Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private domain

Options
  • 15-01-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi

is there any way of finding out who is behind a certain domain even if they have private switched on ?

chico

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Unless you are law enforcement - not easily

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

thanks for reply

what do you mean by law enforcement ?

suppose someone steals my domain - one day my details are in whois - next someone else has it and its been made private - how do i go about finding out who has it ?

thanks for reply

what do you mean by law enforcement ?
    fbi, gardai etc
    suppose someone steals my domain - one day my details are in whois - next someone else has it and its been made private - how do i go about finding out who has it ?

You'd have to contact a solicitor etc.,

Privacy is a two way street.

Even if I suspect that a client may not be up to any good I can't divulge their contact details due to privacy legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

blacknight wrote: »
    Even if I suspect that a client may not be up to any good I can't divulge their contact details due to privacy legislation.

sure you as a host i understand you cant divulge

but would a registrar (the new one) divulge ?

what would happen law enforcement wise if the new owner is in hmmm say asia ? would be a difficult one to track down ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

would a registrar (the new one) divulge ?
    The registrar would almost certainly be bound to the same (or similar local equivilant) data protection regulations that the host would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

How exactly did they take your domain?

Why all the hypothetical situations?

What's the story? What was the domain, .com .ie ? Had you it registered? Did you renew it?

The registrar would almost certainly be bound to the same (or similar local equivilant) data protection regulations that the host would be.
    Exactly

We're an accredited registrar for several TLDs anyway, so the lines get blurred very quickly :)

Advertisement