Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside room

Options
  • 15-01-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum. Just looking for some advice.

I would like to get one of these in my back garden:
    http://www.kellybarna.ie/price-list.html

Looking at the concrete buildings approx 14 X 10 foot, would I need planning permission to get one of these? I live in an estate with houses surrounding my back garden, its a normal housing estate in a suburb of Dublin.

Also would this be easily convertible into another room? e.g insulation etc

With houses that way they are now i.e. small, this could be a cheap way to get additional space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

You don't need permission to erect a garden shed. I must admit that I wouldn't even put the mother in law in a kellybarna !!!

Have you looked at http://www.botanicgp.com/, they offer a better class of animal altogether.

The dogs gonads is http://www.shomera.ie/ (but I'm sure the price is off the wall).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

The Botanic Living cabins do look alot better !! I suppose the kellybarna are really a shed and not an outside room !!

From looking at the website a 5m X 4m cabin would cost about €8000, which aint too bad. I just know when its finally erected it will end up costing more.

But €8000 for extra room is good and well worth it !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

youtheman wrote: »
    You don't need permission to erect a garden shed. I must admit that I wouldn't even put the mother in law in a kellybarna !!!
    Depending on what the OPs means by "another room" he will need planning. If its another room it isn't a shed so exemption doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In Westmeath, structures up to 400 sq ft are exempt from planning permission, with certain conditions. The smartest thing however is to contact the local planning authority for confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I believe the regulatiions have been changed so that you don't have to apply form PP for small structures.

I live in Cork and my neighbour is building a stand alone room, block construction, windows, pation door, tiled roof etc., and he doesn't need planning (so he told me). I think it is based upon height, area and possibly proximity to the existing dwelling.

I still stand by my original assertion : you don't need PP for a garden shed.

Agree it is best to consult with your local planner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement