Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 Avensis or 07 Octavia?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 11:48am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all im looking at changing from my 03 passat tdi 03 130 bhp to a newer machine.
    I can get a 06 toyota avensis 1.6 petrol for with 17,000 kilometers on the clock costing mr 9,000 to change.

Also looking at an 07 skoda octavia 1.4 with 12,000 on clock,costing 8,700 to change.

any thoughts on which to go with?
    How reliable are the skodas?
    Ive had a toyota avensis 99 with zero problems all the way to 110,000 miles when i changed it.
    Never had a skoda,are they as good as vw or better as some people say?
    What are octavia resale values like?

Before anyone asks,yes im going down in power and switching from diesel but im not doing the mileage any more.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sorry if i seem impatient,im looking at putting down deposit on one of these cars today,thoughts and advice greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Keep the car you have! Seriously!

Yeah i admit to strongly considering keeping her but i just wonder about resale value in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It'll probably loose less value than the other two cars mentioned. Usually, the newer the car the heavier the depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Hi all im looking at changing from my 03 passat tdi 03 130 bhp to a newer machine.
    I can get a 06 toyota avensis 1.6 petrol for with 17,000 kilometers on the clock costing mr 9,000 to change.

Also looking at an 07 skoda octavia 1.4 with 12,000 on clock,costing 8,700 to change.

any thoughts on which to go with?
    How reliable are the skodas?
    Ive had a toyota avensis 99 with zero problems all the way to 110,000 miles when i changed it.
    Never had a skoda,are they as good as vw or better as some people say?
    What are octavia resale values like?

Before anyone asks,yes im going down in power and switching from diesel but im not doing the mileage any more.

keep what you have, seriously, 1.6 Avensis or 1.4 Octavia? thats like having to choose between malaria or rabies...... ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,ive decided to keep what i have for the time being.
    She drives great,looks good and is comortable.
    The only issue i have is the high cost if things go wrong.
    Over xmas i had a misfire in cylinder one and had to get an injector replaced.
    It cost me 540 euros ,400 for actual job and 140 to transport car to and from the guy doing the work.

Fingers crossed ive no more injector trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Buy the Toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

I would go with the toyota too. reliable, no frills, ecomomical motoring.

From experience the Passat will cost you alot to maintain. They are nice and light on diesel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

What you have already is a nice not too dated looking car, handy on juice and you get to keep your 9000e.
    Out of the 2 options, i'd go with the Avensis, but the depreciation would be alot more than your present car over a 2>3 year period.

Screw the car, go on a holiday!!

Advertisement