ronaldo, and his attacking qualitys have so far more then made up for his lack of work ethic in terms of team play, i just wish he and alot of other guys playing today had the same level of commitment as people did years ago and as people do in other sports, i think its the mentality that should be drilled into youth players.....

hmmmmm.....ronaldos talent with roy keanes mentality, oh god i have to change my underwear!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There are only 2 players(i think) in the premiership now that come close to having the mentality shown in that video and shown by Keane etc. Carragher and Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd put Alan Smith in that list imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Melion wrote: »
    There are only 2 players(i think) in the premiership now that come close to having the mentality shown in that video and shown by Keane etc. Carragher and Terry

I'd add Vidic to that list at the very least, and probably a good few other defenders too. Essien has a great work ethic and drive too. I'm sure there are a load of other players too - Gareth Barry maybe for one.

Advertisement