Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supposed Eircom package upgrades?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

On a recent interview with Matt Cooper (Today FM) an Eircom rep suggested speed increases were due in the next couple of months. How likely is this and what kind of increases could we be looking at?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nobody knows yet what they are planning but Its rumoured that the upgrades will only be on Eircom Exchanges in Cities and Large Towns, exchanges serving very large populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Gonzo wrote: »
    nobody knows yet what they are planning but Its rumoured that the upgrades will only be on Eircom Exchanges in Cities and Large Towns, exchanges serving very large populations.

If thats the case then different charges would have to be applied to customers with the upgrades. Eircom are a shower but they can hardly charge the same amounts for people on different speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

well bt gives 8 meg where its available for the price of 3 meg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Macker1 wrote: »
    If thats the case then different charges would have to be applied to customers with the upgrades. Eircom are a shower but they can hardly charge the same amounts for people on different speeds

Thats what im thinking as well, seems very unfair if those lucky enough to live in the city or large urban area will get upgraded and the majority of us outside Dublin and very large towns will be left on 1/2/3mb for god knows how long more. Unfortunately there has been so many rumours that this is the case with eircom only putting adsl2 into their major exchanges. I would rather we were all upgraded at once or nothing at all. Seems fair that we all get the same deal once on a broadband enabled exchange from eircom.

The deal with Bt is different tho coz thats BT offering Eircom resold in most exchanges offerng up to 3meg while the lucky 40 something exchanges can avail of BT Business offering 8meg which is BT dedicated equipment for same price, they are 2 completely different setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

A user called flakey posted this on the Ireland Off Line forum before x-mass.

hi i work for eircom broadband. if ur on a carrier line(line share) u cant avail of bb theres a deployment plan out in mid jan dat will give dates of wat exchanges will be enabled, and all bb speeds will be doubled in new year no extra cost 1mb will jump to 2mb and so on..... no extra cost

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005172&page=7

Zug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

don't know about consumer, but we just got a call from our account manager an hour ago offering the ADSL2 upgrade to 12MB/1MB from 6/512........no additional charge - just the inconvienence of an upgrade that takes an hour (so they say) but they can't tell you when it will happen, you get 48hrs notice but they still won't tell you the engineer will be there between 2-4 or in the morning or afternoon, professional as ever......but then again it's free so what the hell......

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Akula

How much are you paying for 6 megs at the moment? Is that a business package?

he would be on eircom enhanced business package and not exactly cheap at €170 a month ex vat and line rental

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/enhanced/

It says on all the broadband packages that offers end 4th April 2008, I wonder is that the date when new packages are introduced??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Gonzo wrote: »
    Thats what im thinking as well, seems very unfair if those lucky enough to live in the city or large urban area will get upgraded and the majority of us outside Dublin and very large towns will be left on 1/2/3mb for god knows how long more.

Don't think that's unfair at all gonzo. I live in dodgy broadband land too, but i don't think it's realistic to expect the same service as a densely populated area.

I don't expect the same bus service, pizza delivery or a hospital in my backyard either. i'd expect businesses to spend the most money where the most people will experience the improvement. This is the compromise you make when you live in a small town or in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

NIBBS wrote: »
    don't know about consumer, but we just got a call from our account manager an hour ago offering the ADSL2 upgrade to 12MB/1MB from 6/512........no additional charge - just the inconvienence of an upgrade that takes an hour (so they say) but they can't tell you when it will happen, you get 48hrs notice but they still won't tell you the engineer will be there between 2-4 or in the morning or afternoon, professional as ever......but then again it's free so what the hell......

He probably did that as IBB have just launched a 12Mb service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eircom have been muttering about rolling-out ADSL2+, the same technology used by Smart Telecom, Magnet and BT's unbundled products. It gives greater reach i.e. you can get it over a longer line and also much higher speeds.

I'm guessing eircom will prioritise areas where Smart and other operators are already available to prevent loss of customers.
    i.e Dublin and Cork and the other cities and larger towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

duplicate post.

eircom has launched a 12Mb business broadband package:

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/12Mb/

At the moment, it is available in 40 exchange areas in Dublin.

Apparently, a residential 12Mb package is due to be launched in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

pbirney wrote: »
    eircom has launched a 12Mb business broadband package:

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/12Mb/

At the moment, it is available in 40 exchange areas in Dublin.

Apparently, a residential 12Mb package is due to be launched in the coming months.

**** off! Our exchange is still skipped over. We have more people on ours that flip in ballydowd...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ordered the upgrade on a 6m/bit line and was told line wasn't capable! :S 100-150 metres from exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Don't think that's unfair at all gonzo. I live in dodgy broadband land too, but i don't think it's realistic to expect the same service as a densely populated area.

I don't expect the same bus service, pizza delivery or a hospital in my backyard either. i'd expect businesses to spend the most money where the most people will experience the improvement. This is the compromise you make when you live in a small town or in the country.

How much of a compromise though? I think it's a disgrace that there are large areas of the country where people can't get 1meg broadband, let alone 6 or 8. We are way behind many other countries in Europe, many of which have even more rural areas than us. Lack of broadband affects businesses, stops people from eworking and deprives internet users of decent speeds even though they're paying the same taxes as the rest of us and the same line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Talked to an eircom bod yesterday, he told me that they are about to release adsl2 and that it will upgrade existing adsl for the same cost, not sure whether they will double existing babdwidths but they will increase them for the same cost, supposedly in the next couple of months...

Having said that, I'll believe it when I see it.........

**** off! Our exchange is still skipped over. We have more people on ours that flip in ballydowd...

Chill out. :rolleyes:

... BTW, what do you mean by ... "flip in ballydowd" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Link
    Eircom today announced plans to increase broadband speeds for broadband customers around the country, through a combination of speed upgrades and new products.

The changes also apply to all wholesale customers, enabling other operators to offer new broadband products to the market.

Retail broadband customers will continue to pay the same monthly fee and will receive the speed upgrades free of charge, while today’s announcement will provide lower wholesale broadband prices.

Eircom said it would now offer broadband products with download speeds from 1Mb up to 12Mb per second and said the speed upgrades and new products would be introduced on a phased basis over the coming months.

The company said more than 240,000 wholesale and retail customers would now see their broadband download speeds increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

pbirney wrote: »
    Chill out. :rolleyes:

... BTW, what do you mean by ... "flip in ballydowd" :confused:

Mis type.

• Advertisement
Advertisement