Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Wheels; where is best value?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Looking to upgrade the wheels of my specilazed Langster, anyone know where I can get a fixed back wheel (as front can be anything) for under say €150?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What's the rear spacing on the Langster?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Get a decent hub, and take it from there.

hubjub.co.uk
    ebay
    etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i just had a new rear wheel built-up for my fixie as it happens. i got cliff in cyclogical to make up a 'system ex' hub on an 'mavic open-pro' rim (32 spokes). i honestly can't remember exactly how much i paid, but it was about €150.

good wheel, very well built and good value i reckon. the weakest component is obviously the hub - i'd never heard of 'system ex' before i bought it and internet reviews are mixed, so i may end up getting it relaced to a better hub in a year or so. i don't know what other hubs cyclogical usually carries but they had dura-ace (out of my budget) and miche (which i think are quite good, but use their own proprietary system for the sprockets). they may have more, i dunno. i'd say they'd be amenable to building up a wheel on a hub you get off the internet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

One of these is what you want! They'll build one up for you and it comes in at just under €155. Goldtec hubs are very highly regarded and lauded for their indestructability. A more affordable alternative to Phil Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

fish-head wrote: »
    One of these is what you want! They'll build one up for you and it comes in at just under €155. Goldtec hubs are very highly regarded and lauded for their indestructability. A more affordable alternative to Phil Wood.

I got a pair of these Goldtec hubs at the moment sitting in my front room - the wheels are built up but they are tubular rims for track racing, I wouldnt mind getting some clincher rims for them for road use, but I dont know if I can be bothered finding a pair on the internet to finish the job.

So if anyone out there is interested in purchasing these wheels, PM me.

I can post a photo here if there's interest. My camera isnt great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Oh yeah I'm only selling them as a pair. Not just the back one.

Or if you have something to trade against them let me know (I'm looking for a fixed crank with a suitable bottom bracket (not sure of the size), 1/8" 40something tooth chainring, 14t sprocket, 1/8" chain... PM me if you think we can deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Frog Brother

that gold tech package looks great, will be giving them a call as soon as i srcape the cash together. for the front, just sticking a shimano wheel http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20605

i am presuming it is preety strong...

I can recogmend the sugino RD as a crank, places in the states sell them in colours for about $160 or you can get them from hubjub.co.uk

the one advantage of the rd over the 75 is that it fits regular road rings, 130 b.c.d. as opposed to the track standard 144 (there is another size but i forget)
    makes it easier to find a replacement and/or change sizes for a better price in your LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I gather on-one are planning to stock fixie rear and front wheels and also wheelsets very shortly. At £75 for a rear wheel, its good value. considering one myself for a new fixie project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

flickerx wrote: »
    I got a pair of these Goldtec hubs at the moment sitting in my front room - the wheels are built up but they are tubular rims for track racing, I wouldnt mind getting some clincher rims for them for road use, but I dont know if I can be bothered finding a pair on the internet to finish the job.

So if anyone out there is interested in purchasing these wheels, PM me.

I can post a photo here if there's interest. My camera isnt great though.

Gwan and show us a photo!

Advertisement