Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with BT DSL - help!

Options
  • 15-01-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Until recently (the last year) our BT broadband has been fine. Over the last few weeks it has been dropping more and frequently and now is unusable as it drops every few seconds.

BT claim the problem is in the house, but I doubt this as we have not altered anything in the house, no new appliances, phone lines, etc. The Sky box and Alarm are NOT filtered, but never were, and the broadband was fine for a long time. They checked the phone line with their remote test and it came back RED but they claim that this test is not accurate and in unlikely to be the problem.

I have checked the connection at the main phone point and the DSL is still dropping the whole time.

We are in Newtownmountkennedy, Wicklow.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Sky box and Alarm are NOT filtered, but never were, and the broadband was fine for a long time.

Well this will definitely cause problems. Doesn't matter that they have never been filtered, perhaps you didn't notice it before. Unfiltered telephone (non-DSL) equipment on the line will cause dropouts. This is 99% likely to be the root cause.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just to save somebody typing it all over again, Read the FAQ
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Interesting stuff, thanks, I'll try all that.

Where can a buy these DSL filters, and do I need one on the phone as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can buy them online (komplett.ie or elara.ie maybe) or in shops like PC World. You need one on everything that isn't a DSL modem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you can buy on-line as they tend to be cheaper, PC world do sell ADSL filters but they overcharge for them in my view and also be careful as I've seen them sell ADSL Filters that are meant for BT sockets in the UK.

While these will work in Ireland when you get a BT to RJ11 adapter this only adds extra line noise to your broadband which could still cause problems (disconnections) so I'd recommend againts them.

In short you want a ADSL filter intended for sockets in Ireland (RJ11)

You need a ADSL filter for basically any device (phones, fax, etc) connected to the same telephone number your broadband is installed on, so if you have 5 phones in 5 different sockets then you need 5 filters.

Best way to test stuff is as per the FAQ, disconnecting everything using the line except one filter, the phone and modem plugged into the filter and then test with this setup :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Interesting stuff, thanks, I'll try all that.

Where can a buy these DSL filters, and do I need one on the phone as well?
    Just contact BT and say your require two Microfilters and they'll send them to you free of charge.

Advertisement