Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for Domain Name

Options
  • 15-01-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I will be starting a web site in the next few weeks and I just checked the domain name I wanted and it says but this site for $2300. From a very vague recollection for IT law in college I think there was some way around this (I'm probably wrong and just remembering what I want to be true). So my question is do I just pay up if I want this domain or is there something else I can try?

John
    (Mods please move if this is in the wrong section)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crianp

Hey John, to the best of my recollection as well :), you might be in a bit of a pickle, you can actually do a search in google to find alot of cases regarding domains, most of these go to arbtritation which is great since the costs are far lower than court however in some cases I think it is just better to fork over the cash. Domain farming is not right in my book but it is a consequence of the net and the world we live in. Have a look a the ICANN site regarding dispute resolution policies:

http://www.icann.org/udrp/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can't get into a UDRP unless you have "rights"

Wanting a domain name does not qualify

Domain names can fetch anything from a few dollars to in excess of 1 million at auction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

Thanks for the replies.
    On with my thinking cap and think of a few other names so.
    Cheers

Advertisement