Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Halifax the best?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

So I walked into Halifax yesterday to set up an account to avail of their Visa Debit card, they then tell me it can't be used as widely as a normal credit card so it can't be used to buy stuff from US retailers online and that. I went in thinking it could be and at the time I found out, I was half way through setting up an account anyway, so just went through with it.

Anyway, I haven't a clue about banks, but they were telling me that they are the most competitive and have won awards for their website and all this craic, so I'm just wondering, was I just being sold the usual sales malarky or are they actually good and worth switching to from AIB for business/personal/savings/credit card and all that jazz? Or could I easily find better?

Totally clueless here when it comes to numbers and all the spurt out so any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It really depends what your looking for.

Some people (do a search on this forum) have been less than impressed with them in the past.

Whoever you were talking to, however, appears to have been taking through their behind. Generally, the Visa debit card will be accepted for payment anywhere a Visa credit card will, online or offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I've been far from impressed with them. Fair enough, I went and got a Visa card off them recently but its not much good until I can view the balance online. I need a bank account with them to do so. Until they change their policy on opening bank accounts I won't be opening one. The only positives are that the rate is quite good and there was a 100eur bonus for signing up.

I would say AIB are the best (IT wise), followed by NIB with BOI and Rabo joint 3nd. I wouldn't rate Halifax that highly on the technology front.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

stepbar wrote: »
    Until they change their policy on opening bank accounts I won't be opening one.

What policy is this:confused:

The saver thing I signed up for was only launched this week they said. So maybe it's a new thing. I was told I can put money in and out whenever I like and as much as I want:confused:

• Advertisement

I'm sure you can, but having to jump through hoops to open a bank account is ridiculus. The only way you can view your credit card / savings a/c etc online is by having a current a/c.

So are you saying the only downside is that you have to create a current account, and the only downside to doing that, is you have to provide a good bit of documentation?

In essence yes, but twice as much as competing banks. Coming from a banker who knows, they don't need the half of it. Call it principle or what you like but until they change the rules I won't be opening an a/c. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, you did. So let's not hash it out again in this thread.

But am I risking anything by having already given them all info requested? I just gave them drivers license, bank statements and utility bill. Everything my current bank already has, so what's the prob with them having it too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'm sure you can, but having to jump through hoops to open a bank account is ridiculus. The only way you can view your credit card / savings a/c etc online is by having a current a/c.

Credit card transactions cannot be viewed with or without a current account. they haven't decided a date it will be up and running i was told from customer care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

i have seen plenty of people having their Halifax visa/debit card being refused in LIdl and Aldi and all saying "but I was told it can be used in all places like a laser card"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

gonker wrote: »
    i have seen plenty of people having their Halifax visa/debit card being refused in LIdl and Aldi and all saying "but I was told it can be used in all places like a laser card"
    it can be used 'like' a laser card but anywhere that accepts visa. only card lidl accept is laser.

cormie wrote: »
    But am I risking anything by having already given them all info requested? I just gave them drivers license, bank statements and utility bill. Everything my current bank already has, so what's the prob with them having it too?

Not at all. How in ever, ID & POA is a standard requirement amoungst the banks I do business with. Nobody in Halifax has been able to explain to me why they need so much documentation to open an account.

Advertisement